APFT Failures during EIB Testing?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: APFT Failures during EIB Testing?

Post by KW Driver »

Silverback wrote:There is a reason we called it "Everybody In Battalion". Rangers were the only unit authorized to conduct battalion organic testing. Most other units were organized by brigade.
I didn't see it as a give away though, if there was that implication. there were enough guys that didn't get theirs each year, and it all appeared to happen honestly as far as I could see. second year I walked, I want to say there were only about 6 SLs getting an award for 100% GOs.

more to what I and Tough said. seemed fair, and the BN training focus when it was tested.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

WAY BACK in the mid-70's, while I was in the Protocol Div as aide to Ft Benning CDR, the then Chief of Staff, COL Latham, who decreed that EVERY officer at Benning (TDY, students, cadre, all the old fart COL's--every officer) would complete a 20 mile trek on post, even if it took them the entire weekend. MP's lined the entire route. Uniform pursuant to the EIB testing. Start time on Saturday morning for numbered groups of 10 every 10 seconds and every group timed. The Ranger Department had bets with the Airborne Department over who would finish first. They could hardly believe that a young CPT from the top floor of the Puzzle Palace, Bldg 4, had the fastest time of the 3,000+ who completed the event! Ah, yes, I was young once and soared with eagles. Now, I'm another one of the ol' Farts...
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rising Ray wrote:
garyedolan wrote:WAY BACK in the mid-70's, while I was in the Protocol Div as aide to Ft Benning CDR, the then Chief of Staff, COL Latham, who decreed that EVERY officer at Benning (TDY, students, cadre, all the old fart COL's--every officer) would complete a 20 mile trek on post, even if it took them the entire weekend. MP's lined the entire route. Uniform pursuant to the EIB testing. Start time on Saturday morning for numbered groups of 10 every 10 seconds and every group timed. The Ranger Department had bets with the Airborne Department over who would finish first. They could hardly believe that a young CPT from the top floor of the Puzzle Palace, Bldg 4, had the fastest time of the 3,000+ who completed the event! Ah, yes, I was young once and soared with eagles. Now, I'm another one of the ol' Farts...
You're only as old as you feel sir!
I'm at least as old as Gary,
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grunt »

I've always had respect for those who earned the EIB. But frankly, I found some of the standards for evaluation pretty ridiculous. Folks say, "its the little things that fail people" and I agree completely, having failed due to this. You were allowed two no-go's and still earn the EIB (this was mid-80's.) My first no-go was on the task of finding a landmark on a map. Simple enough. Orient the map, do some terrain identification, find the landmark, circle it, and record the 8-digit grid. So, I did. Except that I put an 'x' on the landmark, instead of circling it. No-go. Really? Second no-go was on the .50 cal. You had to "observe the round" eject, which meant they wanted you to lean your head over to the side of the gun and see the round eject. The truth of the matter is that you did not need to lean over; you could clearly see it eject by just being behind the gun. The evaluator said I did not lean over, and therefore did not see the round eject. No-go. Really?

Some will say that this was a failure to follow instructions, or failure to pay attention to the details. Sure, whatever. To me, the spirit of the test was lost and the intent became more of a bureaucratic one. Unfortunately, that was the only time I ever had a chance to go for the badge. In successive years I was busy in other activities. Oh well.

But, kudos to those that got theirs.

Grunt
A co 1-502 10/84 - 12/85
CSCo 4-327 01/85 - 08/87
C co 1-17 09/87 - 02/88
RS Class 02-87

Return to “The Mosh Pit”