Recruiter claims no Option 40 in 2006, or BS line.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Sponge
Embryo

Recruiter claims no Option 40 in 2006, or BS line.

Post by Sponge »

I want to see if anyone knowledgable can verify this. I've been down at the recruiter's office on S Jackson in Seattle since the middle of December getting my ASVAB scores called up (since they were taken almost two years ago), contact information, people who know me, etc...all that good stuff. The recruiter was reffered to by a mutual friend who stated he was honest, so I decided to use the location in Seattle rather than several other, closer stations. I've let them know since day one that 91W with Option 40 was my goal and I wouldn't accept any less. They said I could check with MEPs and if they couldn't offer the contract or DEP time, I could just politely decline and try again another time until they give in.

It's now January 3rd, 2006 and two guys are running around trying to phone into "rock" (which I assume I spelled wrong, and is an acronym for some important place) to get me a 91W O40 and attempting to schedule me for a physical.. Despite some other recruiters in the room overhearing my firm demands and suggesting it's easy to volunteer after basic for Airborne and RIP/Ranger School, I won't. Sure, it's possible that I could do it that way, but it's not a guaranteed shot. Besides, I wouldn't settle for less...giving up and settling for something else would be the wrong attitude to begin with!

Anyhow, one of the recruiters was on the phone with this "rock" trying to get a slot open and he informs me after the phone call that as of 2006, they no longer offer Option 40's with any enlistment contract, including the infantry 11X enlistees due to too many washouts from the MOS. According to his words, it wasn't that there were no open slots...they stopped offering it altogether.

They chatted with one another about how "fucked up that was" and this and that and sounded truly dissapointed. I asked him to call back and check on an airborne option with 91W, in which he says it isn't an option either for 91W and that the only thing I could do is 91WM6; sorry but I'm not signing to become a licensed practical nurse. They said they'd continue trying but no guarantees. Now the recruiter pulls me outside and talks about how I can keep submitting requests and show up at bulletins posted on base if I enlist as a plain 91W with nothing else attached.

Why would they keep trying for me if it wasn't possible?

I KNOW that you could get 91W with airborne or Option 40 (seen it on this website) in the past. Since thusfar they've seemed to be fairly hardworking folks in an attempt to call this "rock" place (or they've honed in their salesman-like skills), I've given them the benefit of the doubt. I'm curious if policy has in fact changed, or the whole "let me make a phone call" situation is similar to the "let me ask my boss" act you get when negotiating prices for a new car.

I know some here have experience as recruiters and whatnot, connections, or the ability to check on these types of things...perhaps even a bit of pressure. I'd appreciate it if I could get insight on this and if there is indeed any truth behind this, and I apoligize in advance if I'm asking something completely asinine.

*Also, to note additional information noted in one of the stickies, I have my high school diploma and a 2 year AA degree from an accredited college. ASVAB was 97 with a GT of 125. I've still yet to take the physical to obtain my PULHES profile
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Don't know what's going on. I'll look into it.

I know Airborne should definitely be available.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
arock119
Embryo

Re: Recruiter claims no Option 40 in 2006, or BS line.

Post by arock119 »

Sponge wrote:I want to see if anyone knowledgable can verify this. I've been down at the recruiter's office on S Jackson in Seattle since the middle of December getting my ASVAB scores called up (since they were taken almost two years ago), contact information, people who know me, etc...all that good stuff. The recruiter was reffered to by a mutual friend who stated he was honest, so I decided to use the location in Seattle rather than several other, closer stations. I've let them know since day one that 91W with Option 40 was my goal and I wouldn't accept any less. They said I could check with MEPs and if they couldn't offer the contract or DEP time, I could just politely decline and try again another time until they give in.

It's now January 3rd, 2006 and two guys are running around trying to phone into "rock" (which I assume I spelled wrong, and is an acronym for some important place) to get me a 91W O40 and attempting to schedule me for a physical.. Despite some other recruiters in the room overhearing my firm demands and suggesting it's easy to volunteer after basic for Airborne and RIP/Ranger School, I won't. Sure, it's possible that I could do it that way, but it's not a guaranteed shot. Besides, I wouldn't settle for less...giving up and settling for something else would be the wrong attitude to begin with!

Anyhow, one of the recruiters was on the phone with this "rock" trying to get a slot open and he informs me after the phone call that as of 2006, they no longer offer Option 40's with any enlistment contract, including the infantry 11X enlistees due to too many washouts from the MOS. According to his words, it wasn't that there were no open slots...they stopped offering it altogether.

They chatted with one another about how "fucked up that was" and this and that and sounded truly dissapointed. I asked him to call back and check on an airborne option with 91W, in which he says it isn't an option either for 91W and that the only thing I could do is 91WM6; sorry but I'm not signing to become a licensed practical nurse. They said they'd continue trying but no guarantees. Now the recruiter pulls me outside and talks about how I can keep submitting requests and show up at bulletins posted on base if I enlist as a plain 91W with nothing else attached.

