Seeking GPS advice

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Seeking GPS advice

Post by AngryPistols »

My wife needs help with land navigation(yeah, that's the ticket, my wife ) and I need help selecting between the Garmin Legend and the Magellan Explorist 200 handheld GPS.

Several years ago, I owned(it got ripped off) a Legend and liked it, with the exception of the base map. The base map was good for the entire US, but it lacked detail once you got off the highway. I mean really, I live in Texas. Is there any need for me to know where anything else is? :lol:

So, this weekend I set out to Cabela's in bustling Buda, Texas population < 4000( I think half of that IS Cabelas) and I couldn't decide so I put them both back.

Is either of these any better than the other or is there one that you guys would recommend? I mean come on, my wife needs help. :wink:

She would use it primarily for highway traveling, fishing, and the occasional camping trip thrown in and I would like to keep the price in the $150-200 range.

Angry(no I am NOT lost and I DON'T need directions, thank you very much)
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I've got a Garmin Vista and I wouldn't have it any other way!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ruffner275
Ranger

Post by Ruffner275 »

I have an atlas I bought from AAA for $6.99 and I wouldn't have it any other way! :P
12B1P 11th ACR 96-99
11B2V C co. 2/75 99-02
Class 8-00
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

For highway traveling, I think you would need something with a larger display, like a pda.

I just picked up a Garmin ForeTrex. It doesn't have cool maps, but it plots UTM and shows other cool stuff like top speed, time, average speed, distance, etc. I think it would work for fishing, just to mark good spots and show a trail to the spot.

The ForeTrex sure beats the hell out of a PLGR!
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
CAL
Paratrooper

Post by CAL »

Check your PMs.
ArmyParatrooper.org

514th Sig Co. (LRE) '97-'02
AATW!
Ruffner275
Ranger

Post by Ruffner275 »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:For highway traveling, I think you would need something with a larger display, like a pda.

I just picked up a Garmin ForeTrex. It doesn't have cool maps, but it plots UTM and shows other cool stuff like top speed, time, average speed, distance, etc. I think it would work for fishing, just to mark good spots and show a trail to the spot.

The ForeTrex sure beats the hell out of a PLGR!
I have a foretrex for running/hiking (nice and small).
12B1P 11th ACR 96-99
11B2V C co. 2/75 99-02
Class 8-00
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Desert Sloth wrote:Garmin Rhino 120 or 130....would not go with anything else after this one. It will download a shitload of map software for your every need.

On top of that, it has radio capabilities so you can two way with your partners and if you like the orienteering thing, you can page each other with current positions or waypoints.

Good shit.
Do you find the small screen to be a problem DS? Have you tried other models?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Desert Sloth wrote: But for what we do, it is an excellent tool for us to keep pace with where our flanking elements are, and in the case of tracking operations, the elements out front of us trying to pick up sign ahead of the tracking team can stay abreast of exactly where you are and the direction of travel.

We brought them back to reality, and I credit most of that to the coordinating efforts we had through the GPS' between the tracking team and the flanking elements.
So, what I hear here is that it's a great tool to use if you want to use the ability to coordinate with others, such as in a team environment, both for the uses you cited, as well as geocaching, or whatever, where this tool is allowed and a team approach is used. If it's an individual person though, I'd really like to have that larger screen that shows you more terrain than just what is right in front of you.

I've had the chance to check out a 130 here, but the location where I used it did not have much terrain variation. I'd really like to see one in a mountainous environment to see how the terrain features are displayed in that screen.

why

Post by Guest »

heres a hint if sign states mexico or canada then you may not be in texas anymore.. otherwise use computor at home, display sat. photo map and commit said image to your brain cells..
CCRN
Embryo

Post by CCRN »

I use an eTrex Vista C over here.

One plus is the color screen and the ability to switch from daytime to night background colors.

One negative is not having an external antena jack, so its worthless in the cab of an armored vehicle. I have to keep it in the turret to use it. It works fine in my POV though.

Return to “Personal Gear”