SOON TO BE GONE

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

SOON TO BE GONE

Post by Slowpoke »

I GOT THIS IN AN E-MAIL FROM AFRIEND OF MINE AND THOUGHT EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT!
This should be required reading in every school and college in our country. This Captain, an Army doctor, deserves a medal himself for putting this together.

SOON TO BE GONE
By A MILITARY DOCTOR

I am a doctor specializing in the Emergency Departments of the only two military Level One-Trauma Centers, both in San Antonio, TX and they care for civilian Emergencies as well as military personnel. San Antonio has the largest military retiree population in the world living here. As a military doctor, I work long hours and the pay is less than glamorous. One tends to become jaded by the long hours, lack of sleep, food, family contact and the endless parade of human suffering passing before you. The arrival of another ambulance does not mean more pay, only more work.

Most often, it is a victim from a motor vehicle crash.

Often it is a person of dubious character who has been shot or stabbed. With our large military retiree population, it is often a nursing home patient. Even with my enlisted service and minimal combat experience in Panama, I have caught myself groaning when the ambulance brought in yet another sick, elderly person from one of the local retirement centers that cater to military retirees. I had not stopped to think of what citizens of this age group represented.

I saw 'Saving Private Ryan.' I was touched deeply. Not so much by the carnage, but by the sacrifices of so many. I was touched most by the scene of the elderly survivor at the graveside, asking his wife if he'd been a good man. I realized that I had seen these same men and women coming through my Emergency Dept. and had not realized what magnificent sacrifices they had made. The things they did for me and everyone else that has lived on this planet since the end of that conflict are priceless.

Situation permitting, I now try to ask my patients about their experiences. They would never bring up the subject without the inquiry. I have been privileged to an amazing array of experiences, recounted in the brief minutes allowed in an Emergency Dept. encounter. These experiences have revealed the incredible individuals I have had the honor of serving in a medical capacity, many on their last admission to the hospital.

There was a frail, elderly woman who reassured my young enlisted medic, trying to start an IV line in her arm. She remained calm and poised, despite her illness and the multiple needle-sticks into her fragile veins. She was what we call a 'hard stick.' As the medic made another attempt, I noticed a number tattooed across her forearm. I touched it with one finger and looked into her eyes. She simply said, 'Auschwitz.' Many of later generations would have loudly and openly berated the young medic in his many attempts. How different was the response from this person who'd seen unspeakable suffering.

Also, there was this long retired Colonel, who as a young officer had parachuted from his burning plane over a Pacific Island held by the Japanese. Now an octogenarian, he had a minor cut on his head from a fall at his home where he lived alone. His CT scan and suturing had been delayed until after midnight by the usual parade of high priority ambulance patients. Still spry for his age, he asked to use the phone to call a taxi, to take him home, then he realized his ambulance had brought him without his wallet. He asked if he could use the phone to make a long distance call to his daughter who lived 7 miles away. With great pride we told him that he could not, as he'd done enough for his country and the least we could do was get him a taxi home, even if we had to pay for it ourselves. My only regret was that my shift wouldn't end for several hours, and I couldn't drive him myself.

I was there the night M/Sgt. Roy Benavidez came through the Emergency Dept. for the last time. He was very sick. I was not the doctor taking care of him, but I walked to his bedside and took his hand. I said nothing. He was so sick, he didn't know I was there. I'd read his Congressional Medal of Honor citation and wanted to shake his hand. He died a few days later.

The gentleman who served with Merrill's Marauders,

the survivor of the Bataan Death March,

the survivor of Omaha Beach,

the 101 year old World War I veteran.

The former POW held in frozen North Korea,

The former Special Forces medic - now with non-operable liver cancer,

the former Viet Nam Corps Commander.

I remember these citizens .

I may still groan when yet another ambulance comes in, but now I am much more aware of what an honor it is to serve these particular men and women.

I have seen a Congress who would turn their back on these individuals who've sacrificed so much to protect our liberty. I see later generations that seem to be totally engrossed in abusing these same liberties, won with such sacrifice.

It has become my personal endeavor to make the nurses and young enlisted medics aware of these amazing individuals when I encounter them in our Emergency Dept. Their response to these particular citizens has made me think that perhaps all is not lost in the next generation.

My experiences have solidified my belief that we are losing an incredible generation, and this nation knows not what it is losing. Our uncaring government and ungrateful civilian populace should all take note. We should all remember that we must 'Earn this.'

Written By CPT. Stephen R. Ellison, M.D. US Army
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Powerful stuff Poke', thanks for posting that.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Wow.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
litlbird
Ranger Mom

Post by litlbird »

We can certainly say on the behalf of our seniors..."been there, done that".

