Why not????

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
RGR W. Beals
Ranger

Why not????

Post by RGR W. Beals »

I have always wondered why Ret. Col Bob Howard has not been nominated to the Ranger hall of Fame? He was A co 2/75s First CO and of course CMOH winner, DSC and the most decorated man of the Vietnam war while he was with SOG. Not to take away from the others choosen but maybe WE need to see this happen.

Any comments Rangers??
RGR School class 2/77. A/NCOIC RIP 2/75th
A/2/75 from 11/75 to 7/79
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

Ranger's after reading your account's of Ret. Col Bob Howard i was compelled to do some research and found this write up on him:

"Bob Howard For President

I had a brilliant idea this morning! To solve the election dilemma and for those wanting so desperately to vote for a highly decorated combat veteran who has seen action in the jungles of Vietnam - VOTE FOR COL. BOB HOWARD!!!

By all accounts, Col. Howard is the man. For starters, why settle for one silver star and three purple hearts when you can elect America's most highly decorated combat veteran? Yep, Col. Howard is the man. I don't care what Col. Hackworth told you, Howard is the most decorated. Now I know y'all don't much care for flyboys, so let me assure you, Col. Howard is no flyboy. To the contrary, he is a retired Special Forces Operator who ran recon with MACV/SOG's CCC. Everyone knows a recon man is a good man! Even better, he retired only after giving America and the U.S. Army 36 years of distinguished service and that includes five, count 'em, five tours of duty in the Republic of Vietnam. Bob Howard and the 60 man recon company he served with carried out some of the most daring and dangerous missions ever conducted by the U.S. military. Although understrength, this particular recon company based at Kontum, Republic of Vietnam, was the war's most highly decorated unit with five Medals of Honor. For Bob Howard's actions while serving on a mission to rescue a fellow Soldier in Cambodia, he was submitted for the Medal of Honor for the THIRD time for his extraordinary heroism (no he didn't write himself up for the award either). Although seriously wounded in Vietnam, he was awarded eight Purple Hearts (and didn't ask to go home), he went on to command companies of the 2/75 Ranger Battalion, and trained Soldiers during Special Forces Phase One selection where it is reported that he personally led "every run and rucksack march in every class under his command."

Now I know folks are screaming for a real hero, so let's look at the awards and decorations Col. Howard received; I'd like to point out that he did not throw his medals or the medals of any Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine over any fence, wall, embankment, etc.

AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:

Congressional Medal of Honor
Distinguished Service Cross
Silver Star
Bronze Star for Valor, 3d Oak Leaf Cluster
Purple Heart, 8th Award, 7th Oak Leaf Cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit, 3d Oak Leaf Cluster
Bronze Star for Meritorious Achievement
Air Medal for Valor, 2d Oak Leaf Cluster
Army Commendation Medal for Valor, 3d Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Medal for Aerial Flights
Army Meritorious Service Medal, 2d Oak Leaf Cluster
Army Commendation Medal for Meritorious Achievement, 2d Oak Leaf Cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Good Conduct Medal 4th Award
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
PNCO Ribbon W/2 device
Army Overseas Ribbon
Army Service Ribbon
Expeditionary Medal, 2d Oak Leaf Cluster
Vietnam Service Medal
Vietnam Campaign Medal with 60 device
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Gold Star
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Silver Star
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Star
Vietnam Honor Medal 2d Award
Vietnamese Wound Medal
Vietnamese Civil Action Medal 2d Award
Army Presidential Unit Citation, 1st Oak Leaf Cluster
Navy Valorous Unit Citation
Army Meritorious Unit Citation
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Palm, 1st Oak Leaf Cluster
Republic of Korea Samil Medal
Combat Infantryman's Badge
Aircraft Crewman's Badge
Master Parachute Badge
Pathfinder Badge
Air Assault Badge
Expert Infantryman's Badge
Vietnamese Ranger Badge
Army Ranger Tab
Special Forces Qualification Tab
Thai Master Parachute Wings
Vietnamese Master Parachute Badge
French Parachutist Badge
Korean Master Parachute Badge
Thai Balloonist Badge

Ladies and gentlemen, this is REAL HERO. A man of honor, courage and integrity. A man who willingly put the needs of his country and his men ahead of his own. A man who had no ulterior motives, no agenda other than DUTY, HONOR and COUNTRY. Col. Howard is the man and he certainly ain't no fairy like Kerry. Rangers Lead The Way! All The Way, Sir! HOOAH!"

Absolutely amazing what that man accomplished in his life.
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Holy shit.... :shock:
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

I am now even more humbled. I knew Col. Howard was a SF legend, however, I didn't know he was also a Ranger. Wow, a real hero!!!
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

From my reading on him he was a black hat at Tower Week and also an RI during his career.
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Gentleman, Im not sure but I think this is GRITS only begotten son. :shock:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

I had the priviledge of meeting him while he was Co of Alpha company 2/75 and again in Ranger school. Read SOG... Howard is an unbelievable warrior. From all accounts he deserved all three MOH's.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

McD wrote:Read SOG... Howard is an unbelievable warrior...
What a coincidence, I just picked that book up this past Saturday and I am looking forward to reading it.

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Why not????

Post by Slowpoke »

RGR W. Beals wrote:I have always wondered why Ret. Col Bob Howard has not been nominated to the Ranger hall of Fame? He was A co 2/75s First CO and of course CMOH winner, DSC and the most decorated man of the Vietnam war while he was with SOG. Not to take away from the others choosen but maybe WE need to see this happen.

Any comments Rangers??
All you have to do is join the 75th Ranger Regiment Association ($25) and start pushing for it through the 2/75 Unit Director. Every year, the 75th RRA is allowed to submit three men for nomination. Also, if you know a member of the Hall of Fame, each Hall of Fame member is allowed to submit one name each year. If you'd like, I'll talk to Vladimir Jakovenko (RHOF 2003) about Col. Howard. Jake spent most of his carreer in SF and might be interested in nominating him.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”