Grappling

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
CrashKILL
Ranger

Post by CrashKILL »

Pugil sticks are fucking useless.

Grappling has it's place, and they should augment it with thai boxing and some wrestling.

Muay Thai + Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu > anything with a dan

Furthermore, you could also substitute boxing for muay thai. If a thai boxer or muay thai guys wants you out of it, and you try them on their feet...well, you're going to fucking sleep.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

2/75 99-03
Class 8-00
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

CrashKILL wrote:Pugil sticks are fucking useless.

Grappling has it's place, and they should augment it with thai boxing and some wrestling.

Muay Thai + Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu > anything with a dan

Furthermore, you could also substitute boxing for muay thai. If a thai boxer or muay thai guys wants you out of it, and you try them on their feet...well, you're going to fucking sleep.
I noticed the other night that one of the coaches on The Ultimate Fighter show was a Muay Thai kickboxing expert.

Ganyao Fairtex
Light Heavyweight
6'4, 210 lbs.

Ganyao is the Muay Thai kickboxing expert brought in to teach the fighters the techniques he has learned through his many years of training. Originally from Thailand, Ganyao has over 60 fights in traditional Muay Thai. He is now one of the head trainers at the Fairtex Gym in San Francisco.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
MORIBUND88
Embryo

Post by MORIBUND88 »

Fondue wrote:
Martialboxer wrote:
want2race wrote:I agree with the "dropping the weapon because it takes two hands". The marines adopted a style very close to "Gracie", but it's designed to be quicker and more lethal, with less ground fighting.

They taught it in Phase one of the Q.Course. I was almost laughing the whole time because it was "old hat".
I agree it's close. The martial arts program that the Marines has a LOT of Okinawan, Japanese, Korean, and Western influences. BJJ comes from judo.

The thing with martial arts is, that there is no such thing as a superior style technically speaking, just superior training methods and superior fighters. The Gracies are more involved with sport fighting which can relate to real combat but sport fighting is still sport fighting.
BJJ is a decendant of pure Japanese Jiu Jitsu (which may itself be a decendant of Judo) A Japanese guy (I can't remember exactly what he did) to pay back a favor, basically, taught JJ to Helio Gracie, who then modified it slightly to become BJJ. Grappling is a VERY important style/technique (whatevr you want to call it) to learn as most fights end up on the ground. While, BJJ is a great sport art, it is also a great COMBAT art. You can disable your enemy pretty easily using certain BJJ techniques. I train a bit in Muay Thai & Submission Wrestling/BJJ. I think that combination is a great one for REAL OR Sport fighting. It all depends on how it's used, etc. I can't speak on what the military teaches, I've just heard a few stories about the Gracies helping them out, and I believe it is the Marines that have a lot of BJJ in their unarmed/hand2hand combat training. BJJ, in a real fight, is good if you get taken down, it's good for reversing positions, and it's ESPECIALLY effective when you are fighting an untrained opponent. If you have a guy that is basically, "just a tough guy" "streetfighter" type, you'll have a huge advantage over him.
Actually, Judo is derived from Jiu-Jitsu. Jiu-Jitsu was the form that the Samuri's developed when, during battle, a weapon was lost, they could attack the vulnerable point on the human body while they and their opponents were wearing armor

Cheers
Should you fall my friend, another friend will emerge from the shadows to take your place.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

MORIBUND88 wrote:
Fondue wrote:
Martialboxer wrote: I agree it's close. The martial arts program that the Marines has a LOT of Okinawan, Japanese, Korean, and Western influences. BJJ comes from judo.

The thing with martial arts is, that there is no such thing as a superior style technically speaking, just superior training methods and superior fighters. The Gracies are more involved with sport fighting which can relate to real combat but sport fighting is still sport fighting.[/quote

