sudden spike in run times..

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: sudden spike in run times..

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Don't beat yourself up over it. Back off on the running intensity for a day or two. Your body is just taking a rest that it needs and when it recovers you will be faster. That was a big jump in Avg speed from 5/8 to 5/19. Did you not run or is that a typo and should read 5/18 instead of 5/8 ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
PocketKings
Ranger

Re: sudden spike in run times..

Post by PocketKings »

You need to choose a day to do a 'LSR.' Long, slow run. It helps recovery, strengthens the legs, and prepares you for the 'Airborne shuffle' style of run you'll be facing. It is hard to dial it down, but you need to be able to run at a conversation pace. Given your distances, I'd go for 8-10 miles. When you think you're running too slow, slow down even more. If you need an example, check out some of the stories/movies/books on Steve Prefontane. He had trouble dialing it back, but when he did he improved a ton.

Sometimes you hit the road and it just ain't happening. Listen to your body and just work on getting the distance in. You won't have that luxury in a few weeks.

Look at it this way - you'll be running varying distances, very slow, while screaming cadences. The impact on the body is very different than running at, essentially, your own pace. You need the ability to adjust pace accordingly. Slow runs need to have zero impact on your overall ability to crank out a fast run. It needs to become second nature.

Maybe get yourself a cadence CD and practice running to that. That'll slow your ass down and give you a bit of rhythm. Plus it breaks up the normal Lady Gaga and Backstreet Boys that I'm sure you listen to now. :)
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “About Army Physical Training”