Best Sapper competition

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: Best Sapper competition

Post by rgrokelley »

rgrpuck wrote: During WWII we created more awards badges and ribbons than in any other time in history.
On a whole different note... this reminded me of some of my research for my WWII class. Operation Downfall was the planned invasion of Japan, prior to us getting THE Bomb. They ordered 500,000 Purple Hearts for the invasion. They already had 150,000 in the supply system. The Purple Hearts that the military gave out in Korea, Vietnam, all the others, and gives out now are from that large order in 1945. They still have over half of those Purple Hearts left.

So, if you have a Purple Heart, it is older than all of us, and it was meant to go to the 1 to 4 million dead and wounded Americans that would have happened if we had not dropped those two bombs on Japan.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:
pzpos360 wrote:The whole Army is "feel good" now. I went to Sapper school a month after Ranger school before there was a Sapper tab. As a young E-4 it was an excellent course taught by extremely professional NCOs. The 307th Engineers used to send Soldiers to it like a JRTC rotation, I attended with several guys who had successfully completed the course 3 times before.
Yep it is feel good....it "feels good" to get blown the fuck up by an IED.....it "feels fucking great" to be looking at the second year in the last three down range.....It "feels good" to watch another, 20 something kid with 4 years and 2 deployments, family implode. It is awsome to know that I get the honor of missing my sons baseball games ....this birthday ...and christmas one more time.

Yep the Army is nothing but a feel good place were well all slap each other on the back and award each other little bits of ribbon Not like back when it was hard when Bosnia was the big game.

you know what really feels good? saluteing a rifle with a helmet on it .....

If I sound like I am bitchin......

fuck you Pzpos.

I feel great.
:roll:
Holy shit, Puckster...you sitting around listening to Willie Music while you drink some Jack typing this? Your meaning is OK all by itself and needs no explanation however, think you took Pzos out of context. The man was just elaborating on The Sapper Tab, and the Army in general trying to make everyone feel elite. Master Gunner School, Sapper Course, Scout Swimmer, ect, ect, ect...you name it...people tend to compare it to what is known as tough for relation sake. Of course, some would really WANT these things to be as renowned as "The Ranger legend" without the effort required.

For the record though...you have a valid point in what you say. Just that you fired a shot over what you thought he said as opposed to what he actually said. And bro...."Saluting" doesnt have an "e". Jes sayin... :wink:
Not jumping on the dogpile here CSM but I think RIR has a point on this one (I gives a fuck about your ability to spell I underment what you stood). I also don't think that was pzpos intent with his post and I don't think it required a "Fuck you!" in response.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I ain't gonna wax poetic.

Puck has a point and it is very valid. Statements like "feel good Army" do not bring justice to what our Troopers have and are still accomplishing. When you make general statements you tend to be generalized by the group you are making the statement to.

Saying or even implying that the Army isn't as hard as it used to be is a complete and absolute fantasy! Things are different...that is for sure. Even I have been dismayed by the Army's institutional inability to enforce standards of conduct and discipline during dwell time. I am not talking about the big stuff (DUIs, Drugs, Murder) because that is being dealt with effectively, I am talking about the little things (Military courtesy, Bearing and the like).

All in all I would much rather have a Soldier that is willing to shoot a bad guy in the face than have a Soldier who maxes out the Audie Murphy board!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Silverback wrote:All in all I would much rather have a Soldier that is willing to shoot a bad guy in the face than have a Soldier who maxes out the Audie Murphy board!

kinda goes against the saying there are no such thing as field soldiers and garrison soldiers doesn't it?

Of course I have always said that those who say that usally sucked in the woods.
Last edited by RRDTm3 on January 28th, 2009, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RRDTm3 wrote:
Silverback wrote:All in all I would much rather have a Soldier that is willing to shoot a bad guy in the face than have a Soldier who maxes out the Audie Murphy board!

kind goes against the saying there are no such thing as field soldiers and garrison soldiers doesn't it?

Of course I have always said that those who say that usally sucked in the woods.

There is a balance that needs to be struck and it is a tricky business.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Silverback wrote:
RRDTm3 wrote:

kind goes against the saying there are no such thing as field soldiers and garrison soldiers doesn't it?

Word. Puck?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

. wrote:
Zonk 1/75 wrote:Whats a sapper?
One who drains sap from trees, I think. :wink: :D
Right, and the Rangers protect the trees, so..... Same / Same
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Bravo57 wrote:
. wrote:
One who drains sap from trees, I think. :wink: :D
Right, and the Rangers protect the trees, so..... Same / Same
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is funny right there...I don't care who you are!!!!

So THAT is why they say it's the same thing....leave it to Cash to figure this shit out!!!! Now the world makes sense again (not really).
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
RRDTm3 wrote:

Word. Puck?
This what the 'Purd said.....

There is no such thing as a good field soldier.
You are either a soldier or not a soldier. Everything from
appearance to police call is important. This bull shit about
my space and my rights is just that BULL SHIT. Barracks are
not his or her home its a place for them to live. For saying
this I was told I had a mess kit mentality. This individuality
BS of "I need my own room" is garbage. We waste more money
building these Condos so soldiers can feel good, and not be
part of a team its sickening. They should live in fire team bays.
It builds cohesion. Key control alone is a nightmare. Of course
don't bother the poor soldier just let him live like a pig,
and when he gets sick or you find out he or she is a drug
dealer then blame it on the NCO Corp even though you the
illustrious BN CMDR, BDE CMDR said leave the soldiers alone
in there precious rooms. Soldiers are owed a place to sleep,
their pay, and the best leadership and training that can be
provided.

However, I tend to agree with Dan. there is a balance to be struck.

I have known some guys that were pretty damn good in the woods that could also quote chapter line and verse out of AR's.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrpuck wrote:I have known some guys that were pretty damn good in the woods that could also quote chapter line and verse out of AR's.
One day Private Silverback was standing in formation during an in-ranks inspection and heard the following exchange one Soldier to my right.

PSG: Ranger, those boots look like shit
PVT: Sergeant these are my field boots
PSG: There ain't no such thing as field boots
PVT: Roger Sergeant

When the PSG got to me (and my shiny boots) he said "You usually got something to say anything you wanna' add"?

All I said was "Sergeant if there is no such thing as field boots then that also means there is no such thing as Garrison boots."
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:I have known some guys that were pretty damn good in the woods that could also quote chapter line and verse out of AR's.
One day Private Silverback was standing in formation during an in-ranks inspection and heard the following exchange one Soldier to my right.

When the PSG got to me (and my shiny boots) he said "You usually got something to say anything you wanna' add"?

All I said was "Sergeant if there is no such thing as field boots then that also means there is no such thing as Garrison boots."
That logic shit will get a Pvt smoked every time.....

That and asking ....Sgt ? Why are we ....?....<fill in the blank>
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrpuck wrote:
Silverback wrote:

That logic shit will get a Pvt smoked every time.....

That and asking ....Sgt ? Why are we ....?....<fill in the blank>

Yeah, I got my fill that morning! The thing is as long as I was a PV1 (Almost 2-years) my mouth was a source of much pain. The day I became a SGT people thought my mouth was a gift from God. Funny how rank changes people's perspective.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
abn-rgr
Ranger

Post by abn-rgr »

Sorry Ass Piss Poor Excuse for a Ranger
RS 04-94
"Hard and Cold for the Black and Gold"
Ne Desit Virtus