Rappel Question

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

CMC makes an "escape eight" which is designed to use with smaller diameter lines. They work very well IMO, I have used them extensively.

http://www.cmcrescue.com/product.php?dept_id=1505
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Horned Toad wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:Damn.....I remember when all you needed to rappel was a snap link and a sling rope to tie a Swiss Seat with.
I meant snap link and since your still with us I am guessing that the above system worked
Yep, nothing will get you to pay attention in Knot Tieing Class better than knowing you're going to be tieing your own Swiss Seat! I STILL remember how!!!!!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Head175
Ranger

Post by Head175 »

Is the rope static or dynamic? I demand that my students use an ATC (Air Traffic Controller), especially with dynamic rope...it doesn't kink the rope up from twisting like a figure 8 does.

And this isn't some new fangled gear either, it is based on the same principle that the very early belay/rappel devices were based off of (belay plates/ spring plates etc.) The safest way nowadays is to use this device since it uses three partial bights for friction, and you can rig the device properly without taking it off your harness (that way Ranger can't accidentally drop it down the mountain with cold or tired hands). It also allows you to use two ropes, just like the figure eight, and you can tie "stopper knots" in the ends of the rope so one end doesn't snake its way through the device.

If you are in to climbing, this is also the best way to belay a lead climber, it locks off well (without relying on some mechanical device, mechanical things fail, ranger buddies don't) and is the fastest way to feed rope.

There are plenty out there on the market, there are actually five or six models of these on the wall in most climbing stores and it is getting hard to find figure 8s now...out dated.

Check out these ATCs, the XP is a little too much for me (10-11mm) but it may help you since you can choose your rate of decent depending on its configuration.

http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/Sear ... ca_New.asp?
lpos=leftnav&N=1027&Nu=p%5Frollup&Ntx=mode%5Fmatchallpartial&Ns
=p%5Fpopular%7C0%7C%7Cp%5Fname%7C0&Ntk=s%5Fsearch
RLTW
1/75 Ranger Batt. 4/99-3/03 Class 07-00
Bco. 1st. Plt &
Sniper Plt.
SOTIC
French Mtn Warfare School
EMT-I

MOLON LABE!

Return to “Personal Gear”