Book Review - Matterhorn

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

PocketKings
Ranger

Book Review - Matterhorn

Post by PocketKings »

I finished this book a few weeks back and thought you all might enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Matterhorn-Novel- ... 080211928X

The book is called Matterhorn. It is a novel about Vietnam written by an ex-Marine who was there (he earned the Navy Cross, BSM and PH among other things). Accrording to the author, he started writing the book when he got back and it took him 30 years to complete. They guy is also a Yale grad and a Rhodes scholor, so he's a pretty bright guy.

Long story short, this book was the best Vietnam novel I've ever read (and I think I've read them all). The story surrounds a new PL who takes over a Marine platoon at a basecamp called 'Matterhorn.' He deals with all of the 'issues' of being a cherry officer in dealing with his NCOs and higher ups. None of the characters are perfect, and every type of soldier is reflected (the lifers, the studs, the duds, the racists, etc.). Even the main character has his flaws (he wants a medal badly, and it clouds some of his early judgement).

I don't want to give too much away, but I highly recommend this book for several types of folks. First is the new PLs, especially in today's high optempo environment. Some lessons and experiences don't change with time, and the experience of a cherry PL integrating with an established platoon is one of them. Second will be the Vietnam vets (even though this is about Marines). I can't relate to the accuracy of the information, but the author did do a few tours himself so I can only assume it's dead on. Finally, anyone who has any interest in Vietnam (and why it turned out like it did) would enjoy this novel.

I got a renewed respect for the Vietnam grunt and the bullshit they went through. I think this book puts is into a very good perspective for the rest of us.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Book Review - Matterhorn

Post by Silverback »

PocketKings wrote:Long story short, this book was the best Vietnam novel I've ever read (and I think I've read them all).
Have you read "Charlie Rangers"?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Silverback wrote:
PocketKings wrote:Long story short, this book was the best Vietnam novel I've ever read (and I think I've read them all).
Yep. Although some have disputed Rotundo's facts, I believe it is still considered non-fiction.

Matterhorn is 100% novel. The closest approximation to it is Once an Eagle, in my view. But, there are not a ton of Vietnam novels out there.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

PocketKings wrote:
Silverback wrote:
Yep. Although some have disputed Rotundo's facts, I believe it is still considered non-fiction.

Matterhorn is 100% novel. The closest approximation to it is Once an Eagle, in my view. But, there are not a ton of Vietnam novels out there.
In the past I have admitted to having read and really liked Casca #11 :The Legionnaire
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I read Matterhorn and found it to be the best novel of the Vietnam War I have read, even though it is about Marines.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

My three favorite Vietnam books:

#1 Dispatches, Michael Herr (his nonfiction accounts of the surreal war landscapes of I Corps still give me goosebumps)
#2 Born on the Fourth of July, Ron Kovic
#3 The 13th Valley, John Del Vecchio

My favorite Vietnam Oscar-winning screenplay:

The Deer Hunter, by Derick Washburn, based on a fictional Ranger Company attached to the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam.

I'd include the 19 books so far published about L Company, but someone here would acuse me of egoism.

Ranger Bill, I'll order Matterhorn on your recommendation. You're right. Far too little fiction on the Vietnam War, especially good fiction.

I just ordered Gary Dolan's book as well, so I'll write a review after I've read that.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
RetPara
Ranger

Post by RetPara »

Matterhorn is a good read. It is a 'deeper' book than Body Count, which was one of the first Vietnam books. Matterhorn has a very rich character development and plot development. Its a very good read.

Has anyone read 'Body Count' by the late William T Huggett?

ISBN 10: 0399111263 / 0-399-11126-3
ISBN 13: 9780399111266
Publisher: Putnam
Publication Date: 1973

http://www.abebooks.com/978039911126...0399111263/plp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The two books are eerily similar. Both 2LT's in the Corps getting command a rifle platoon in 'Nam, dumped by girl friends, have Marines with medical issues, racial issues in the platoon, BC's tries to macromanage their subordinate companies.
RS2 84-86

Intelligence in a person can be measured.... Stupidity is a bottomless pit which is beyond measure....

Return to “The Mosh Pit”