On the Topic of Looters...

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

On the Topic of Looters...

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Seeing all these fucks running around with tv's and suits and other bullshit, robbing reporters of their cameras, and people running around with automatic rifles (according to some reports) really pisses me off. Something terrible happens and all the oxygen thieves turn a disaster area into Escape from NY.

Initially, I thought this was wrong as two boys fucking. Then I thought about if I was there right now, what I'd be doing. Well, I'd be getting my wife and my self the fuck out of there. Pretty much in survival mode because of the fucking criminals running around. If for some reason, I didn't already have the means to protect us, feed us, and get us out of there, I would acquire them. If that means going into Sports Authority and borrowing a canoe and a shotgun, then that's what I'd do.

So, when do you cross the line from being a fucking shitbag criminal to trying to protect your family and get them to safety?

Is any of it really necessary? Will help make it to the people who need it in time?

Is there a real threat from other people? It sure sounds like it to me.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

By AARON SHAROCKMAN, CHRIS TISCH and CRAIG PITTMAN
Published September 1, 2005

NEW ORLEANS - The hopelessness hanging over this flooded city deepened Wednesday as fires burned unchecked, looters ransacked stores and the mayor predicted the death toll from Hurricane Katrina could climb into the thousands.

Martial law

Looters were helping themselves, ransacking stores and houses for food, clothing, appliances and guns. Thieves chased a state police truck full of food.

In one neighborhood that had not been flooded, looters commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a Rite-Aid pharmacy.

As survivors struggled with a disaster that left damage of up to $25 billion, a gargantuan relief effort began. Ships, planes, helicopters and convoys of supplies and rescue teams converged on the Gulf Coast, and Pentagon officials said 30,000 National Guard and active-duty troops would be deployed by this weekend in the largest domestic relief effort by the military in the nation's history.

With police officers and National Guard troops giving priority to saving lives, looters brazenly ripped open gates and ransacked stores for food, clothing, television sets, computers, jewelry and guns, often in full view of helpless law-enforcement officials. Dozens of carjackings, apparently by survivors desperate to escape, were reported, as were a number of shootings.

On Wednesday night, Mayor Nagin ordered 1,500 police officers, most of the city's force, to turn from search and rescue to stopping the looting.

"They are starting to get closer to the heavily populated areas - hotels, hospitals - and we're going to stop it right now," he said in a statement issued to The Associated Press.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: On the Topic of Looters...

Post by Silverback »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Seeing all these fucks running around with tv's and suits and other bullshit, robbing reporters of their cameras, and people running around with automatic rifles (according to some reports) really pisses me off. Something terrible happens and all the oxygen thieves turn a disaster area into Escape from NY.

Initially, I thought this was wrong as two boys fucking. Then I thought about if I was there right now, what I'd be doing. Well, I'd be getting my wife and my self the fuck out of there. Pretty much in survival mode because of the fucking criminals running around. If for some reason, I didn't already have the means to protect us, feed us, and get us out of there, I would acquire them. If that means going into Sports Authority and borrowing a canoe and a shotgun, then that's what I'd do.

So, when do you cross the line from being a fucking shitbag criminal to trying to protect your family and get them to safety?

Is any of it really necessary? Will help make it to the people who need it in time?

Is there a real threat from other people? It sure sounds like it to me.
Let's review....

1. The people of New Orleans were given advance notice of an impending cat-5 Hurricane.

2. The people of New Orleans were given options other than "Defend in place", such as leave, come to the dome, etc...

3. Some of the people of New Orleans chose to "Ride out the Storm". To Calrify some of the "Riders" were not in a position to leave but the preponderence of people were able bodied and chose to stay for nefarious reasons.

On the topic of survival (self or family) the intelligent decision was to leave at the earliest possibility. I doubt the people scurrying through the streets with boxes of clothing, tennis shoes, DVD players, TVs, etc... are scavenging to survive. They are straight up THIEVES!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

It's painfully obvious to me now that a tangible portion of the New Orleans population stayed behind FOR the prospect of looting.

Armed gangs have already shot one cop in the head. They shot at a Chinook helicopter this morning which was contiuing the rescue operations.

There is a major difference between going into survival mode and going into lawless chaos. This looting, for now, should be priority one until the city is under control. Only then can any meaningful recovery effeorts make any headway. The governor / AG should issue shoot on sight orders for looters / armed thug gangs, and in a day or two the process could get going again. If they DON'T get it under control quickly, then New Orleans could indeed turn into a real life no shit Escape from New York scenario.