This region of Texas seniors is rich in glorious history. Half of my family tree is from there. The last remaining 3rd generation uncle of mine of the German Prince Solm era is a "Chosin Few" veteran. One of his oldest deceased brothers was a WWI veteran who had given my father a Luger of his. Unfortunately, that Luger was stolen in a house robbery.

I had attended w/son in tow who was home on break from the JRROTC Marine Academy he attended. There was an elderly man who heard about about my son's attendance and approached to introduce himself to my son. It was obvious he wanted to pass the torch of "war wisdom" to him. I enjoyed listening to him talked to my son. My son gleamed and smiled in admiration knowing full well the importance of the gentlemen he conversed with. This veteran, like my uncle, was also one of "The Chosin Few". In a most profound moment, I witnessed this Veteran Gentleman look my son in the eyes, holding his shoulder by his hand as if to be gently holding the attention of his soul and tell him "You must kill or be killed". There was full eye contact and a connection of full understanding between the two. In this profound moment, my son was given the secret to the success of the warrior...what engagement is about. I witnessed my son grasp easily the universe of this soldiers wisdom. But I also watched the Veteran Gentleman of the Chosin Few peer into my son's soul as if to examine his own battle buddy. When this momentous interview was completed, I asked him..."does he have it in him"? and the war veteran replied "yes he does". That was the moment, the day I became a Spartan Mother.

Later my son had to do a paper in which he had to interview a Chosin Few veteran. My uncle clearly stated he did not want to discuss anything about that event so in the alternative, the Veteran Gentleman was contacted and he gave my son his interview for the academic paper.

Yeah, I like old people....with admiration of their grits of yesteryear and some with a blaze of glory in their spirits...indeed, they've been there, done that.

Take Care,
litlbird
Last edited by litlbird on March 8th, 2008, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save A Cowboy...Ride A Harley

Sometimes I feel like a bitch and sometimes I don't.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

litlbird,
You met a member of the Chosin Few, not the Chosen Few.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
litlbird
Ranger Mom

Post by litlbird »

dang it! I knew that...thanks for the spell check. I'll try to edit for correction.

litlbird
Ranger Mom

Post by litlbird »

edit completed.

Thanks Ranger Silverback

Take Care,
litlbird

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Every time I get someone who is a Vet I make it a point to shake their hand and thank them. If possible I try and ask them about their service. I've actually run into a few old school Ranger types.

More than once it has helped me calm down patients having bad PTSD related stress by telling them I was a Ranger Medic. They get that "Doc, you gotta help me.." look in their face, and I reassure them that they are home and that nothing can hurt them now. One cat we found was so bad he was low-crawling around barstools saying there were gooks in the wire and he had to call an airstrike. Two tours as a young Marine. I have no doubt that he was "In the shit.." It amazes me that the VA is so reactive and not proactive with things like PTSD and alcoholism in Vets. Usually the two go hand in hand, and not in a good way.

A few years back I had transported a terminal cancer patient who was a 101st Vet from when they were on jump status. When I asked, he said that he lost his jump wings years ago and never replaced them. After my shift was over I went home, got the wings I had on my class A's, and brought them to him in the hospital. I apologized for not having a set of master wings to give him, but somehow I don't think that mattered.

The worst is when I take a homeless Vet. A lot of times it's because the shelter is full and they have nowhere else to go. Its heartbreaking not to be able to do more for them. It's a travesty to be homeless in this country, but doubly so for it to be a Vet.

For the most part, though I enjoy taking care of the patients who are
Vets. I enjoy hearing their stories of their service and lives in general. In my view we don't do enough for them. No expense should be too great for a person who served their country honorably.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Too all that came before and to all that continue to Lead the Way!!!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

Dude, Stephen lives across the road from me. He was/is a medic with 1st Bn in Panama. Made MD, and now retired and works in a Scott and White hospital in the FT. Hook AO.
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:... No expense should be too great for a person who served their country honorably.
X2.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

XCrunner wrote:Thank you Ranger Slowpoke, I never realised how many great men and women of sacrifice there are around me. I'm going to find a nursing home in the area where some Veterans live, I want to listen to them to hear what they have to say and to hear what they have done.
Once or twice a year I'll take my boys up to the St. James Veterans Home, to sit and talk with the men and women who live there. We must always remember those who paved the way for us.

Thanks for the post, 'Poke. That was awesome.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

When I was a leg at Fort Lewis we got a post tasking to visit a Veterans home for Veterans day. We had to wear Class-A and take a bus. We all bitched, but meeting those guys was pretty awesome. In the end we were all glad we had to do it.

Also, the 173d Reunion in Chicago (2002ish) was awesome. I got to meet Al Rascon, he's not the nicest guy in the world but he was a pretty decent fella.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”