Politican proves that it's better to remain silent.....

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerX
Ranger

Politican proves that it's better to remain silent.....

Post by RangerX »

.....and be thought a fool, rather than speak up and remove any doubt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101019/ap_ ... are_senate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Re: Politican proves that it's better to remain silent.....

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Wow.

Just...wow.

I guess stupid knows not the bounds of race, gender, creed or even party affiliation.

You know, maybe instead of requiring basic civics tests for voter registration, we should do it for potential candidates.

I honestly don't know what else to say. I am flabbergasted, flummoxed, apalled, and otherwise rendered unable to express myself clearly at this time.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

mortar_guy78 wrote:Wow.

Just...wow.

I guess stupid knows not the bounds of race, gender, creed or even party affiliation.

You know, maybe instead of requiring basic civics tests for voter registration, we should do it for potential candidates.

I honestly don't know what else to say. I am flabbergasted, flummoxed, apalled, and otherwise rendered unable to express myself clearly at this time.
x2
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

The Tea Party just received a welt....I assume there is more to come and Aqua Buddha will smite the sinners.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

IEDmagnet wrote:
mortar_guy78 wrote:Wow.

Just...wow.

x2
At least it'll be a little quieter around here for a while!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Just to throw fuel on this fire, she is right. There is no mandate for a seperation between church and state in the Constitution. Far from it, there are so many religious overtones in just about everything that the Founding Fathers did, that it could fill up volumes.

The whole "seperation of church and state" line came from a letter from Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist ministers, when they were concerned of a Federalist attempt to make a state bank (just like the Federal Reserve today) and a state religion, similar to the Anglican Church in England. Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment would create a wall between church and the federal government. Jefferson never meant that it would mean the people would be shackled in how they worship at their own, local, governments.

The people listening to O'Donnell were "shocked" because all their life they have been told this horse crap is what the Founding Father's meant, but the founders would be organizing armed militia if anyone from the Federal government had come down to the state level, and told them when, where, and how they are able to worship.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrokelley wrote: the founders would be organizing armed militia if anyone from the Federal government had come down to the state level, and told them when, where, and how they are able to worship.
Where has this happened?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

It seems they've updated the article somewhat. The version I read stated that she did not know that the 1st Amendment prohibits the state from establishing a religion. Now it seems they are having a pissing match over linguistic semantics.

Either way, they are ass clowns.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

RangerX wrote:It seems they've updated the article somewhat. The version I read stated that she did not know that the 1st Amendment prohibits the state from establishing a religion. Now it seems they are having a pissing match over linguistic semantics.

Either way, they are ass clowns.
Ok, I just read it again.

She is baiting Coons to show where in the first ammendment are the words "separation of church and state". It ain't there, never was.

I didn't see this is as a bad article. Not sure what the deal is from the original?
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

If you actually look at what she said, she had no idea that the concept of the "separation of church and state" was in the Constitution. It was not just the words themselves, but the very idea that confused her. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof " doesn't just mean that there is no state religion, but that the state would completely stay out of religious affairs entirely.

Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli (1797) written by John Adams, pretty clearly refutes the idea that America is somehow a "Christian" nation: "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Sure there are religious overtones in many of the documents of the Founders, as there are in a lot of government documents since then. However, they are not specific to sect or denomnation but deal with the idea of a creator or deity in a sort of generic, hippie "I'm ok, you're ok" kind of way.

The problem with the candidate is that she seemed to be totally unaware of any of this and think that it was perfectly legitimate to teach religious ideology in a publicly funded schools. Not, as her rep. later claimed, that she was refuting the specific wording.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

The concept of seperation of church and state is NOT in the Constitution anywhere!!!!! The First Amendment insures us the government can never establish a "State Religion"!

"Seperation of church and state" is a vivid example of the courts making law!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Fella's I have read the Limbaugh transcripts...why is it so hard to accept that another DUMB ASS has tried to pull the wool over our eyes?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Silverback wrote:Fella's I have read the Limbaugh transcripts...why is it so hard to accept that another DUMB ASS has tried to pull the wool over our eyes?
She can be a dumbass, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. My point is that she is correct on this issue.
RS - DHG 5-85
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Silverback wrote:
rgrokelley wrote: the founders would be organizing armed militia if anyone from the Federal government had come down to the state level, and told them when, where, and how they are able to worship.
Where has this happened?
I assume you are playing devil's advocate, and not seriously asking when has the federal government told the State and city governments when, where and how they worship. I could site case law after case law, but one that stands out off the top of my head is the Lemon vs Kurtzmann case, that created the "Lemon law", listing exactly what the state and local governments can and cannot do according to a religion. Everything from the famous Alabama ten commandments case, to the case of a school wanting to say a prayer at their graduation ceremony, deals with the Federal government telling these non-Federal entities how they can worship. The Federal war against Christianity is fairly new in our history, and only dates back to post-WWII America. I say the "war against Christianity", because Islam or pagan religions are propped up by the same Federal government and not a word is spoken against them. This is more of the hypocrisy of the left.
RS - DHG 5-85
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

rgrokelley wrote:
Silverback wrote:
Where has this happened?
I assume you are playing devil's advocate, and not seriously asking when has the federal government told the State and city governments when, where and how they worship. I could site case law after case law, but one that stands out off the top of my head is the Lemon vs Kurtzmann case, that created the "Lemon law", listing exactly what the state and local governments can and cannot do according to a religion. Everything from the famous Alabama ten commandments case, to the case of a school wanting to say a prayer at their graduation ceremony, deals with the Federal government telling these non-Federal entities how they can worship. The Federal war against Christianity is fairly new in our history, and only dates back to post-WWII America. I say the "war against Christianity", because Islam or pagan religions are propped up by the same Federal government and not a word is spoken against them. This is more of the hypocrisy of the left.

X2
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”