Most Memorable Novel You've Ever Read?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

"The Grapes of Wrath", John Stienbeck, I read most of his books in RVN. I've also read all of Ian Fleming, Louis LaMore(sp), and Clive Cusslers books, as well as Gary Linderer and the rest of Ranger Hobbitts buddies.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I read Michael Durant's book "In the Company of Heroes" a while back. I don't know how he did it, but my Dad obtained an autographed copy of it from Mr. Durant and gave it to me for Christmas.

Wow. What a very good book. The part where he disclosed how his eye socket and jaw was REALLY broken, really put me at a loss for words. It was good to see his perspective whilst the Studs were fighting it out on the streets.

Great read!

I have had so many books that have moved me over the years. One of my favorites from my youth was "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. Believe it or not, I have actually met Mr. Mason... he lives near my Dad.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

GSXRanger wrote:I read Michael Durant's book "In the Company of Heroes" a while back. I don't know how he did it, but my Dad obtained an autographed copy of it from Mr. Durant and gave it to me for Christmas.

Wow. What a very good book. The part where he disclosed how his eye socket and jaw was REALLY broken, really put me at a loss for words. It was good to see his perspective whilst the Studs were fighting it out on the streets.

Great read!

I have had so many books that have moved me over the years. One of my favorites from my youth was "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. Believe it or not, I have actually met Mr. Mason... he lives near my Dad.
I got to meat Mike Durant and talk with him for a few seconds at the last 75th RRA Reunion, he was the guest speaker at the banquet. An unbelievably hard core individual!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Slowpoke wrote: I got to meat Mike Durant and talk with him for a few seconds at the last 75th RRA Reunion, he was the guest speaker at the banquet. An unbelievably hard core individual!

:shock:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Where the red Fern grows.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

To Kill A Mockingbird

I can't quite put my finger on why, but this is my favorite book of all time. I've probably read it about 25 times
I concur, even named my dog Harper after Harper Lee. Definitely a favorite.

Other Favorites:
Cryptonomicon, and the Baroque Cycle series
, Neal Stephenson: hilarious and historical

The most Memorable...
Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon: It was a chore, took me a year of off and on reading with a dictionary and readers guide by my side to get through it. It was funny, I guess, but funny like a joke that you have to look up to understand the punch line. Supposedly you have to read it at least twice to get anything out of it. No thank you once was enough.

Reading Now:
Sacred Games, Vikram Chandra :very good so far, Helps to know something about Indian(Eastern) Culture and Language but there is a Glossary that helps
Last edited by DJB on June 17th, 2007, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

bustedkidney wrote: I concur, even named my dog Harper after Harper Lee. Definitely a favorite.
Funny, I have a dog named Boo Radley and one named Dill.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RetPara
Ranger

Post by RetPara »

This whole thread looks a LOT like my bookshelves...

For further consideration I would have to recommend any by the late James Michener or Leon Uris.

Michener wrote a lot of historical fiction backed up by a LOT of research. He's mostly famous for his 'Tales of the South Pacific' based on his adventures in the Navy in WWII. He also wrote non fiction; 'Kent State' arriving on site to start the research about 48 hours after the shooting and 'Sports in America' a little dated since it was done in the 70's (?) but has still useful data on exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_A._Michener

Leon Uris also wrote historical fiction on a variety of historical fiction with his most famous work being 'EXODUS'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Uris
CrashKILL
Ranger

Post by CrashKILL »

I'm not going to limit myself to just one choice. My three selections are pretty widely known.

"Gates of Fire", "Blood Meridian" and "Once an Eagle".
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

2/75 99-03
Class 8-00
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

borebrush wrote:Animal Farm
Excellent choice. One of the most deceptive books of the century.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

"Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates" by Tom Robbins

Read it, you won't be sorry. It's one long fucking rant without any chapters, and it's 445 pages long!!!

I've not laughed this hard while reading a book in a very long time.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
Jason113
US Army Veteran

Post by Jason113 »

borebrush wrote:Animal Farm
That's a damn good read.

For me, it's a tossup between:

1984 by George Orwell and Fareinheit 451 by ray Bradbury.
11-M,B co. 3/15 Inf.
24th I.D. 90-91
Formerly the_machine

Return to “The Mosh Pit”