Alternative route to RIP

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
tony11x
Future Soldier

Alternative route to RIP

Post by tony11x »

I'm currently enlisted as 11X with ABN. I wasn't able to get Option 40 because I am not a US Citizen yet, although my recruiter told me that I would be able to start the application for citizenship as soon as I get to basic training. For anyone serving in active duty the process is less than a year to get US Citizenship under the Citizenship through Military Service Act.

Everything else is squared away though:

I scored an 84 in the ASVAB with 120 GT
I have a college degree and will be bumped up to E-4
My PT scores are decent (12:58 min 2 mile, 150 pushups, 120 situps, 18 pullups)
My PUHLES are (111111)
No criminal record
Good Credit

I'd like to know from first hand experience, is it possible to transfer from, say the 82nd ABN to the 75th Ranger Regiment once I get my US Citizenship?

Thanks guys.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Alternative route to RIP

Post by K.Ingraham »

You will probably have to complete a tour with whatever outfit your with. If the unit is due to go to war, you're going with them first. If you still have a taste for the trade after that, then you might have something to offer the Regiment.
Army regs detail how to volunteer for the Ranger Regiment, just follow procedure and in the meantime, be the best soldier you can be.
You will have to be able to get a 'secret' level clearance, that is the issue where your citizenship becomes an issue.
Make sure you see the Ranger/RIP liason at jump school.

Most of us by great fortune were born here; Thank you for choosing America and working to become one of us.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
tony11x
Future Soldier

Post by tony11x »

K.Ingraham wrote:You will probably have to complete a tour with whatever outfit your with. If the unit is due to go to war, you're going with them first. If you still have a taste for the trade after that, then you might have something to offer the Regiment.
Army regs detail how to volunteer for the Ranger Regiment, just follow procedure and in the meantime, be the best soldier you can be.
You will have to be able to get a 'secret' level clearance, that is the issue where your citizenship becomes an issue.
Make sure you see the Ranger/RIP liason at jump school.

Most of us by great fortune were born here; Thank you for choosing America and working to become one of us.
Thanks for your words of encouragement Ranger K.Ingraham. Coming from a third world country and seeing what life is like out there and in other countries, I'm just glad I now have this opportunity to serve this nation and actually EARN my citizenship, a lot of people take citizenship for granted nowadays, I came here on a student visa, then worked my way to a working visa, and after 10 years I got my greencard.

I'm 32 years old and will finally be shipping out in April.

I actually did some reading on this forum before I enlisted and took a lot of advice to heart, initially they didn't give me the contract I wanted but after some pulling I got what I wanted.

I will talk to the liasons when I get to jump school.

Thanks for the advice and thanks for this board.
tony11x
Future Soldier

Post by tony11x »

Tenn-RGR wrote:Now, were those 150 pushups graded by a US Army NCO? I ask because that is who will grade you on an official APFT. Are saying you did 150 correct pushups in 2 minutes and 120 correct situps in 2 minutes? :?
Yes Ranger Tenn-RGR, I took the US Navy Seal Fitness challenge and was monitored by a SEAL, not an Army NCO but a Navy SO1. I also met one of my idols in the field of endurance sports, SO1 David Goggins.

http://sealfitnesschallenge.com/scores.html?userid=2478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to this, I test myself Friday every week.

I did poorly in the run at that event though because my chest was cramping from pushing too many out.

Oops I just realized I did 160 push ups and 114 situps then. My mistake.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Speaking as someone who has seen and graded probably thousands of Army soldiers on the APFT, I will tell you this right now that it is physically impossible to do 160 pushups in two minutes with proper form. I graded the pushup event for the Best Ranger Competition more than once and the most I ever saw there was 125 in two minutes. You might want to either go to an Army recruiter and have them administer an APFT or stop trying to bullshit people with these ridiculous numbers.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
tony11x
Future Soldier

Post by tony11x »

Rangerguru wrote:Speaking as someone who has seen and graded probably thousands of Army soldiers on the APFT, I will tell you this right now that it is physically impossible to do 160 pushups in two minutes with proper form. I graded the pushup event for the Best Ranger Competition more than once and the most I ever saw there was 125 in two minutes. You might want to either go to an Army recruiter and have them administer an APFT or stop trying to bullshit people with these ridiculous numbers.
Thanks for the suggestion Rangerguru, I will have my recruiter administer an APFT at the next DEP meeting.
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Post by soldiersdad »

Personally I would like to see 150 push ups in 2 minutes. Nothing to getting a recorder and a friend to tape it. Send it to one of the moderstors here so it can be posted. soldiersdad
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

One year to citizenship?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Kilted Heathen wrote:One year to citizenship?

As well as legal drivers license
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
tony11x
Future Soldier

Post by tony11x »

Good morning Ranger Kilted Heathen,

Typically, a civilian immigrant would have to wait for 5 years before they can apply for US citizenship, at times of war the USCIS streamlines the applications for immigrants serving in the military under special provisions under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

So my plan will be to do my time with the outfit I get into and when I get my US Citizenship, I'll request a transfer to the Ranger Regiment. Has any Ranger on the board done this successfully? Thanks.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

tony11x wrote:

Typically, a civilian immigrant would have to wait for 5 years before they can apply for US citizenship, at times of war the USCIS streamlines the applications for immigrants serving in the military under special provisions under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

So my plan will be to do my time with the outfit I get into and when I get my US Citizenship, I'll request a transfer to the Ranger Regiment. Has any Ranger on the board done this successfully? Thanks.

Thanks so much for the info.

Do some fucking push ups.

Then hit the search button.

When you figure out who you've just lectured on the fucking INS...do some more fucking push-ups.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
tony11x wrote:

When you figure out who you've just lectured on the fucking INS...do some more fucking push-ups.
wire....tripped.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
tony11x
Future Soldier

Post by tony11x »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
tony11x wrote:

My Apologies Ranger Kilted Heathen, I didn't realize that you went through the painful process called legal immigration as well.

I'm filling out the forms right now and on my way to the recruiter's office with them. Thank you.
Last edited by tony11x on January 12th, 2009, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

This is classic. I come in tonight to this fucking shit.

Now, the citizenship thing is accelerated once you are IN THE MILITARY. Doesn't apply to DEPs or trainees.

160 pu's is complete fucking rubbish. I would let a SEAL grade an ARMY PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST when I make my mother exit a fucking aircraft wearing a T-10 and full combat equipment.

Nice day over there?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
tony11x
Future Soldier

Post by tony11x »

hit_it wrote:This is classic. I come in tonight to this fucking shit.

Now, the citizenship thing is accelerated once you are IN THE MILITARY. Doesn't apply to DEPs or trainees.

160 pu's is complete fucking rubbish. I would let a SEAL grade an ARMY PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST when I make my mother exit a fucking aircraft wearing a T-10 and full combat equipment.

Nice day over there?
Welcome home, Ranger hit_it.

Yes, the weather here in Chicago is just lovely, we're supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow tonight.

Return to “Recruitment Process”