medical qulifications

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
fighter31
Egg

medical qulifications

Post by fighter31 »

I am 16 years old and I’ve wanted to join the Army and the Rangers since I was three. The reason is that my father is a retired First Sergeant and a Vietnam vet that served with the 9th infantry division in 1968 through 1969. My father died last year that’s why this means so much to me.

The thing is that I had a stroke on my first birthday due to an artery in the brain didn't fully developed and the blood I got to thick running through there.

I 2002 my neurologist released me from her clinic because there was nothing else she could do. The state of Louisiana denied me for disability saying that I am a normal person.

I am very active I play baseball. I've done taekwondo, boxing, mma, kickboxing and my father even taught me hand to hand combat and marksmanship

Can I qualify medically for the army and the Ranger School?
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Too hard to say without more information. You will have to discuss this in person with MEPs physicians and their neurology consult physicians after a full physical and eval. I wouldn't advise you to plan your future around joining the military, but I wouldnt completely discard the possibility.

Below is the line paragraph concerning your particular situation with areas of concern in bold.

2–26. Neurological disorders
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:
a. Cerebrovascular conditions, any history of subarachnoid (430) or intracerebral (431) hemorrhage, vascular insufficiency,
aneurysm, or arteriovenous malformation (437).

b. Congenital malformations (742), if associated with neurological manifestations or if known to be progressive;
meningocele (741), even if uncomplicated.

(2) Applicants with a history of severe head injury are unfit for a period of at least 5 years, after which they may be
considered fit if complete neurological and neurophysical evaluation shows no residual dysfunction or complications.

Applicants with a history of severe penetrating head injury are unfit for a period of at least 10 years after the injury.
After 10 years they may be considered fit if complete neurological and neuropsychological evaluation shows no
residuals dysfunction or complications. Severe head injuries are defined by one or more of the following:
(a) Unconsciousness or amnesia, alone or in combination, of 24 hours duration or longer.
(b) Depressed skull fracture.
(c) Laceration or contusion of dura or brain.
(d) Epidural, subdural, subarachnoid, or intracerebral hematoma.
(e) Associated abscess or meningitis.
(f) Cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea or otorrhea persisting more than 7 days.
(g) Focal neurologic signs.

The key point is in the 2nd paragraph

may be
considered fit if complete neurological and neurophysical evaluation shows no residual dysfunction or complications

A complete neurological and neurophysical evaluation would involve far more than the information that you could give me on line, however if you were to see a neurologist they could give an approximation. This Will cost you though, and if you wait the military will float the bill to have you evaluated when going through MEPs.

Now go post an intro in the proper section.
Last edited by DJB on August 15th, 2008, 4:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. You need to talk with a recruiter and go through the process at MEPs to find out if you will qualify for military service.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Medical Issues”