Camp Lejune Contaminated water

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
doubledragon
Inprocessing

Camp Lejune Contaminated water

Post by doubledragon »

This one hits me closer to home since my wife was born and spent her first few years living in the trailer park at Camp Lejune. As I stated in my intro she just got done with all the therapy for breast cancer, and wonder if this has anything to do with that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lawmaker criticizes military over water at NC base

AP – In this Aug. 3, 2010 photo, an anchor stands in front of the entrance to Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune …
By FREDERIC J. FROMMER, Associated Press Writer – Thu Sep 16, 3:46 pm ET
WASHINGTON – Military leaders cared more about fending off bad press than helping Marines sickened by contaminated water at Camp Lejeune, a North Carolina lawmaker claimed at a hearing Thursday focused on health concerns at the sprawling Marine base in his state.
Democratic Rep. Brad Miller said Navy and Marine Corps leaders have been "relying on the advice of lawyers, hiding behind science that is slow and uncertain, and spending more energy on public relations than on helping Marines and their families."
A Marine Corps official said the military's actions when the contamination was first discovered were "astounding."
"I think they were ignorant, quite frankly, of some of the implications," said Maj. Gen. Gray Payne, who until recently was responsible for Marine Corps facilities, including environmental protection. "I think we were lulled into a sense of complacency, or at least a lack of urgency. ... There were many, many errors made on behalf of the Marine Corps."

Full Story
"Rangers, lead the way off this beach!"-- Gen. Norman Cota

Tell the truth about what you see and what you do. There is an army depending on us for correct information. You can lie all you please when you tell other folks about the Rangers, but don't ever lie to a Ranger or an officer.--Maj. Robert Rogers

HHC 3/75 94-95
D Co 1/503 95-96

Return to “The News Dump”