Knee Problems

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

Thankyou Doc, I think I have it under control now, was just curious what the next steps should be taken incase it flares up again.

Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
being held hostage in sandhill...
CCRN
Embryo

Post by CCRN »

Hello,

I am a new member, nonranger, and this is my first post on this board. I would like to add to this as I have had some experience in this area personaly.

This wont help the original poster as the only thing he should have done is rest for a couple of weeks. It is hard to do when you wish to train hard. Sometimes people perform better after a week or two off just before a APFT.

But for those who are starting out running to get in shape for militatry service, particularly those that might be older I suggest to also see a physical medicine and sports rehabilition physician. I did this and found that I was using the wrong type of shoe for my feet. Instead of the expensive high quality cushion road shoe I was using I needed a "stabilizing" shoe (asics 2090). This can make a huge difference while training hard within a limited span of time.

Also its important to avoid the "three toos" (too much, too quick, too soon)especialy for those of who might have been used to performance running sometime in the past. Instead what avid runners, Doctors, and physical therapists are recommending is the "walk/run" method for beginners and people starting over again. Instead of going for distance go for time. Fifteen minutes of 2 walking/2 running is most widely accepted. Do this for one month then begin running for distance.

After that train for the 5k run which equals about three miles. This should be more than enough to score well on a two mile run and good prep for further distances.

Most decent running books and websites have training regimines for runners starting out. In the 21 century I see no reason to not use technology to your advantage.

If you are young enough to qualify for a contract you have nothing to gain and everything to loose by doing too much, too soon, too quick. Your potential military career could end on the streets of your benign neighborhood.

Athletic devices as mention previously can be found here muellersportsmed.com and elsewhere-

ccrn
CCRN
Embryo

Post by CCRN »

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

ccrn wrote:Hello,

I am a new member, nonranger, and this is my first post on this board. I would like to add to this as I have had some experience in this area personaly.

This wont help the original poster as the only thing he should have done is rest for a couple of weeks. It is hard to do when you wish to train hard. Sometimes people perform better after a week or two off just before a APFT.

But for those who are starting out running to get in shape for militatry service, particularly those that might be older I suggest to also see a physical medicine and sports rehabilition physician. I did this and found that I was using the wrong type of shoe for my feet. Instead of the expensive high quality cushion road shoe I was using I needed a "stabilizing" shoe (asics 2090). This can make a huge difference while training hard within a limited span of time.

Also its important to avoid the "three toos" (too much, too quick, too soon)especialy for those of who might have been used to performance running sometime in the past. Instead what avid runners, Doctors, and physical therapists are recommending is the "walk/run" method for beginners and people starting over again. Instead of going for distance go for time. Fifteen minutes of 2 walking/2 running is most widely accepted. Do this for one month then begin running for distance.

After that train for the 5k run which equals about three miles. This should be more than enough to score well on a two mile run and good prep for further distances.

Most decent running books and websites have training regimines for runners starting out. In the 21 century I see no reason to not use technology to your advantage.

If you are young enough to qualify for a contract you have nothing to gain and everything to loose by doing too much, too soon, too quick. Your potential military career could end on the streets of your benign neighborhood.

Athletic devices as mention previously can be found here muellersportsmed.com and elsewhere-

ccrn
ccrn

It sounds as if you are pushing these medical devices like you have an investment in them. What sort of credentials do you have to dispense medical advice on armyrangerdotcom? It is customary to make an introduction in the apporpiate introduction section at the top of our main forum page. Please post an introduction before you post again.

Please do so and leave the medical dispensing advice to our Doc.

Here is a link you should read, especially item #4. http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1837
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Medical Issues”