Combat Skills Course

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
airbornepog
Embryo

Combat Skills Course

Post by airbornepog »

We just finished the 1st combat skills course, the qualifying event for the tan beret. I got my tan beret! We started with 33 and graduated 16. They basically combined all the RIP/ROP events into a two week course, and we also did the RPAT. There was a lot of good training and classes. It was pretty cool for soft skills to receive training from the line NCO's in areas like close quarters marksmanship and combatives. Not many in the army get those opportunities.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

How about giving us a better breakdown of events by day (unless it's classified)
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

At least you earned something. Good for you.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
airbornepog
Embryo

Post by airbornepog »

PM Sent
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

airbornepog wrote:PM Sent
Attitude hasn't changed much.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Post by soldiersdad »

Hello Rangers, I am somewhat confused and am sure the Rangers on this board (not support rangers) might be able to clear things up for me. Does this 2 week soft training now diminish what soldirs go thru in actual RIP? Is it still going to be thought of now that any soldier that earns his Tan Beret ( whether thru RIP or the 2 week soft cousre) is still considered a Ranger? If one who earns the coveted Tan Beret thru the 2 week coursw called Ranger Smith or Ranger Support Smith or is there gong to be no distinction betwen the two combat or support unit? By no means am I intending to step on anyones toes here, meaning those who recieve their Tan Beret this new way. I do understand how important Support Units are thru-out the military. Just womewhat confused on why this was put into effect. I know what my son did to get where he is at. Guess it wouldn't bother me at all if these Support Units earned their Tan Beret the same route. Maybe I am wrong and this is not that big of a deal in the Ranger Community. Can't ask my Ranger cause at the time being I don't know where he is at right now. thank you
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

soldiersdad wrote:Hello Rangers, I am somewhat confused and am sure the Rangers on this board (not support rangers) might be able to clear things up for me. Does this 2 week soft training now diminish what soldirs go thru in actual RIP? Is it still going to be thought of now that any soldier that earns his Tan Beret ( whether thru RIP or the 2 week soft cousre) is still considered a Ranger? If one who earns the coveted Tan Beret thru the 2 week coursw called Ranger Smith or Ranger Support Smith or is there gong to be no distinction betwen the two combat or support unit? By no means am I intending to step on anyones toes here, meaning those who recieve their Tan Beret this new way. I do understand how important Support Units are thru-out the military. Just womewhat confused on why this was put into effect. I know what my son did to get where he is at. Guess it wouldn't bother me at all if these Support Units earned their Tan Beret the same route. Maybe I am wrong and this is not that big of a deal in the Ranger Community. Can't ask my Ranger cause at the time being I don't know where he is at right now. thank you
For the time being, Airbornepog will be titled Ranger Support.

There is no percieved degradation of RIP from CSC.

That's all on this one for now.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Bugsy
Ranger

Re: Combat Skills Course

Post by Bugsy »

airbornepog wrote:We just finished the 1st combat skills course, the qualifying event for the tan beret. I got my tan beret! We started with 33 and graduated 16. They basically combined all the RIP/ROP events into a two week course, and we also did the RPAT. There was a lot of good training and classes.
How much "smoke" training did you receive? Did you do the CWST, Road-March? 5 mile run etc.? Congratulations on passing the course btw. Did the 17 who didn't make it come up for worldwide redeployment?
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

So this two week course is a weeding out process as they gather Support Personnel enough to fill the ranks of being support and are allowed to wear the Tan Beret & Scroll too? I thought that some were going to be allowed to try to go through "regular" RIP/ROP.

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
airbornepog
Embryo

Post by airbornepog »

How much "smoke" training did you receive? Did you do the CWST, Road-March? 5 mile run etc.? Congratulations on passing the course btw. Did the 17 who didn't make it come up for worldwide redeployment?
Ranger Bugsy: We did the CWST, 12 Mile Road March, 5 mile run, and PT test to standard. We also did the RPAT, and RFR classes, marksmanship, commo, and other classes. Other than PT in the morning, we did not get "smoked". They combined a RIP/ROP class, we had PV2s and SFCs in the same class. Those who failed an event remained in the course for familiarization and training purposes, and will get the opportunity to take the course again.

The word on the street is that when the RSC is stood up those soldiers who cannot meet the standard will go worldwide, and soldiers will enter the Battalions through RIP and ROP just like everyone else. Some Rangers feel slighted that we wear the black pts and the tan beret without having to get the RIP treatment. I understand that sentiment. It would not have mattered to me. After nearly 4 months in Battalion doing pt every day the physical aspects of RIP would not have been an issue for me. Dealing with the mental aspects (gettng treated like shit) would have been tougher to deal with, but I couldn't go back to my section as the guy who quit RIP after being around for that long. Most of the soft skills would have preferred going to RIP as opposed to the CSC. The decision to offer the CSC was made many many pay grades above my head.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

My $0.02 worth.

