What if I get Shin Splints?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

I am having hell with my shin splints. I'm PT'ing everyday to try and get in shape for enlistment and these things are fuggin horrible. I run a mile and my legs are aching so bad I just go completely numb from the knee down.....ice isn't working and ibuprofin isn't working.....any other suggestions? I think maybe I hurt myself when I was younger by powerlifting.....I used to think I was the shit because I could calf press a half ton...I think maybe I caused stress fractures. :cry:
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
Phulano
Tadpole

Post by Phulano »

I had pretty serious pain in my left shin for a while, but I took 6 days off of running, and now I feel fine. I just ran 3 miles a few hours ago. I took it slow to see how I was doing, but everything seems fine.

REST, ice, streaching. I'm no expert, i'm just telling you what I did based on the advise in this thread.
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

I appreciate the advice from everyone...I took two days rest, sat in the hot tub at the gym, and just did upperbody exercise. Well I went for a run today and knowcked out a mile before any stifness appeared in my shins.. I stopped right then and stretched. Hopefully After a couple more days rest i can start working on a two mile run. My goal is to run the local mountain bike trail before I enlist. It's 10 miles of some badass single track......the Exterra was run there a few years ago and Ned Overend(worl class bike racer and time trialer) called it the toughest course he'd run. I used to ride it regularly but have never tried running it.
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
MAB78
Embryo

Shin Splints

Post by MAB78 »

Im no ranger but when I had problems with shin splints I started doing alot more stretches. Not only did the calf stretches help me to overcome the shin splints but it helped with my IT band. Being flexible is overlooked and can help prevent shin splints and injury when done properly. But the article doc posted is right on the money.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Re: Shin Splints

Post by Kilted Heathen »

MAB78 wrote:Im no ranger but when I had problems with shin splints I started doing alot more stretches. Not only did the calf stretches help me to overcome the shin splints but it helped with my IT band. Being flexible is overlooked and can help prevent shin splints and injury when done properly. But the article doc posted is right on the money.
Go back and read the rules of this board.
Do not post again until you do.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

MAB78 PM inbound.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Joseph PrettyDeepWater wrote:MAB78 PM inbound.

~Joseph
Thank you Joseph
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Ranger Kilted Heathen wrote:
Thank you Joseph
Roger that Ranger Kilted Heathen

Does anyone know of any good excercises for the arch of my feet. I spoke to a Doctor and he said i need to strenghen them. I searched this website and found this.

Fill a small-sized gatorade bottle up with water. Place in freezer. After the entire bottle in frozen place under your foot and begin to roll b & f. Do this before and after any activity. Also, place newspaper on the floor and start to bunch it up with your feet, flatten, and repeat. This will strengthen your feet.

Does anybody know of any other arch exercises?

Thanks,

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

ROGER THAT RANGER HEATHEN
RS Class 06-06
boliverallmon
Tadpole

Post by boliverallmon »

i have heard that doing 500-1000 BW calf raises will help prevent and cure shin splints. Would you agree DOC?

Boliver
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Man, another old thread ressurected?...

The term shin splints is a catch-all phrase used to describe any nmber of conditions that cause chronic anterior leg pain. (Thats constant pain on the front of your lower leg, for you non medical types..) These can be the peritonitis that Doc first described in this thread, to early stress fractures.
the good news is that all of the conditions causing this are considered over use injuries.
The bad news? This means you will have to go on profile for a few weeks and every body who was in the Regiment knows that to go on profile makes you a permanent shit-bag who can't suck up a little pain and drive on..

All joking aside, the best way to treat it is to stop doing whatevr is causing the pain and let the body adjust. ("Hey Doc, It hurts when I do this".. "Well, don't fucking do that!..") Again, everything stated in the opening of this thread is correct as far as how to treat it; rest, ice to affected area, etc. The keys are stretching and strength training to get the body used to what you are going to do. Toe raises are good but you have to go for time and not reps. Another good one that we used frequently is to pretend that thereis a magic marker tied to your big toe. Moving just your foot at the ankle, pretend to draw the alphabet A to Z, 3 times on each ankle. Start with that when you get uup and when you go to bed and ad one set every other week. It's also great rehab for sprained ankles. Proper rehab will set you straight and you should have no other problems.

And if that dosn't work?.. well, there is always amputation... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

The best way to help shin splints is to not road march or run ever, ever!!!
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Rangerguru wrote:The best way to help shin splints is to not road march or run ever, ever!!!
. :shock: Done! :lol:

Return to “Medical Issues”