Aquariums, fishkeeping, etc

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Vee
Ranger

Aquariums, fishkeeping, etc

Post by Vee »

I just recently got into the hobby. It started with my kids last Christmas and has evolved into me remodeling my den to make room for more and larger tanks. :oops:

Anyone else have fishtanks?
RSD 96-99
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I have two tanks, both freshwater. Eventually, I'll pick up an ~80 gallon saltwater tank.

As for the having two, originally, I had one tank for aggressive (Cichlids, Needle Nose Gar, etc.) and the larger tank for community fish.

After relocating to California, I gave away all the hostile fish and upon my return to Utah, both tanks are now community.

Shitload of work feeding, cleaning, replacing dead fish, etc.

About twice/year, I empty both tanks, scrub them down, replace old tank items (fake plants, etc) and re-insert the fish; takes most of a Saturday.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

BruteForce wrote:I have two tanks, both freshwater. Eventually, I'll pick up an ~80 gallon saltwater tank.

As for the having two, originally, I had one tank for aggressive (Cichlids, Needle Nose Gar, etc.) and the larger tank for community fish.

After relocating to California, I gave away all the hostile fish and upon my return to Utah, both tanks are now community.

Shitload of work feeding, cleaning, replacing dead fish, etc.

About twice/year, I empty both tanks, scrub them down, replace old tank items (fake plants, etc) and re-insert the fish; takes most of a Saturday.

I never was the least interested. My kids took the money they got from Grandma this year at Xmas and bought a 15 gallon. I threw in a few bucks and bought some fish.....they died with a few days.

Of course, me being me, I had to figure out why....and now I'm hooked.

I always thought of it as....well.....fishkeeping. What I really like about it is that you have to create an entire ecosystem and make it work to have your fish thrive.

Plus they're alot of fun to watch. 8)

I am setting up a 55 gallon right now for Malawi dwarf cichlids.
RSD 96-99
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Ranger Vee, I've kept fish most of my life, I guess. Never thought of it like that, but it seems to be the way it's been.

When the kids were home they would choose the fish, and then add turtles and other inhabitants. Now that they're off and gone, I re-fit the tank. Just for grins I went with a Hogwarts School of Wizardry theme for the decor. Got a castle, a hut, lots of plants and keep finding interesting things to put in it. The star of the tank is my blue lobster (it's fresh water, so I think he's really a crayfish). He's bright blue and does a good job of uprooting everything. Fun to watch.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Vee I've had aquariums for a long time as well. I love the natural plants and the community fish. My next step is to go to a saltwater setup.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Geez, I have spent a small fortune over the years keeping fish, reptiles and amphibians. I've had them all. Once had an electric eel. Arrowanas and discus were my favorite fresh water fish. I also liked Mozambique mouthbreeders. In the house I lived in before my present one, I had a two-fifty gallon salt water tank built into a wall. All this was before I had kids. Now, I have three ponds I made in the yard about 18 years ago. There are hardy goldfish, frogs, snails, and an occasional turtle comes by. There are lilly pads, cattails and some other plants. The beauty of the ponds is that they have become true ecosystems. I never change the water or clean them and I don't even have to feed the fish. I sit outside and watch the frogs catch bugs, and listen to the sounds of the fountain and waterfalls.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Ardent Lady wrote:Ranger Vee, I've kept fish most of my life, I guess. Never thought of it like that, but it seems to be the way it's been.

When the kids were home they would choose the fish, and then add turtles and other inhabitants. Now that they're off and gone, I re-fit the tank. Just for grins I went with a Hogwarts School of Wizardry theme for the decor. Got a castle, a hut, lots of plants and keep finding interesting things to put in it. The star of the tank is my blue lobster (it's fresh water, so I think he's really a crayfish). He's bright blue and does a good job of uprooting everything. Fun to watch.
I too had one of those "Blue Lobster's". Watch out when he finally catches a fish, its like watching a chain saw in action!
US Army 1986 - 1994
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Vee wrote:I never was the least interested. My kids took the money they got from Grandma this year at Xmas and bought a 15 gallon.
I hear you there. I have two aquariums, a third tank full of hermit crabs, two 110 pound dogs and a little white cat; all thanks to my 10 year old boy!

Does he take care of them? Nope! Begged and begged and promised that he'd feed and take care of them, but now its up to the wife and I.
US Army 1986 - 1994
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Looks like pictures coming soon to this thread. :P
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I had a tank back in my "Mad 70's".

One item I was proud of was a pink rubber diver ('bout 2" long). I experimented by placing a thin pin through his middle torso & re-emmersing him in tank. It would take up to 48 hours before all bubbles attached to his body were gone. Then I hit upon the correct balance of weightlessness in the water. Whenever I had my silent giant on (aerating the water) a current developed and he swam up and down around the tank floating/diving with the current.

Kudos to your girls & you Vee. It can be a rewarding hobby.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

IDon'tCare wrote:Looks like pictures coming soon to this thread. :P
Like you care.

15 gallon that started it all. Population has changed a bit since this pic.

55 gallon as I was building the custom stand for it:

55 gallon as it sits now, cycling with cheap goldfish before adding the cichlids I want:

RSD 96-99
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Vee wrote:

55 gallon as it sits now, cycling with cheap goldfish before adding the cichlids I want:

Sweet Ranger!

Indoor fishing is a great concept though it looks like you would have to eat alot of those critters to get full. :?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Vee: Provided the gold fish aren't overly large, you could just leave them in the tank when you add the Cichlids.

I won't do the aggressive fish anymore, as they really foul up the water quickly (mainly if you feed them live fish) and are tough to add fish in with. The last batch of South American Cichlids I got wouldn't let any new addition live longer than 2 days. It's the smaller Cichlids that are the ass-kickers; they'll tear up another Cichlid twice/three times their own size.

Nice custom stand, were you intending to make it blend into the wall? The tank will sure light up the room.
US Army 1986 - 1994
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Vee wrote:
IDon'tCare wrote:Looks like pictures coming soon to this thread. :P
Like you care.

15 gallon that started it all. Population has changed a bit since this pic.

55 gallon as I was building the custom stand for it:

No I don't 8)

But i knew they were on the way :lol:
Good pictures. I did use to have a cool Oscar once upon a time...Long story short but he did drown. :cry:
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

IDon'tCare wrote:Good pictures. I did use to have a cool Oscar once upon a time...Long story short but he did drown. :cry:
How in the hell does an Oscar drown??????

As for the Seaworld setup, looking good V. 8) Even for a hippy and lizard king such as yourself. :lol:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”