hey everyone

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

navymech
US Navy Veteran

hey everyone

Post by navymech »

Hey everyone. My name is Jeremiah I just got out of the Navy after doing 4 years as a avaition machinists mate which is the tech term for jet engine grease monkey. I did 3 years at MCBH kaneohe bay which was pretty fuckin sweet, and a couple deployments in Japan and Thailand. Yeah yeah i know im a dirty squid. Anyway I've been reading the boards on this site the last few days, so i figured I'de register.

I got out of the Navy because it just wasnt my cup of tea. I wish i had gone into the army in the first place but 2 of my friends were going into the Navy so we all did that. Now i'm working as a dispatcher at the local PD and planning on joining the Army within the next 6 months after i get my civilian ass in shape. I plan on staying in until i retire which would be 16 more years since my 4 in the Navy will count. One thing i've noticed is a few of you only did short tours as Rangers if im not mistaken. Is it hard to stay on for a whole career under the Bat. When i get in i want to stay in until its time to retire. I have a few more questions but its almost 4am and im gonna pass out pretty soon. Its been a pleasure reading all your posts and hopefully ill have the honor of being a Ranger soon. Until then feel free to bag on me about the seaman thing :)
hops_scout
Embryo

Post by hops_scout »

If you would pay close attention, you'll find that you cant get an Option 40 contract therefor you wont be a Ranger.
Bell

Post by Bell »

In reference to the part of your question about short time spans being served in Ranger Battalion......

There's many reasons. Where do I begin? The pace is so fast, the standards are so high, the expectations so strong, that many just flat burn out. They just get tired. Then we have injuries. I've seen many a good soldier fall by the wayside because of an injury or because he didn't heal fast enough.

There's a thousand reasons why guys don't stay in Ranger Battalions very long. It's not a regular job and it's not regular army.

RLTW
Bell
Bell

Post by Bell »

Obviously hops isn't a Ranger or Ranger material. Did ya notice he used that damn word "can't" in his statement. hmmmmm. Can't is an excuse. Erase that word from yer vocabulary and brain group then ya just might be able to do anything. Kinda like some other guys I know.

RLTW
Bell
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Welcome to the site NavyMech and congratulations on having the balls to make a strong u-turn in the midst of your life. Thank you for your service to our nation already.

What sort of aircraft did you work on and when you were deployed did you work off a carrier or did you work on a land based strip?

Best bet is to try getting an Airborne Unassigned contract and volunteer for RIP when the RIP/Ranger Recruiter comes by. If you can't get Airborne in your contract, then you'll have to go serve somewhere in the Army and then volunteer for the Regiment mid-tour. It's not impossible to do, it's just not the instant gratification that most Americans prefer.

As for myself, I departed 2/75 Ranger to go to Special Forces.

And, as further way of your greeting to the site, as a Veteran of the US Armed Forces, you can select pretty much any avatar you would like - AND - should have posted your intro in the Introductions section.

** Moved to the Appropriate Forum ** (Upgrade) **
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Navymech-

Welcome.

As for one of your questions....

Like it has been said, a lot of folks get injured, and I lot of folks get burnt out. It's hard if you are married, I guess I spent about 1-2 months total time at home in a year.

Not too many folks stay in Batt more then 8 years...yes there are some. Most folks do their 4 or less and get out......Two of my buds did 4, re-upped for 4, did 2 more in Batt and then went SF.
navymech
US Navy Veteran

Post by navymech »

Thanks for all your responses. I was under the impression that you couldnt get the opt 40 if you were prior service and had an other than honorable discharge like my pussy ass old party buddy in highschool that thought NAVY BOOTCAMP was to hard and broke his fucking ankles in the stairwell. But I havent been to talk to the recruiter or MEPS again yet since its about a 3 hour drive and work is pretty busy.

As for Spartans question I worked on P-3 anti sub planes those bastards are to big to fit on a carrier so I never had to go on a ship but I got more than my fair share of flight hours I might as well been fucking aircrew. You might have seen them on the news a couple years back when one collided with a Chiniese Mig and had to do an emergency landing in China. My drinking buddy was on that plane said he almost shit his pants when everyone started pulling out shotguns and hammers and destroying all the equipment on the plane hahaha. I spent some time in Cadena and Misawa and the imfamous Pattaya Beach Thailand i got some insane drinking stories about those places but thatll have to wait for later.

I plan on going into the Army either way and if I cant get OPT 40 i can wait its going to be 16 years anyway and im sure I'll need some variety throughout my career. I ditched my fiance back in my Navy days after I figured out long distance relationships are hard as hell. My mom almost bitch slapped my when I went in the Navy and now that I've been back for a year im sure she is going to flat out fucking dropkick me in the sternum for joining the Army but i gotta get outa this boring shithole or a town and i can think of no other job i would rather have. Damn this is long sorry im bored and its my day off so im gonna be lazy today. I'll talk to you all later take care guys.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

That whole p-3 landing in china was a crock..I remember when those guys came back, they treated them like heroes..... :roll:

I also know they didn't destroy everything that they needed to either.

Not a dig on you or your buddy, that just reminded me.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Where do you live in MO? I'm originally from the St Louis area.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

wm311 wrote:That whole p-3 landing in china was a crock..I remember when those guys came back, they treated them like heroes..... :roll:
In my book, if they were heroes what they should have been doing is putting emergency fucking parachutes on and checking their charts for where the deep water was. Talk about some bullshit. Land a plane on an intelligence collecting mission on an adversary's doorstep.

Great - I'm guilty of being a monday AM QB. Why in the hell didn't they just get off the plane and blow it in place within two minutes of landing? I'll never understand that one. I hope they got fired instead of getting medals - whoever the commander - the decision maker was.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I hear ya Spartan...but those fuckers got medals...ridiculous....
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome to the site Navy Mech and thank you for serving our country. I appreciate what you have done already. Good Luck on your future endeavors.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
navymech
US Navy Veteran

Post by navymech »

I'm way down south by Branson originally from Wisconsin in the Stevens Point area i moved down here when i was 12. Another question for you guys not sure if youll be able to answer it but if i went into the Army as a helo mech would i be able to apply for Ranger school later on with that MOS I know the Navy was really bad about cross rating once you were in a rating you were stuck there. Thats one of the main reasons i got out they werent going to let me cross rate to MP. Oh yeah damn shame both of our teams got booted out of the playoffs first round that sucks ass.
Shop smart shop S-Mart, YOU GOT THAT!!!!!

AD2 US Navy 98-02

Return to “Introduction Archive”