College Then DEP

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: College Then DEP

Post by Silverback »

JTF wrote:I want to attend college before enlisting in the Army. I was talking to a Cyber Recruiter and she told me that I can only be in the DEP program for one year, and that it couldn't help to pay off college.
Sean, you can only be in the delayed entry or future soldier program for 365 days. It will not help you to pay for college.
But, I got a brochure from a recruiter I ran into the other day, and it says this:
College First: This option could allow you to attend college or vocational/technical school for up to two years while reamaining a civilian in the Army's Delayed Entry Program (DEP). As a DEP Soldier, you will receive a monthly allowance of $250 during the first year and $350 for the second year of school. If you complete 30 or more credit hours or receive a certificate of training, you could enter the Army at an advanced pay grade.
Which one is more accurate?

Thanks.

JTF
There is a difference between "College First" and "Delayed Entry"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

The college first program only allows you to remain in the DEP for 2 years.

If you don't want to leave by that time, wait to join.

Don't wast anyone's time.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: College Then DEP

Post by hit_it »

JTF wrote:
Silverback wrote:
JTF wrote:I want to attend college before enlisting in the Army. I was talking to a Cyber Recruiter and she told me that I can only be in the DEP program for one year, and that it couldn't help to pay off college.
But, I got a brochure from a recruiter I ran into the other day, and it says this:
Which one is more accurate?

Thanks.

JTF
There is a difference between "College First" and "Delayed Entry"
Thanks for the fast response Ranger Silverback.

According to that paragraph from the brochure, wouldn't you attend say, a four-year college. And at the end of your sophmore year of college you would enlist, and spend your junior and senior year of college in the DEP program? Getting paid $250 a month (junior year) and $350 a month (senior year). Then once you finish senior year, you would go through BCT, AIT and whatever other training you signed up for in your contract?

Or does it work much differently then that?

Thanks again.

JTF
It works almost exactly like that.

You will not pick an MOS first, but will return to MEPS at a later date to do so.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

[quote="JTF"]Hey again,

I got an email back from the Cyber Recruiter today.

[quote]
Hi Sean,

Yes, that is a program that has been discontinued. We no longer call our delayed entry program “DEPâ€
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Slims

Post by Slims »

There is another option...

I enlisted after I graduated college, and with a mountain of student loan debt. The Army has a loan repayment program you can opt into in lieu of the GI bill.

They will repay stafford loans and the like, though private loans are not covered by the program. For me this means the Army is repaying my cost of tuition plus some of my living expenses. Furthermore, since I did not sign a contract until I was ready to ship out I was given an $8K quick ship bonus.

Hope this helps,
Greg700
LLVI_Guy
Paratrooper

Post by LLVI_Guy »

Edit: post deleted/already addressed.
Romans, these are your arts: to bear dominion over the nations, to impose peace, to spare the conquered and subdue the proud. -Virgil Aeneid 6.851
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

JTF wrote:
Greg700 wrote:There is another option...

I enlisted after I graduated college, and with a mountain of student loan debt. The Army has a loan repayment program you can opt into in lieu of the GI bill.

They will repay stafford loans and the like, though private loans are not covered by the program. For me this means the Army is repaying my cost of tuition plus some of my living expenses. Furthermore, since I did not sign a contract until I was ready to ship out I was given an $8K quick ship bonus.

Hope this helps,
Greg700
Thanks for the response Greg700.

I'm aware of this program, only there is one downside. When you enlist, you have to choose an MOS in need. I don't know which "MOS" one chooses for Rangers. I know the 18x MOS series is available now - but there's no guarantee that Rangers or Special Forces will be on that list when I'm ready to enlist. But if they are, then I will most likely do that program.

Thanks again for the reply.

JTF
11X is always available for the SLRP. You can get an Option 40 with the SLRP as well.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”