BJJ is a decendant of pure Japanese Jiu Jitsu (which may itself be a decendant of Judo) A Japanese guy (I can't remember exactly what he did) to pay back a favor, basically, taught JJ to Helio Gracie, who then modified it slightly to become BJJ. Grappling is a VERY important style/technique (whatevr you want to call it) to learn as most fights end up on the ground. While, BJJ is a great sport art, it is also a great COMBAT art. You can disable your enemy pretty easily using certain BJJ techniques. I train a bit in Muay Thai & Submission Wrestling/BJJ. I think that combination is a great one for REAL OR Sport fighting. It all depends on how it's used, etc. I can't speak on what the military teaches, I've just heard a few stories about the Gracies helping them out, and I believe it is the Marines that have a lot of BJJ in their unarmed/hand2hand combat training. BJJ, in a real fight, is good if you get taken down, it's good for reversing positions, and it's ESPECIALLY effective when you are fighting an untrained opponent. If you have a guy that is basically, "just a tough guy" "streetfighter" type, you'll have a huge advantage over him.
Actually, Judo is derived from Jiu-Jitsu. Jiu-Jitsu was the form that the Samuri's developed when, during battle, a weapon was lost, they could attack the vulnerable point on the human body while they and their opponents were wearing armor

Cheers

Someone needs to attack your vulnerable points.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
MORIBUND88
Embryo

Post by MORIBUND88 »

Why, because I am right?
Should you fall my friend, another friend will emerge from the shadows to take your place.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

MORIBUND88 wrote:Why, because I am right?
If your referring to Ranger W437537(which we don't know because you haven't addressed him correctly) the answer would be no. It's because your a smart ass with an attitude that can't follow simple instructions.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Scuba Wino wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:
If your referring to Ranger W437537(which we don't know because you haven't addressed him correctly) the answer would be no. It's because your a smart ass with an attitude that can't follow simple instructions.
AR289 - Hey Brother, haven't you adressed that exact point to this ass clown sevearl times now?

How many moe times are you ging to have to explain it to him? He's never going to learn how to address you, me or any other person here. He doesn't know how to read, or he just doesn't care for the rules. Either way, it seems like he is making an effort to NOT address anyone here properly. It seems like a game to him.."Hey look, I can come into their house, shit on their carpet and when they get all huffy about it, just ignore them and carry on with business as usual."

Fuck that and,

Fuck France!
He's a nuisance that wont be around much longer.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

:roll:
It's all good.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

On a side note, fuck head88 was accurate. Jujutsu originates from Feudal Japan and is the oldest actual Japanese martial art.

Karate doesn't count because it was created by Okinawans. A fact that me and my family thinks is pretty bad-ass. (Historical side-note: Many older Okinawans don't consider themselves Japanese. Some even refuse to speak Japanese unless they have to and instead speak Uchinaaguchi or Hogen.)

Judo was created by Dr. Jigoro Kano, a little over a hundred years ago and was derived from Jujutsu and is basically sport-friendly version of jujutsu.

Personally, I think that Judo is a horrible martial art to learn. Until Judo players start getting into the world-class skill range, they're relatively skill-less outside of a tatami square. I remember being able to beat my black-belt instructors as a white belt. Not often, but every once in awhile, I could pull it off.

But, SFC Larsen was a only purple belt at the time he was training me, and he could knock the shit out of me every time I tried to take him.

There's a serious difference between fighting to disable someone and fighting someone for an ippon or wazaari.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
MORIBUND88
Embryo

Post by MORIBUND88 »

EvilCouch wrote: Personally, I think that Judo is a horrible martial art to learn. Until Judo players start getting into the world-class skill range, they're relatively skill-less outside of a tatami square. I remember being able to beat my black-belt instructors as a white belt. Not often, but every once in awhile, I could pull it off.
EvilCouch, all one has to do is look at the world of Mixed Martial Arts and they'll see many extremely talented and brutal fighters that are Judo players, guys like Karo Parisian (UFC), Yoshida & Nakamura (Pride). It is an excellent disipline as long as it is mixed with other fighting styles.

Cheers
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

MORIBUND88 wrote:
EvilCouch wrote: Personally, I think that Judo is a horrible martial art to learn. Until Judo players start getting into the world-class skill range, they're relatively skill-less outside of a tatami square. I remember being able to beat my black-belt instructors as a white belt. Not often, but every once in awhile, I could pull it off.
EvilCouch, all one has to do is look at the world of Mixed Martial Arts and they'll see many extremely talented and brutal fighters that are Judo players, guys like Karo Parisian (UFC), Yoshida & Nakamura (Pride). It is an excellent disipline as long as it is mixed with other fighting styles.

Cheers
1. Shut the fuck up.
2. It's Ranger EvilCouch to you, chump.
3. I just said "Until Judo players start getting into the world-class skill range, they're relatively skill-less outside of a tatami square."

What level of competition is UFC and Pride? Yeah, that's right; world-class level.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “Close Combat”