M4/AR Swivels and Slings

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

M4/AR Swivels and Slings

Post by C-MAC »

New to the board, great to be here.

Looking for opinions on battle tested sling/swivel combination's. I just put a KAC RAS II on my Colt. Was about to add the KAC swivel/Viking Sling to the RAS and got stopped by a friend who said the barrel mounted swivel was better. He thought the forward nature of the barrel swivel was better ergonomics when moving onto firing position. He also thought the RAS swivel pulled/twisted more on the upper. Sounds like BS to me, especially since almost ever m4 I have seen is mounted to the RIS/RAS.

Guess it really comes down to opinion- but thought I would ask anyway. And let's not even get into the conversation about slings......

Flame away.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Re: M4/AR Swivels and Slings

Post by The Holmchicken »

Welcome to the site and thank you for your support. That being said, your first post needs to be an introduction. Go to the proper forum and make your introduction.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Until then, use some 550 cord and a snap link.....
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

I just saw a previous post where a member set off a round of guffaws for asking a similar question (and he was a Ranger). Had I seen that first, I would have been more restrained with my question.

That said, I keep seeing pictures of Rangers using M4's with slings and they ain't 550 cord. I guess the armorer probably has an affinity for the fancy stuff (e.g. swivels and sling from a box) an he is forcing it on everyone- damn those guys.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

My personal preference for my service M4 and my personal M4 was the front sling mount was somewhere close to the slip-ring but behind any lights or lasers. And yes, I used 550 cord to secure it. The back end of the sling was secured to the buffer tube via a rear sling clamp so that my butt-stock position did not effect my sling length.
Your use and mileage may vary...
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I used two 40" boot laces wrapped together. Some of the guys had really pretty ornate hand-tooled leather slings the Phillipine vendors ordered for you. Most just used the GI issue sling you saw a million of in Vietnam.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Thanks for the responses- there are certainly some things to think about.

I just eliminated any thought of a barrel mount which would probably interfere with any other gear I put on the RAS. It kills me that KAC's QD sling mount is 50 bills or for that matter the VTAC's are about 40, which is close to the price of a decent sling. After that, I think going with a 6ft piece of 550 doubled up is looking better all the time. Either that or I am staying with the standard sling Colt gave me.

Sorry to waste your time...
Ranger KW Driver
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=252462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Here is where I get my straps and accessories.

http://www.strapworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Good old Vicker's Sling cannot be beat in every situation, most versatile and "stable" rifle shooting platform out there! You can get a damn good one from Kyle Lamb at Viking Tactics.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

colt1rgr wrote:Good old Vicker's Sling cannot be beat in every situation, most versatile and "stable" rifle shooting platform out there! You can get a damn good one from Kyle Lamb at Viking Tactics.
x2
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com

Return to “Weapons of War”