Medical packet sent to USAREC

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Iquark
Embryo

Medical packet sent to USAREC

Post by Iquark »

Rangers and SFC Hit_it,

I have been in the paperwork process since the beginning of February and have had my medical packet sent into the Seattle recruiting battalion for a med-read since 20090304. The med-read is for 2 knee surgeries from back in HS football/soccer, and as I stated in my intro were passed through DODMERB for USAFA acceptance with no problems.

I have basically been going into my recruiter twice a week checking for info on my med-read which was supposedly a 3 day process for the past 3 months, and each time the answer is, "We're still waiting." Finally there was a civilian worker there who sent my packet again to the 1SG with a rush on it about 2 weeks ago. This again was supposed to be the final submission to medical, and I was going to have an answer in 3 more business days. In 2 weeks I finally got word when I went in today that the Med-read had been submitted to USAREC because the local doc didn't want to make a decision on my packet himself. I was told it was going to some Doctor Wong, and that they had no idea on how long this wood take.

I grilled my recruiter and all the other people at the recruiting station what this actually meant for me, but no one in the office could really tell me much of anything. All I could really get from them was that this meant it was a for sure waiver, and that I couldn't have a 111111 PULHES, and that even getting a 2 for lower extremities was impossible. All of this has really confused me needless to say.

Basically I have a couple of questions about what a med packet going to USAREC means. First, does anyone know how long I should expect USAREC to take in order to read and make a decision on my packet? Second, does this really mean that I have no chance in hell at getting 1111111 on PULHES. Third, is it common for medical paperwork to take 3 months to get the go/no-go to take a physical.

I'm hoping that this process might be coming towards a time when I can physical because my recruiter told me today that the chance of getting a job I want is slim to none, and that he most likely can't get me a ship date in anything before November. Thanks for any help you can give,

VR,

Ian
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: Medical packet sent to USAREC

Post by hit_it »

1) Noone know how long a USAREC med waiver takes. DOC Wong has been doing this forever and he looks at everything before making a decision.

2) Yes, if it has reached his level I would say a picket fences PULHES is out of the question.

3) I've seen medical waiver takes as long as 8 months and moral waiver as long as a year. The longer it takes at the final approval authority (Doc Wong in this case) the worse it is usualy looking. He's approved some at his level, but more often than not he disapproves and the doctors at each level before it gets to him are deferring to him because they don't want to be the bad guy themselves.

All you need to do is sit back and wait. Check in with your recruiter once a week for updates, but be prepared to go on with your life if it doesn't come back in your favor. Trust me, if it's approved they will be calling you at all hours trying to get you to MEPS.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”