Mk48 MOD 0

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Parabellum
Ranger

Mk48 MOD 0

Post by Parabellum »

Everyone by now knows that the Ranger Regt. has purchased and outfitted all of it's line platoons with the Mk48 MOD 0 7.62mm machinegun. For all of you M240B gunners out there like myself don't be disapointed the 240 is still in service. This weapon just like the 240 is made by FN. Along with our SAW's and M4's. The M4's do say Colt on them but FN was subcontracted to manufacture the weapon. Colt still owns the rights to the design.

The reason I am writing this is to establish that the Mk48 is not a replacement for the M240B. The Mk48 is considered an "assault gun". Just like it's predicesor the M60E4. The Mk48 is technically not a "crew served weapon" like the 240. It is designed to be operated by one man.

The benefits to this weapon are it's light weight of 18.64 pounds compared to the 27.3 pound M240B. This facilitates quicker movement on the battlefield. Along with its light weight is its lenght of 39.7 inches the 240 is 48 inches. That 9 inches is extremely beneficial when moving in and out of buildings. You could basically clear rooms with this weapon and not have a problem.

With every weapon there are draw backs. First off the max effective range on the Mk48 is 800m the 240's is 1800m. That is a big difference. I know that in an urban area it doesn't make a difference but all this tells me is that when in open terrain like the "desert" you are limited to what targets you can shoot at. Another downfall is that you cannot change barrels. Everyone knows that machineguns create an extensive amount of heat when fired for just a few minutes. Yes, the barrel is fluted to expidite the cooling process. But not being able to change barrels and being required to lay down some serious led will cause some problems. Another issue is that it cannot be mounted on a tripod. I know, I know you can shoot just as good on bipod. What the fuck ever. No you can't. I would put money on it. Even though the tripod should only be used in certian situations you should still be able to have that option. The weight issue with the tripod has been fixed. All weapon squads have been outfitted with Titanium tripods that weigh about 10 lbs. That is half the wieght of the old one.

This really isn't a drawback but I am going to put this out anyway. The rate of fire for the Mk48 is approx 710 rounds per minute. The 240's is 950+ rounds a minute. That is a considerable difference. This is somewhat benificial though. Because it is designed to be a one man weapon system you would want a slower rate of fire. If it fired as fast as the 240 a soldier would need to bring at least 1500 rounds to the fight so he wouldn't blow it all off in 5 minutes. Another reason that this is good is due to the fact that the barrel won't heat as quickly.

Don't get me wrong this is a great weapon system and I am glad that the Regiment went with the "assault gun" concept. All of my Ranger buddies and their gun teams are in love with it. But they are also aware of it's limitations.

H8
Last edited by Parabellum on November 20th, 2004, 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Dude, great article, but WTF bro???? Did you cut and paste????? You can't type that much, who you kiddin foo! :twisted:
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

BadMuther wrote:Dude, great article, but WTF bro???? Did you cut and paste????? You can't type that much, who you kiddin foo! :twisted:
I can type I just can't spell.

Your just mad because your fingures are too fat to hit the right keys. In turn making you type shorter posts. :lol: :lol: :wink:

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

H8 Train wrote:
BadMuther wrote:Dude, great article, but WTF bro???? Did you cut and paste????? You can't type that much, who you kiddin foo! :twisted:
I can type I just can't spell.

Your just mad because your fingures are too fat to hit the right keys. In turn making you type shorter posts. :lol: :lol: :wink:
Liar. You can't even read biatch!!! Now untie that private and let him go....
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Not until I'm done. :lol: :lol: :lol:

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Nice article H8. Thanks good Buddy! :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
pjd
Ranger

Post by pjd »

If the 240 and the SAW got drunk and had a bastard child, it would have to be the Mk48. Thanks for the review.
A 1/75 Rgr Regt 96-97
1/503 Inf Regt (AASLT) 97-98
Broke Dick @ WAMC 98-99
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

H8 Train wrote:Not until I'm done. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: ...and you call me perv. :)
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
H8 Train wrote:Not until I'm done. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: ...and you call me perv. :)

Hate was joking but we've seen you in action. You ARE a pervert. :lol:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Return to “Weapons of War”