Why would they keep trying for me if it wasn't possible?

I KNOW that you could get 91W with airborne or Option 40 (seen it on this website) in the past. Since thusfar they've seemed to be fairly hardworking folks in an attempt to call this "rock" place (or they've honed in their salesman-like skills), I've given them the benefit of the doubt. I'm curious if policy has in fact changed, or the whole "let me make a phone call" situation is similar to the "let me ask my boss" act you get when negotiating prices for a new car.

I know some here have experience as recruiters and whatnot, connections, or the ability to check on these types of things...perhaps even a bit of pressure. I'd appreciate it if I could get insight on this and if there is indeed any truth behind this, and I apoligize in advance if I'm asking something completely asinine.

*Also, to note additional information noted in one of the stickies, I have my high school diploma and a 2 year AA degree from an accredited college. ASVAB was 97 with a GT of 125. I've still yet to take the physical to obtain my PULHES profile
Talk to recruiter Kurt Schreiber in Federal Way. His phone number is 253-839-0691.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Kid, don't do or sign jack shit until you hear back from SFC Hit_It 8)

As for you arock119.

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! YOU DON'T KNOW JACK SHIT!!!

AS A MATTER OF FACT DROP FOR ACTING LIKE YOU DO!!!

1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Recruiter claims no Option 40 in 2006, or BS line.

Post by Silverback »

arock119 wrote:Talk to recruiter Kurt Schreiber in Federal Way. His phone number is 253-839-0691.
This is an awesome example of what should get posted in your little Mutt hole (Minor Mayhem).
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Sponge
Embryo

Post by Sponge »

Ranger Bugsy:

Another recruiter on behalf of the one I am talking with called me multiple times today after I left and tried to convince me to take an 18X contract instead, this MOS, that MOS, etc. He tried to convince me to do an additional 18 month course to become a 91WM6 licenced practical nurse. :?

I just sternly (and politely) declined further activity. I'm going to hold out for this and I have no intentions of signing until the news is clear. I asked about airborne again and this particular guy tells me I can possibly get it. :roll: He kept saying I was breaking his balls and making it hard on him. Three guys next to one another, three different angles if you talk to them one at a time.

Nothing on my end will get signed or pushed further until SFC Hit_It returns with the fact-or-fiction verdict.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Sponge wrote:Ranger Bugsy:

Another recruiter on behalf of the one I am talking with called me multiple times today after I left and tried to convince me to take an 18X contract instead, this MOS, that MOS, etc. He tried to convince me to do an additional 18 month course to become a 91WM6 licenced practical nurse. :?

I just sternly (and politely) declined further activity. I'm going to hold out for this and I have no intentions of signing until the news is clear. I asked about airborne again and this particular guy tells me I can possibly get it. :roll: He kept saying I was breaking his balls and making it hard on him. Three guys next to one another, three different angles if you talk to them one at a time.

Nothing on my end will get signed or pushed further until SFC Hit_It returns with the fact-or-fiction verdict.
Until then....

Shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
nadnklipsch
United States Marine

Post by nadnklipsch »

I was just in the goarmy.com recruiter chat, and was told that the Option 40 program is still in effect.
3/7 No shit
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

nadnklipsch wrote:I was just in the goarmy.com recruiter chat, and was told that the Option 40 program is still in effect.
Jackass, Shut the fuck up - we don't go by rumors of what happens on another chat.

Drop and give Ranger Buggsy fiddy.

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Steadfast wrote:
nadnklipsch wrote:I was just in the goarmy.com recruiter chat, and was told that the Option 40 program is still in effect.
Jackass, Shut the fuck up - we don't go by rumors of what happens on another chat.

Drop and give Ranger Buggsy fiddy. Then re-review this FAQ (especially item "fourth") > http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1837

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
nadnklipsch
United States Marine

Post by nadnklipsch »

I apologize Ranger Steadfast, fifty knocked out for Ranger Bugsy. I'd just like to point out that I was told this information by an actual recruiter on goarmy.com, not just another newt or dep.
Knocking out another 25.
3/7 No shit
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

nadnklipsch wrote:I apologize Ranger Steadfast, fifty knocked out for Ranger Bugsy. I'd just like to point out that I was told this information by an actual recruiter on goarmy.com, not just another newt or dep.
Knocking out another 25.
fiddy more for failing to STFU

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Steadfast wrote:
nadnklipsch wrote:I apologize Ranger Steadfast, fifty knocked out for Ranger Bugsy. I'd just like to point out that I was told this information by an actual recruiter on goarmy.com, not just another newt or dep.
Knocking out another 25.
fiddy more for failing to STFU

YOU HEARD THE MAN SHIT STAIN...............FIDDY MO!!!

1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

You might learn to shut the fuck up one day.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Sponge...knock out a hundred for fucking your buddy.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “Recruitment Process”