I don't see that happening, but I think the LA Governor and others in charge are moving far too slowly in getting the looting stamped out.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Looting for the purpose of survival - ie. food and water - should not be charged in my view. But looting for economic gain should be shot on site.

I don't think armed individuals should be shot on site as there are many business owners who stayed back to protect their assets and they ought to, by God be allowed to shoot any motherfucker who tries to rip them off.

I've got some friends who work in Metairie and either live there or in NOLA. I sure hope they are OK and that their business assets, and employees are all OK.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

I think there is a difference between store owners protecting property, and what NO is facing right now. News reports shows widespread lawlessness. Gangs running around with AK clones screaming "Fuck the Police" and taking pop shots and anyone and everyone, including military birds.

Kill a few of the punks, and lets get goings with the recovery.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

Creeping Death wrote:I think there is a difference between store owners protecting property, and what NO is facing right now. News reports shows widespread lawlessness. Gangs running around with AK clones screaming "Fuck the Police" and taking pop shots and anyone and everyone, including military birds.

Kill a few of the punks, and lets get goings with the recovery.

Agreed. Set the precedance early and hard.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
Southern_Brit
Tadpole

Post by Southern_Brit »

Couldn't believe the pictures I saw in our papers of the looters, people grabbing clothes and jewellry - one guy filling a shopping cart with so much food and a fucking microwave (There's no power!!??)
If you're stuck there (why you didn't heed the warning and get out before?!) then I see why you'd go for food (I would, but honestly would turn up to that store afterwards and pay for what I'd taken)...but looting is out of order - and as for the report I heard on the helo being shot at... that is fucking insane - cunts like that should need shooting.
It's going to be crazy there for a while - this is where people need to muck in together, help each other and have the spirit that will get you through this - not start fucking robbing and killing!!
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Southern_Brit wrote:Couldn't believe the pictures I saw in our papers of the looters, people grabbing clothes and jewellry - one guy filling a shopping cart with so much food and a fucking microwave (There's no power!!??)
If you're stuck there (why you didn't heed the warning and get out before?!) then I see why you'd go for food (I would, but honestly would turn up to that store afterwards and pay for what I'd taken)...but looting is out of order - and as for the report I heard on the helo being shot at... that is fucking insane - cunts like that should need shooting.
It's going to be crazy there for a while - this is where people need to muck in together, help each other and have the spirit that will get you through this - not start fucking robbing and killing!!
New Orleans is a different planet and people really have no idea (on the outside) was a shithole it is in terms of the people. Sorry to all you Cajuns but you know it's true as well. The Military is not allowed to turn it's weapons on its own people except by decree of the President. Thus, the National Guard has weapons but no bullets. If anyone has been there and witnessed the Algeirs projects, Felicity Street projects near the wharf warehouses you know.....this place is going to go fucking nuts and what you are seeing is the tip of the ice berg. That city will never be the same....ever. And then you have the feel good crowd of liberals who want to throw money at it but not face the tough issues. That city, where it is, should not be there and the majority of the people who do the looting will continue to steal, hijack, murder, and be what they are. Career criminals and trash.
I think it would take over 30,000 troops to get that place under control to any meaningful degree. Martial Law will have not much impact because those that break the law are turned loose.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

This may piss people off, but here goes. I got detailed to New Orleans for two weeks on a recruiting detail from Battalion. The place was a shokc to me. A total and complete shithole. You got Borboun Street and the French Quarter. Rest of the city was a complete cesspool. Some of the high schools mysel and my fellow Ranger went to looked liked some thing from Mogadishu. As far as I'm concerned, we should make every effort to save the law abiding. After a certain amount of time has passed, totally seal the city off and let the degenerate, asshole pieces of shit kill themselves. Then neutron bomb the place and start from scratch.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

wazzle wrote:And now, they are bussing them to Texas- I bet they love that shit.
Yea, we are fucking thrilled. :roll:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

Houston doesn't count.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

OK, NO has a huge amount of scumbags running around taking everything they can.

What are the people, such as the hospital workers who were left behind after all the patients were evaced, supposed to do? It seems like they need to leave, like right now.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto

Return to “The Mosh Pit”