I think that some RSC personnel are required ASAP to stand up the company. Thereafter it's another story. Those that did the two week course did in my opinion because of the requirement to start the company working.

Imagine if they had to go through RIP/ROP and the time consumed to get the initial company personnel to get this going. If they did not pass and then the wait for the next class.

Some times you have to give a little for the end result to be what you want.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

airbornepog wrote:...... Other than PT in the morning, we did not get "smoked".............. Those who "failed an event" ......will get the opportunity to take the course again. :shock:

"Some Rangers feel slighted that we wear the tan beret without having to get the RIP treatment."......(NO SHIT :evil:) I understand that sentiment. It would not have mattered to me. After nearly 4 months in Battalion doing pt every day the physical aspects of RIP would not have been an issue for me. Dealing with the mental aspects (gettng treated like shit) would have been tougher to deal with, The decision to offer the CSC was made many many pay grades above my head.
NO SMOKE SESSIONS!?! where you get smoked so bad you can barely remain in the front lean and rest, where you do so many flutterkicks you’d almost rather burn in hell or just bein smoked so bad you can’t tell when it starts and when it ends day and night. RIP Instructors trying to get you to quit

RIP is designed to determine the measure of your physical stamina, military abilities, and mental toughness . In essence to measure a man’s heart and determination under extreme duress. RIP Instructors constantly fuckin with you and you think that doesn’t make a difference? It makes one helluva difference, I don’t care if you have spent 4 months in the Regiment or not you may have a leg up on what to expect but it’s still not the same.

I understand Regiment trying to staff up quickly. You see I came in under those conditions when Col. Downing first activated Ranger Regimental HQ’s (The 3rd Col of the Regiment) and I was one of the first 71L’s to get there, but the chain of command would not reduce standards in order to meet staffing goals. I had to go through RIP and got fucked with by the RIP Instructors cause they “just knewâ€
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
airbornepog
Embryo

Post by airbornepog »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do not feel less than equal than someone who went through RIP. I do not feel equal to the "door kickers" and combat soldiers who have deployed and engaged the enemy in combat, at least from a Ranger/Military perspective. However, kicking down doors and fighting isn't my primary job in the army. I am a skilled technician who maintains ground support equipment and vehicles. Like I previously said, I understand the resentment of people who went through a bunch of shit to get to the battalion. But things change, and the army changes, and the "Back when it was hard" attitude was probably just as common with the older Rangers when you went through RIP. What I'm saying is that there are several things in the battalion that make me feel less than equal in a warrior sense, but going through the CSC instead of RIP is not one of them.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

airbornepog wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do not feel less than equal than someone who went through RIP. I do not feel equal to the "door kickers" and combat soldiers who have deployed and engaged the enemy in combat, at least from a Ranger/Military perspective. However, kicking down doors and fighting isn't my primary job in the army. I am a skilled technician who maintains ground support equipment and vehicles. Like I previously said, I understand the resentment of people who went through a bunch of shit to get to the battalion. But things change, and the army changes, and the "Back when it was hard" attitude was probably just as common with the older Rangers when you went through RIP. What I'm saying is that there are several things in the battalion that make me feel less than equal in a warrior sense, but going through the CSC instead of RIP is not one of them.
Blah, blah, blah, I'm a dirty tramp, blah, blah, blah..........
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

airbornepog wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do not feel less than equal than someone who went through RIP. I do not feel equal to the "door kickers" and combat soldiers who have deployed and engaged the enemy in combat, at least from a Ranger/Military perspective. However, kicking down doors and fighting isn't my primary job in the army. I am a skilled technician who maintains ground support equipment and vehicles. Like I previously said, I understand the resentment of people who went through a bunch of shit to get to the battalion. But things change, and the army changes, and the "Back when it was hard" attitude was probably just as common with the older Rangers when you went through RIP. What I'm saying is that there are several things in the battalion that make me feel less than equal in a warrior sense, but going through the CSC instead of RIP is not one of them.
From my perspective you seem to have a very good idea of how we feel about guys like you. You do a really good job of explaining the difference between CSC and RIP. You did lose some points by saying you feel the same as if you had gone thru RIP. As long as you and those like you know role your things should go well. I know it takes a massive amount of support to put dude's down range. I love a good support guy, whether it is PAC, supply or in the motor pool. There was a dude there a long time ago named Bertan or something like that. I hear he is a Warrant now but when he worked in the motor pool he was a sniveling, whining, tabless dick head who always bitched about us bringing back fucked up shit. Don't be that guy or let those around you be that guy either. You are there because Rangers need you and vice versa.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself

Return to “About RASP”