Newts - Efforts to Join the Army/Rangers and Workout Plans

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

True test of strength and endurance. With body armor.

1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 air squats
1 mile run

Have fun
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Glass Cannon
Tadpole

Post by Glass Cannon »

Ranger Spartan,

I thought it proper to include a link to my introduction, as I have not posted here in some time; I have been too busy reading and keeping my mouth shut.
I am going to DEP into the Army with an Option 40 contract near the end of this summer, 1 month before I am ready to ship. As of yet I have not visited a recruiter, my father wants to be there when I do and he is currently in Germany for a couple more months until he can retire from the Army. Thus, I have not taken the ASVAB, but I have been studying from the Kaplan 2005 ASVAB study guide and am a good student, so I am confident that I will score well.

My latest PT scores are as follows-

5 mile run: 39:59
2 mile run: 13:00
Sit ups: 75 in 2 minutes
Pushups: 45 in 2 minutes
Pullups (palms away): 10

I know my run times are slow, I want to be running a sub-12 minute two mile and a 35 minute 5 mile. To accomplish this, I am using Ranger CHCB's running plan posted on AirborneRanger.com here. My pullup goal is 20, and to reach this I am using the pullup program located here. My pushups definitely need the most improvement, and to raise my max I am doing 25 pushups every hour, before bed and when I wake up. After a week or so of this I will increase it to 30 every hour, and subsequently increase the number of pushups per hour by 5 as I grow stronger. To raise my situps I am mostly doing circuit work, combining flutter kicks, situps, hanging knee raises, and knee raises. Other than the circuit work, I perform a set of flutterkicks every hour after my pushups.
To track my progress, I do an APFT every 2 weeks and log the day's workouts every night. Normally I ruck every Saturday, anywhere from 4-10 miles and 30-40 pounds, but I have cut that out since starting the new running program written out by Ranger CHCB, due to increased mileage and fear of getting shin splints. However, this summer, once my body is more accustomed to the increased mileage, I will begin to ruck once again every Saturday. Shin splints have been a problem for me in the past, so I am doing everything I can to prevent them from recurring.

I am very motivated and determined to become a Ranger, and will do everything to meet and overcome the challenge.
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

xCalebx What are your run times?
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Hi Ranger Spartan. I am currently a civilian but I am looking to enlist with an option 40 after graduating from college in two semesters. I have taken my ASVAB and recieved an AFQT of 90 and GT of 126. Currently, I am working back into working out as I have been injured the past month with a separated shoulder. My 2 mile run time is 14:03. Since I am unable to do any shoulder or upper body workouts, I usually stick to running. I also do 3 sets of 50 situps, 3 sets of 30-40 leg raises, and flutter kicks before heading to bed. I will need to pick up a heavier workout when my shoudler does not feel like it will tear when I tighten the area.

-peterk
"I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

RSTB
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

xCalebx wrote:Ranger IDon'tCare,

I don't have an up-to-date run time because a few weeks ago i rolled my ankle and sprained it while playing football. I was out of commission for a few weeks and it is just now getting to where i can run on it again. Before i hurt it my time was about 6:45 but i am working to improve that.
You are either Superman or did not complete the run assignment properly, Caleb.

I think you know which category you are in.

2 mile (APFT Standard) run time.

Execute and report it back here.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

You still haven't posted a 2 mile run time.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

xCalebx wrote:hit_it, (I'm sorry, do not know correct way to address)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant my 1 mile run time is was around 6:45 not my 2 mile. Sorry not speaking clearly.
Who runs just one mile these days? :lol:

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

What's wrong with you? His title is right under his name. It's Soul Brother #1 hit_it. :D
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Joseph PrettyDeepWater wrote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant my 1 mile run time is was around 6:45 not my 2 mile. Sorry not speaking clearly.
Who runs just one mile these days? :lol:

~Joseph
Fuck that!! Who runs? :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I don't run til I'm outta bullets
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "

Return to “About Army Physical Training”