"asked" to drop rip contract

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
T Bob
Embryo

"asked" to drop rip contract

Post by T Bob »

I stumbled across a post on another forum a couple days ago and want to know what you Rangers think about this.

http://www.army.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9710
(last post of page 1)
I just graduated 11B OSUT yesterday (yay). During OSUT, they called every RIP contract holder (Option 40) to the class room and "asked" them all to drop their contracts. Apparently, theres too many rangers as it is. All of the soldiers that were asked to drop RIP were offered Airborne+choice of station, or a Special Forces contract. Only 2 of the 64 Option 40 holders were asked to not drop their contract.

It was a choice of course, but the moral is that the Army is apparently trying their best to keep people out of RIP for now.
As I was about to post this, I reread it and noticed the last sentence, "It was a choice of course..." But because of the horror stories friends/family have told me about their experiences I'll still ask this question. Can you be forced or ordered to drop RIP?

My lawyer genes are telling me this is BS and they can ask/intimidate all they want but can't order you to un-volunteer if you have it in your contract. But then I've been told that once your in, your in, and it's all up to the needs of the Army.

I'm not going to let this discourage me because I'm going to give One hundred percent and then some. And if this is really the case, I'm going to be one of the two.
Shipdate: 20091006
psouper
Ranger Mom

Re: "asked" to drop rip contract

Post by psouper »

Ok, I am just a mom, but seriously -- do we want Rangers who are going to walk away from the objective just because they were "asked" to? Of course they want to weed all those folks out! You will have many many chances in the next 9 mos to stop whatever you're doing and get a cheeseburger and talk on your phone.

From what I gather about RIP, they don't take you out -- you take yourself out. If you get mad and decide you don't need all the crap that is RIP, you go into a group called Worldwide, and do 24 hr guard shifts until they ship you to a regular infantry unit. Not to take away from any MOS - we need 'em all --but if my son is going into harm's way I want him to go with the best.

Just focus on the task at hand. Reception will be your first challenge.
1/75 Mom
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

"Asked to drop their contracts"

Sounds like

"We have a high volume of people in the program and that is stretching our resources. If we can get kids to quit now instead waiting until they are in RIP we will do a little better"

:::PAUSE:::

"Does anyone want to quit?....errr I mean does anyone want to renegotiate their contract?"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Sounds as if they're giving the quitters a face saving way to quit early and open the slots for better prospects. Then again, why would they need to give a nudge for any other reason? Most Opt 40s quit early & often anyway.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Yup.

I don't get it either. Most of them would have probably been weeded out as it was.

Why wait and quit? If there was an air of doubt in the back of anyone's mind, quit now, quit often and get it over with.

Fact of the matter is if anyone of those 64 ever really had it in their hearts, minds, bodies and souls that all they wanted to do was serve with the best and would settle for nothing less than to see their commitment all the way through, none of them would have stepped forward and QUIT. They never really had it in them to ever become a Ranger. Bottom line? You have it in your contract and that's what you signed on for knowing full well the choice you made and want nothing less, and will settle for nothing less, then don't.

See it through......all the way through. And then laugh at the quitters who are no longer there. They had no business being there in the first fucking place. In the end, the Army didn't keep anyone of those 64 quitters out of RIP, each and everyone of them did it to themselves, not the Army or anyone else.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

T Bob, You are referring us to a thread from another web site, that is dated eight months ago. It is damn near worthless. So quit worrying about anything except preparing yourself for your own entry level training. Don't waste your (or my) time with this kind of foolishness.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

A lot of soldiers drop their RIP option during Airborne training for various reasons, but mostly because they just didn't have what it takes. My guess is this is one of those guys with the I was going to be a Ranger, but (insert excuse here) syndrome. But I could be wrong.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
T Bob
Embryo

Post by T Bob »

Roger Rangers. I see know it was my misinterpretation of the post. I was thinking the user intended "asked" to actually mean told. Just like when my dad "asked" me to do things ... :lol: let's just say I really didn't have a choice in the matter.
Shipdate: 20091006

Return to “About RASP”