any of you ever serve as RTO's?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ChemLightBattery
Tadpole

any of you ever serve as RTO's?

Post by ChemLightBattery »

in the RTO for my platoon and would like to get whatever advice tips or tricks you guys can offer me. please IM me.

thanks in advance,
CLB
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

RTO is a good job. You want some cons to it?

1. You are always with the LT.

2. Heavy Ruck

3. You are always with the LT.
It's all good.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

SkyShark wrote:RTO is a good job. You want some cons to it?

1. You are always with the LT.

2. Heavy Ruck

3. You are always with the LT.
What he said! :lol:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

It's a good job
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

If you don't already, learn to make coffee now :D

If you already do, learn to start fetching it :twisted:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
ChemLightBattery
Tadpole

i was wondering if anyone here has ever been an RTO on a combat deployment particularly one in a mountainous environment. as for the job, i actually like the added responsibility of being the RTO, give me a challenge to learn a lot of things that most normal Joe's don't.

thanks
CLB
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Job sucks if you suck. Good job if you know your shit.

Radio's only work when they dont need to.
Platoon Leaders only work when they dont need to.
Platoon Leaders are often gay and expect you to be.

Fun things to do as an RTO.

Carry Exlax, spike LT's food and coffee.
Get Lomotil, he ass will explode.
If he is allergic to Poisen Ivy, make sure he sleeps in it.
If he doesnt like snakes, find them and use them at night.
Stir said coffee with your dick.

Have a goodun.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
RiserBurn
Ranger

Post by RiserBurn »

Stand by the LT and loud enough for him to hear act like you are on the radio and say, " I say again, THIS IS 6 ACTUAL, OVER!" When he asks whats goin on tell him the BC is looking for him and give him the hand mike.
1-503 INF (AASLT)
2-504 PIR
2-503 INF (ABN)
RS 11-01
Cpart84

Post by Cpart84 »

oh god, I cant wait to be an LT

::Inserted by admin::: SHUT THE FUCK UP!
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

centermass wrote:If you don't already, learn to make coffee now :D

If you already do, learn to start fetching it :twisted:
I purposely left that part out. My Platoon Sergeant (Who is now the SETAF CSM) insisted that if we stopped for more than 15 minutes, I was to have or be well into the process of making a cup of Coffee.

I felt priveleged to carry on that tradition with my Platoon RTO.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
HarleyRider
Paratrooper

Post by HarleyRider »

There is a Center for Army Lessons Learned BDU sized manual that details RTO duties, procedures, antennae building, commo fixes, status cards, and other info that will greatly aid you in your job as an RTO.

I will send you a hard copy of the Manual if you PM me your address.
101st 96-98
25th 98-00
173rd 00-03
JRTC 2003-Mar 06
On orders back to 173rd
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: any of you ever serve as RTO's?

Post by AbnRgr289 »

ChemLightBattery wrote:in the RTO for my platoon and would like to get whatever advice tips or tricks you guys can offer me. please IM me.

thanks in advance,
CLB
Honestly, if you pay attention, you will get the chance to learn alot.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
ChemLightBattery
Tadpole

i have been RTO for about 5 months now. its pretty cool i know my shit pretty well. i can definitely say I'm the best RTO in the company just cause when then other RTO's shit breaks they come see me. i am looking for information about transmission problems in a mountainous environment. effects of elevation on my equipment and in particular the effects on ANPRC148 (if anyone has any good MBITR tips please let me know) battery life. i have scoured over army lessons learned for any info but find nothing on transmission problems or tips in a place i could be attempting to transmit from in a few months. i have read on there about some units going back to the PRC68 for inter-platoon nets because of its transmission band is in a good place on the spectrum for transmitting through walls (IE in a mout environment) so i have been considering training up the platoon on that particular radio system but i don't know how good 68's will work in the mountains.

thanks agian
clb
HarleyRider
Paratrooper

Post by HarleyRider »

ChemLightBattery wrote:i have been RTO for about 5 months now. its pretty cool i know my shit pretty well. i can definitely say I'm the best RTO in the company just cause when then other RTO's shit breaks they come see me. i am looking for information about transmission problems in a mountainous environment. effects of elevation on my equipment and in particular the effects on ANPRC148 (if anyone has any good MBITR tips please let me know) battery life. i have scoured over army lessons learned for any info but find nothing on transmission problems or tips in a place i could be attempting to transmit from in a few months. i have read on there about some units going back to the PRC68 for inter-platoon nets because of its transmission band is in a good place on the spectrum for transmitting through walls (IE in a mout environment) so i have been considering training up the platoon on that particular radio system but i don't know how good 68's will work in the mountains.

thanks agian
clb
If you are going to deploy soon with your unit to this type of environment, you will be able to ask all of you question to the unit you are relieving during your relief in place operations. The men you are replacing will be able to tell you what equipment works the best under certain conditions. Their lessons learned will be invaluable to your operations in the upcoming deployment.
101st 96-98
25th 98-00
173rd 00-03
JRTC 2003-Mar 06
On orders back to 173rd
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

HarleyRider wrote:
ChemLightBattery wrote:i have been RTO for about 5 months now. its pretty cool i know my shit pretty well. i can definitely say I'm the best RTO in the company just cause when then other RTO's shit breaks they come see me. i am looking for information about transmission problems in a mountainous environment. effects of elevation on my equipment and in particular the effects on ANPRC148 (if anyone has any good MBITR tips please let me know) battery life. i have scoured over army lessons learned for any info but find nothing on transmission problems or tips in a place i could be attempting to transmit from in a few months. i have read on there about some units going back to the PRC68 for inter-platoon nets because of its transmission band is in a good place on the spectrum for transmitting through walls (IE in a mout environment) so i have been considering training up the platoon on that particular radio system but i don't know how good 68's will work in the mountains.

thanks agian
clb
If you are going to deploy soon with your unit to this type of environment, you will be able to ask all of you question to the unit you are relieving during your relief in place operations. The men you are replacing will be able to tell you what equipment works the best under certain conditions. Their lessons learned will be invaluable to your operations in the upcoming deployment.
Good advice. Also don't forget that LTs and RTOs make good and easy targets. Never let that LT become a target because you become one too. :roll:
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “The Mosh Pit”