Internet Sales Tax Could Ease Budget Woes

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Internet Sales Tax Could Ease Budget Woes

Post by Flesh Thorn »

AUSTIN, Texas – State governments across the country are laying off teachers, closing public libraries and parks, and reducing health care services, but there is one place they could get $23 billion if they could only agree how to do it: Internet retailers such as Amazon.com.

That's enough to pay for the salaries of more than 46,000 teachers, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. In California, the amount of uncollected taxes from Amazon sales alone is roughly the same amount cut from child welfare services in the current state budget.

But collecting those taxes from major online retailers is difficult.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06 ... z1PmFC4jJl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Internet Sales Tax Could Ease Budget Woes

Post by Jim »

This issue is gaining traction. The Governor of Maryland directed that a study be done to determinehow much untaxed commerce goes on. On the other hand a number of merchants who have brick and mortar stores in specific states usually collect taxes for internet purchases in those states. As an example, I buy from L.L. Bean on line. They have a store in Virginia, and they charge me sales taxes for all goods delivered to my home.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

The CEO of Amazon put something out a while back about this.

The gist was that states forcing online retailers to collect sales tax is unconstitutional, as it interferes with interstate commerce.

Don't really know the legal stuff, but I do know that implementing a system to collect sales tax would be a huge pain. Sales tax is determined by states, counties and even local municipalities. Often the sales tax for a given place can change on a quarterly basis. To implement a system that works would be a huge burden, which would likely get shifted to the government that wants the money to buy votes, which would mean even more tax bureaucracy than we already have.

That alone means I can't support it.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I like it when the politicians piss away all the money the we give them. Then say things like "Vote for this tax raise it is for the kids" Thanks assholes.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

The states may not like it, but Amazon is in the right on this one:
U.S. Constitution wrote:
Article I, Section 8 (Powers of Congress), Paragraph 1:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Article I, Section 8 (Powers of Congress), Paragraph 3:
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

Article I, Section 9 (Limits on Congress), Paragraphs 5-6:
No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another: nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another

Article I, Section 10 (Powers prohibited of States), Paragraphs 2:
No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Baseplate wrote:I like it when the politicians piss away all the money the we give them. Then say things like "Vote for this tax raise it is for the kids" Thanks assholes.
To be clear, we don't give it to them, they take it.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Don't pass laws that you cannot enforce. NYS requires us to pay taxes on all out-of-state purchases.
Then they pay some state employee to drive all over PA & MA to stick flyers under the windshield wipers of cars with NYS plates in mall parking lots reminding the owners to pay the sales tax next year with their NYS income tax.
riiiight.....

If they actually want this idiocy to work, then all states must abolish the current system and at a national level we can adopt the Canadian VAT system, which is likely not to be any more constitutional than the proposals we're reading about in this thread but would serve us all much better.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

So I am a big fan of the Fair Tax, which is a VAT style tax, in conjunction with complete elimination of the income tax. Part of that plan is to repeal the 16th amendment which would help with the legalities.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Translation... we just spent all of your money on stupid fucking shit so it will keep us in power. We need more money to pay for even more stupid shit, so we are going to tax the one thing that is truly a freeport in the capitalist world.

The internet is capitalism. Unregulated, yet not evil... hmmm. Maybe that whole capitalism thing works!
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “The News Dump”