Introduction - Jim

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Manolete1973
Embryo

Introduction - Jim

Post by Manolete1973 »

Hello everyone.
My name is Jim. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, and I've managed a shop now for 4 years. I graduated high school in 91. I've attended five years of college. Two of those were at a J.C. earning my mechanic certificates. I received good grades in school.
I'm 37, 5'10" and 172 lbs. I'm in pretty good shape, but plan to start a heavy workout regimen immediately (I just bought running shoes last night).
My life has gone through some changes over the past year, mainly due to the amicable divorce I'm currently going through. Joining the military has always been in the back of my mind ever since I went through Devil Pups as a kid. I almost joined after 9/11, but my wife at the time wouldn't stand for it. Now the idea of joining is concrete and up front.
Why join now? It's time for me to serve my country...better late than never. Why the Army? My age. Why Rangers? Because I want to be a part of the best. Working on aircraft has never really been my calling. It pay's the bills...barely. I took the military.com practice asvab and did well. Ironically the subject I scored lowest on (82%) was the mechanical section.
Most of my friends and coworkers are of the opinion that I'm crazy to want to join the Army now.
Surprisingly, my soon-to-be ex-wife is supportive.
I've never really challenged myself. I've always taken the path of least resistance...not anymore.
I'll continue reading through all the forums here, but I'd appreciate all the advice and info you all have to offer.
Thank You
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Jim

Post by Earthpig »

Good intro, Jim. Go for it, while you still can. You'll never be sorry. Best of luck.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You are not the oldest thats tried. I will never forget being told to "get down if I don't have it" from another private who had air assault wings and a desert storm campaign medal....this was four years ago....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Manolete1973
Embryo

Post by Manolete1973 »

Rangers Earthpig and goon175,

Thank you for your comments. Who was the oldest? Also, may I ask how old you both were when you became Rangers?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Manolete1973 wrote:Rangers Earthpig and goon175,

Thank you for your comments. Who was the oldest? Also, may I ask how old you both were when you became Rangers?
I do not know who the oldest was, but I know that Ranger Carroll Childers was 47 when he graduated from Ranger School.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

There are two currently serving Rangers in 1/75 who came to Batt. at 40 and 41 while I was there.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for your interest in serving our great country. Age isn't as important as your "Want To" It will not be easy but it sure can be done! Just NEVER QUIT!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Manolete1973
Embryo

Post by Manolete1973 »

Rangers,
A while back I took the asvab test, and did fine. I made it through the MEPS physical Thursday March 17, again with no problems at all. Unfortunately, I was unable to obtain an option 40 or option 4 contract. There were none in the system, but I’ll keep nagging my recruiter to check.

Thanks to info posted by Ranger goon175 I knew an option 40 contract was most likely out of reach. I needed a moral waiver for a DUI conviction from 1998, and no option 40 contracts are being given to those people with moral waivers. I found Cayo’s post regarding ranger contracts during OSUT very inspiring, and I will earn one too.

So I signed an 11x contract, and I will be shipping out on September 6. The bad news is my PT numbers are somewhat subpar at this point: 68 pushups, 64 sit ups, 9 pull ups, and 14:11 2 mile. The good news is I have enough time to ratchet up my workout regimen and get into the shape that I need to be in.

On a separate note, my wife and I have decided to work things out. She’s supportive of my decision to enlist. She was definitely shocked a little when what seemed to her at first an abstract idea on my part, suddenly materialized into reality. I think it’s better that we stay together for us, and most importantly my daughter.

Thanks again Rangers for all the information, especially Ranger goon175.

Best Regards,

Jim

Return to “Introduction Archive”