Christmas Ideas for moms

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

scar
Ranger

Re: Christmas Ideas for moms

Post by scar »

MsMarla wrote:Thank you, Rangers.

I thought about the knife, but I'm sure I couldn't pick it out for him. Another mom suggested a good watch, so we may be checking on that one. I think we will definitely give him the cash. He shelled out quite a bit of money at Commando's already buying a ruck and jump boots after Basic. Maybe that will help with the sting.

And I appreciate the sentiments, but I will not be contributing to his moral delinquency. I'll leave that to the Army.
Ruck after Basic is money wasted...live and learn
Zonk 1/75 wrote:
MsMarla wrote:Thank you, Rangers.

Another mom suggested a good watch, so we may be checking on that one.

And I appreciate the sentiments, but I will not be contributing to his moral delinquency. I'll leave that to the Army.
Welcome to ArmyRanger.com................... :lol:

I would assume that today’s soldiers wear a specific brand and model of watch so research first and choose wisely.
Alot of guys buy Suunto watches, they normally have a compass and other fancy things on them. I find that a good old Timex Ironman suits me just fine
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Yeah. I've had one of the G-Shock solar watches for about 7 years now with no complaints. Every now and again I have to switch out the band, but it's been through a lot.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
MsMarla
Ranger Mom

Post by MsMarla »

Watch suggestions are appreciated. My husband always buys the cheapest one he can get at the NEX because he goes through them so fast. I can't imagine that soldiering is any less harder on them than flying airplanes, but I guess if it's a gift we can be silly about it.

Why was the ruck a waste of money?
Proud mother of a Ranger
scar
Ranger

Post by scar »

MsMarla wrote:Watch suggestions are appreciated. My husband always buys the cheapest one he can get at the NEX because he goes through them so fast. I can't imagine that soldiering is any less harder on them than flying airplanes, but I guess if it's a gift we can be silly about it.

Why was the ruck a waste of money?
No matter what unit he ends up at, he will be issued what he needs and what they want him to use.
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
MsMarla
Ranger Mom

Post by MsMarla »

Thanks, Ranger Scar.

Whatever they wore in Basic rubbed him raw on his hips (maybe because he's shorter than average and has no fat?). He wanted one for training during his off time at Airborne--his main purpose for buying it. Are you saying they won't let him wear it at RASP?

(He also heard they would run them hard from Airborne to RASP carrying all his gear, so got it down to just what would fit in that one pack.)
Last edited by MsMarla on November 22nd, 2010, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud mother of a Ranger
MsMarla
Ranger Mom

Post by MsMarla »

mortar_guy78 wrote:Yeah. I've had one of the G-Shock solar watches for about 7 years now with no complaints. Every now and again I have to switch out the band, but it's been through a lot.
Thank you, Ranger Mortar_guy,

I like the looks of the G Shock. Does the atomic timing keeping work?
Proud mother of a Ranger
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Mine's an older model without the crazy atomic clock thingy. However, this watch has been through 3 tours in Iraq and it's still going strong.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
scar
Ranger

Post by scar »

MsMarla wrote:Thanks, Ranger Scar.

Whatever they wore in Basic rubbed him raw on his hips (maybe because he's shorter than average and has no fat?). He wanted one for training during his off time at Airborne--his main purpose for buying it. Are you saying they won't let him wear it at RASP?

(He also heard they would run them hard from Airborne to RASP carrying all his gear, so got it down to just what would fit in that one pack.)
Other than uniforms and maybe a knife/gerber, Rasp will issue him whatever they want him to use.
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

won't contribute to his delinquency? I'm shocked. :D

as far as the knife/watch debate, that's why I said get him exactly what he wants. let him pick the tool he wants to use.

I love G-shocks, and my last was an Atomic/solar. it was only an US Atomic update, vs 5 clock worldwide updater that they have now. while I was in Iraq it wasn't updating, obviously, but the battery crapped out for a couple of hours and I couldn't manually update the time for something like two weeks. it just wouldn't let me in. got it running, it died again and I couldn't reset the time again and I got fed up and bought a Suunto.

the Suunto is pretty bulletproof, and my 3 other G-shocks over 17 years were too. just had this one as a problem. I really think I prefer G-shocks, because I don't really use the compass/altimeter/baro as much as I thought I would. count down timer, and second clock on the G-shock was more useful for me back when, than a Suunto would have been.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I bought a nice new G-shock I was so proud of it too. Then 2 weeks later I made a weak exit and bounced of the door of a c130 and no more G-shock. After that I stuck with the a timex ironman for 19 bucks in the PX and I still have it too.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Baseplate wrote:I bought a nice new G-shock I was so proud of it too. Then 2 weeks later I made a weak exit and bounced of the door of a c130 and no more G-shock. After that I stuck with the a timex ironman for 19 bucks in the PX and I still have it too.
that's what the 550-cord safety is for. kept one on a jump and one on a gully slide/fall. just had to buy a new pin once, and a new band and pin the other time.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Baseplate wrote:I bought a nice new G-shock I was so proud of it too. Then 2 weeks later I made a weak exit and bounced of the door of a c130 and no more G-shock. After that I stuck with the a timex ironman for 19 bucks in the PX and I still have it too.
The Ironman is still the best $20 watch ever made IMHO. I just got a new one.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “The Mosh Pit”