Who were the greatest military leaders?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

DrD
Tadpole

Re: Who were the greatest military leaders?

Post by DrD »

Invictus wrote: It's not listed in that thread, just a book I picked up at B&N many moons ago.
It's a very interesting book that looks at a number of different scenario's and talks about how easily the outcome could have been different.

The book is called...err...WHAT IF

There's also a sequel called "WHAT IF 2".

Another really interesting book (to me at least) is a historical fiction on Gettysburg. This is the 3 part series co-authored by Gingrich. While fictitious, it's still pretty amazing to me what might have been had Lee fallen back that first day, and found much more defensible ground not far away (the availability and proximity of such ground is covered in detail in the book) and set himself up in a Marye's Heights typed defensive position.
Thank you, Ranger Invictus!! Those sound like very intriguing books, and I will order them. I love the what if concept... what if this had been different... why did so and so do this, and what if the reaction had changed... :D We have roughly 100 books so far that we are trying to power through, but I will make sure these get front burnered. :D

Thank you!
Shana
~Black Raven~
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:"What if" is the standby study statement of great military events. Saw a paper on "What if's" for Nazi Germany. Really eye opening. What if Hitler had waited 3 years to begin his attempt to to take over the world?
Its great theory, study, and in my mind confirms some things biblically. GRITS didnt want Germany to be in charge. There was a paper on Korea as well. What if the US had maintained a state of readiness after WWII? Would we now occupy China?
Ranger Rock Island Ranger... hhhhmmm... those sound great! Do you recall the names of the articles?

Shana
~Black Raven~
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

DrD wrote: Thank you, Ranger Invictus!! Those sound like very intriguing books, and I will order them. I love the what if concept... what if this had been different... why did so and so do this, and what if the reaction had changed... :D We have roughly 100 books so far that we are trying to power through, but I will make sure these get front burnered. :D

Thank you!
Shana
My pleasure.

Another favorite is "Battlegrounds : Geography and the Art of Warfare"
In Battlegrounds, Michael Stephenson assembles an impressive roster of the world’s best military historians and writers, including Dr. David Chandler, Richard Holmes, John Warry, and Brendan Morrissey, to discuss the impact of geography on military strategy and history. This collection of essays, illustrated with vintage and modern maps, offers geographic adventure around the world, across centuries, and through every kind of terrain, shedding new light on famous battles and introducing less well-known—but nevertheless significant—moments in military history.

Throughout military history, battles have often been determined by certain “geographic imperatives”—characteristics of the terrain that significantly affect the nature of the fighting. Confrontations, therefore, have essentially been decided by an army1/4s ability to adapt to geographical features, giving rivers, mountains, and beaches lead roles in the political shaping of the world.

From Alexander the Great’s attack across the Granicus in 334 B.C. to the U.S. siege of the mountains of Afghanistan in 2001, geography has been a permanent and crucial factor in battle. Battlegrounds provides an unprecedented and fascinating look at this most formidable of adversaries throughout the history of warfare.
Also: "Leaders and Battles: The Art of Military Leadership"

If you look partway down the page it recommends other books that are similar. This book is pretty interesting as it explores different types of leadership (i.e. Moral courage, physical courage etc.).

My 2 favorite chapters of this book are on Daniel Morgan at Cowpens, and Davout at Auerstädt.
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Got them. Thank you. :D

Shana
~Black Raven~
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

I am sorry, Ranger Hung Low... LG? Can you give me a little more to go on?

Shana
~Black Raven~
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got it on pm. Thanks! :D

Shana
~Black Raven~
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

DrD wrote:
Rock Island Ranger wrote:"What if" is the standby study statement of great military events. Saw a paper on "What if's" for Nazi Germany. Really eye opening. What if Hitler had waited 3 years to begin his attempt to to take over the world?
Its great theory, study, and in my mind confirms some things biblically. GRITS didnt want Germany to be in charge. There was a paper on Korea as well. What if the US had maintained a state of readiness after WWII? Would we now occupy China?
Ranger Rock Island Ranger... hhhhmmm... those sound great! Do you recall the names of the articles?

Shana
Ive seen great ass on the beach in Fort Lauderdale but I couldnt tell you the names of who owned em. 8) Im 53 Ma'am. Some things you remember, some things you dont. Took me 22 years to remember my anniversary.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Rock Island Ranger wrote: Ive seen great ass on the beach in Fort Lauderdale but I couldnt tell you the names of who owned em. 8) Im 53 Ma'am. Some things you remember, some things you dont. Took me 22 years to remember my anniversary.
:lol: :lol: Ok. Thank you for starting me on the path, Ranger Rock Island Ranger... one of my assistants is a ferocious in hunting down things. I will pass this along to her and see what she finds. :wink:

Shana
~Black Raven~
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

DrD wrote:
Rock Island Ranger wrote: Ive seen great ass on the beach in Fort Lauderdale but I couldnt tell you the names of who owned em. 8) Im 53 Ma'am. Some things you remember, some things you dont. Took me 22 years to remember my anniversary.
:lol: :lol: Ok. Thank you for starting me on the path, Ranger Rock Island Ranger... one of my assistants is a ferocious in hunting down things. I will pass this along to her and see what she finds. :wink:

Shana
Assistants? One of????? So tell me Dr. D. There some things you havent told us about yourself I would surmize. You a blue blood dressed up in redneck clothing here to pick the brains of the heathens, are ya?
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Rock Island Ranger wrote: Assistants? One of????? So tell me Dr. D. There some things you havent told us about yourself I would surmize. You a blue blood dressed up in redneck clothing here to pick the brains of the heathens, are ya?
Each core person on this project is bringing their own assistant or assistants. Everyone is a US citizen, save one; and everyone who gets any info is cleared by me. This is an all or nothing deal; and everyone is dedicating their research assets and a year or two of their time. I have 4 assistants, currently 2 of which work full time on this; and, we are in the process of buying a digital safe haven to work in.

Blue blood? No. Most definitely not. Picking your brain? Yes. Most undoubtedly. :wink: 8)

Shana
~Black Raven~
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

DrD wrote:
Rock Island Ranger wrote: Assistants? One of????? So tell me Dr. D. There some things you havent told us about yourself I would surmize. You a blue blood dressed up in redneck clothing here to pick the brains of the heathens, are ya?
Each core person on this project is bringing their own assistant or assistants. Everyone is a US citizen, save one; and everyone who gets any info is cleared by me. This is an all or nothing deal; and everyone is dedicating their research assets and a year or two of their time. I have 4 assistants, currently 2 of which work full time on this; and, we are in the process of buying a digital safe haven to work in.

Blue blood? No. Most definitely not. Picking your brain? Yes. Most undoubtedly. :wink: 8)

Shana
Are you rich?
Do you own a liquor store?

Sorry, just delving into my fantasies.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

rgrokelley wrote: Are you rich?
Do you own a liquor store?

Sorry, just delving into my fantasies.
:lol: :lol: Too funny!! No, Ranger rgrokelley. Academics are funded by their universities and/or external grants.

Shana
~Black Raven~
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

DrD wrote:Academics are funded by their universities and/or external grants.
In other words tax dollars or tax deduction dollars.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “The Mosh Pit”