TRYING TO JOIN

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
BrownWaterRat
USN

TRYING TO JOIN

Post by BrownWaterRat »

I just went to MEPS on Friday and was told there are no jobs avaliable but 18X but that is as an E-5 I am currently E-6 and they will not let me reduce to an E-5 to join. So I am asking if there is anybody out there that can help it would be greatly apperciated. Also little back ground I am currently active Navy with 14 years of service. Once again if there as anybody that can offer advise or help will be greatly apperciated.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: TRYING TO JOIN

Post by hit_it »

I am assuming you had a grade determination that states you will keep E-6?

I have not heard of a situation where a person was not allowed to voluntarily reduce themselves to join. We put a former CPT back in as a SGT so he could go 18X.

I say get back with your recruiter to notify you when you would be able to go to MEPS and get in. I think that will be sometime around the last day of the recruiting month (first monday of APR if I recall correctly). Also, bear in mind the Army is going to start SCALING BACK enlisting priors due to having already met it's recruiting goals due to the economy.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
BrownWaterRat
USN

Post by BrownWaterRat »

I could not get in as Active duty but they are telling me to go reserve and then try after a while then try to go active. Also can I still Ranger as a reservist.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

The 75th is an active duty unit. As far as attending Ranger School as a reservist... I'm sure it can be done. I just doubt it's very easy.

No active duty slots open for a prior service guy?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

BrownWaterRat wrote:I just went to MEPS on Friday and was told there are no jobs avaliable but 18X but that is as an E-5 I am currently E-6 and they will not let me reduce to an E-5 to join. So I am asking if there is anybody out there that can help it would be greatly apperciated. Also little back ground I am currently active Navy with 14 years of service. Once again if there as anybody that can offer advise or help will be greatly apperciated.
Doctor's orders:
refer to this thread twice daily until healed:
http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.p ... 34&start=0

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
BrownWaterRat
USN

Post by BrownWaterRat »

Thanks for the info there and the link. My problem is I have 14 years of service. That is why they will not reduce me in rank and they "say" there are no jobs available for an E-6 right now. So I will keep on trying I think first I need to find a different recruiter. Thank all of yall for everything.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Thanks for coming back with more info.

Yes, you can NOT reduce if the grade you reduce to will not allow you to enlist for 3 years without hitting RCP. Hopefully comething will happen in your favor.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”