Now at RIP Holdover

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Morris0352
Ranger

Now at RIP Holdover

Post by Morris0352 »

Hey guys, I'm now back at Benning. On the 8th the RIP HOLD Cadre came to pick us up but my BAC company had lost our Jump Logs so we had to wait about a week. They came back two days ago and picked 100 or so of us up. we inprocessed and my PT test is on the 29th. RIP should start the 4th of February. I'm really really excited for RIP but the RIP Pending barracks are going to suck bad. We've got way too many guys here because VW(Voluntary Withdrawal) has been cancelled. They told us specifically that you cannot quit. I wish that they'd let the guys that wanna leave leave so that there'd be more room. Right now I'm gonna be sleeping on a cot for 2 weeks, but it'll be worth it. Anyways I wanted to let you know what's up. RIP is still 3 weeks but after you graduate they give you a 3 day pass and you come back for marksmanship.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Go Rippy go. Yer surprising the hell out a me Morris. One day at a time and you'll be a Ranger before ya know it.

Fucking A dude. Keep us posted and drive on.

RLTW
Bell
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

First off, Change that avatar first chance you get Morris - otherwise you could suffer the fate of PaleHorsePillowbiter - have you seen a PFC Mazzey around by the way, perhaps asking the RIP Cadre when it would be OK to quit?

Second off, the reason they don't allow anyone to quit yet is because all these new RIPpies get a little scared by the sudden reality of the whole thing. Gee, "these guys are serious and I'll be going to war soon if I continue". No Shit.

It all seems very REAL then. So, you have a lot of people who would like to quit the instant they get there. Some of the guys who quit right away realize later that they should not have quit, that they maybe had what it takes but will now never know if they do or not.

For that reason, they make 'em wait until after the PT test until the first day of training, or more appropriately weeding out, until they can quit. Trust me, once the real smoking begins you'll have only 50-60% of the people that you have there now and those who quit will move to different barracks, mostly within 30-60 minutes of quitting.

Be looking now for the weak minded individual who is in a bunk that you'd like to have and after the first day, be the first to get into the barracks that night, so you can grab the best newly abandonded bunk that you want.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Morris,
Glad you're keeping us posted on your progress, we really are cheering for you. Use as much of this time as you can to work on your PT test (conditioning, technique, etc.) Stay totally focused and make us proud.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Good luck.

Spartan spoke some words of wisdom.

When I went through RIP, the rumor was they were fattening up Batt for the expected 50-75% casualties expected in Desert Storm 1.

You can't worry about any of that BS. There is never an excuse for being a pussy.....you either suck it up, or you don't.

Thousands of men have done the exact same thing before you-many smaller and maybe even weaker then you. It's all in your mind.

YOU are the only one who can make yourself quit.

You sound like you got a good mental outlook right now. One day at a time.....NEVER QUIT!!!!!
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Listen to these guys, Morris. Do exactly as you're told, no more or less. Just put one foot in front of the other....and never quit. If you die, then have your NOK (next of kin) PM the moderators here. :twisted:
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

Good luck Morris!!!

PS- How's Marcus Crabtree from Cincinnati holding up?? :lol:
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

Thank you very much Rangers, I appreciate all of your support.

Ranger Bell: I tried writing you at OSUT to your address in Colorado but it got sent back to me so I figured that I had the wrong address so I never tried again. Oh well. Thank you

Ranger Spartan: So many guys here are VERY burnt out from being away from home for 4-5 months. I know that's nothing compared to being deployed but most of us are fresh high school graduates and we've never been away from home for more than a week. I think that we're all still trying to get adjusted and it's REALLY hard for a lot of people. Most people just want some stability right now. They want to get stationed ANYWHERE because they're tired of being moved around every week or two and have to adjust. I know it's no excuseby any means. It's just something that all of us aren't used to so it'll just take a little time. We were told that we would not be allowed to quit at all. The exact words were "You signed a contract and we're gonna hold you to it" there are TONS of guys who are going to intentionally fail the pt test twice so that they'll get out, which is fucking retarded in my opinion. Tons of guys would give their right arm for a chance and they're just blowing it.

Ranger ImportsRsloths: He absolutely does NOT care at all. He hasn't gotten a haircut for about 3 weeks, he mopes around and talks about how much he doesn't want to be there. The cadre will probably treat him like shit for a few months and then send him to Kelley Hill. He doesn't care though, I guess that's him though.

Thank you all again for your support. I"ll keep you all posted.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That's fine. No need to bag on them. They just don't have what it takes to be a Ranger, which to me means living with uncertainty and having the force of will to change circumstances from that which is uncertain, to making it so it is certain, or a favorable outcome.

That's big picture stuff right there and many individuals thinking the same way, and acting as a team, can change the world. Look at all the small actions which occurred in Normandy on June 6, 1944.

A handful of men leading others changed the lives of millions of people occupying an entire continent for more than a half century.

These guys that are in the barracks with you now, moping around, complaining about circumstances which will only continue for the next six weeks are passing the opportunity to immortalize themselves, by being part of history, by forever being able to look back and say - 'Yeah, the Sandinistas are not ruining Nicaragua anymore cause I was part of a team which pressured them in the 1980's', or that 'I was part of a team which rescued an American citizen from Iraqi's during war and recovered the bodies of American soldiers so their families could have peace of mind', or 'I helped boot Noriega out of Panama so the people there could live in peace and have democracy', or 'Europe is now free and Hitler is gone cause me and my buds stormed the beaches and cliffs under fire and took over their positions'.

And they're worried about a couple of weeks? They don't deserve it and they can't see it. It's so close, but for them, they can't even taste it. They've lost sight of their objective and only want in life that which is handed to them on a silver platter. Life is not that way. Greatness is at hand - it's yours for the taking - if you want it bad enough.

Good luck Morris. Stay focused. Don't quit. Ever.

Return to “About RASP”