Need a Civilian Job? Especially in northern california.

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

NG_11B30
Embryo

Need a Civilian Job? Especially in northern california.

Post by NG_11B30 »

I didn’t know which section of the forum to post this in, so I guessed here. I am trying to help out my infantry brothers, I know it can be hard to find a job when being a grunt is all you’ve ever done, at least that’s how it was for me at one time. But working for the federal government – well it’s very familiar. Grunt skills are a MAJOR plus here. My boss is eager to hire another infantryman.

Employment opportunity.

If you are no longer on active duty, or about to ETS here shortly and would like to continue working for the government earning almost nothing humping a rucksack, operating small motorized watercraft, driving ATV’s, doing long hours of land nav, and just being in the woods I have a job for the right guys. We use high end GPS to accurately establish boundaries and monuments. From January to March we don’t do too much, sit in the office, fix broken stuff, order supplies, do project analysis (prep work) for work projects that run April through December.

I work for a government agency that does surveying in the backwoods and mountains of northern California (Ukiah or Sacramento to the Oregon border). If you want to work in this region I can help you get on board. If you want to work in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, or New Mexico, I can tell you how to get on board, but whether or not you do is up to you – grunts have a great chance to succeed and in my opinion are perfectly suited for this work. The starting pay is in the GS 4 level, but you can advance rapidly, and it tops out at GS 11, GS 12 if you’ve got a degree.

We work 4/10’s (three days off per week) lots of per diem/travel pay. Vacation and sick pay, TSP, union, health care, vision, dental. You will get sick of driving ATV’s, you will get your fill of being alone in the mountains, you will see lot’s of wildlife, you will find the best places to hunt, fish, and camp, you will get some sun on your face, you will get stung by bees, and battle poison oak occasionally.

But you need to be in rucking shape; we don’t hump far in 8 hours, but we do a lot of brush clearing and sometimes a little digging.
*NOT* a Ranger. 1st AD/ 101st ABN/ 41st BDE.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Sounds like a very good place for someone to get their foot in the door. I wish I was younger and lacked the responsibilities I now have.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
NG_11B30
Embryo

Post by NG_11B30 »

In this profession, 40 year olds are mere pups. All the BTDT's are approaching retirements in the next 5 years or so. So there is a big interest in hiring right now.

I'm 38 and my ruck speed is what I consider slow, but these guys think I just FLY up mountains and are often surprised at the loads I carry in my ruck (which I think are not that bad 40 - 50 lbs). Often I carry a Stihl Chainsaw, chain saw chaps, a brush hook, an e-tool, chain saw gas and oil, a tripod, some laths, a hatchet, chow and water, first aid kit, radio, cell phone, signal mirror, compass, GPS, batteries, map, nails, flagging, etc.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

That sounds like about the most fun you can have without a fully automatic weapon 8) :lol:
NG_11B30
Embryo

Post by NG_11B30 »

Its pretty fun if you're into this sort of extreme outdoors stuff. Otherwise it can be a real ball buster. Sometimes you stand at the foot of a great slope knowing that it's going to be 90 degrees plus in 30 minutes and you have at least 6 km to your worksite to begin working.

Last summer I had to climb this slope that was about 3700 ft elevation near the bottom. To get there I had to hump over 2 km of timber slash and dead fall to reach a steep ravine where I had to descend about 1km, cross a creek, to come to the foot of the slope I needed to climb. I had to climb about 2 km up hill to my worksite, the mountainside was composed of loose shale (seemed like one step forward, two steps back) and sparsely covered with oak trees at the bottom but vegetation was scarce (no shade) at the top. 96 degrees that day. That was a gut buster. Thats a typical day in the woods. Some places here there are just no roads, and no budget for air.

Well, if anyone is interested just PM me.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Re: Need a Civilian Job? Especially in northern california.

Post by EvilCouch »

NG_11B30 wrote:If you want to work in ... Washington ... I can tell you how to get on board, but whether or not you do is up to you
Hmmm.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Sounds just like my cup of tea, but I already make really decent $..

Is this for the USGS, BLM or Forest Service?

I have my own fleet of ATV's and ride weekly, so getting paid for it would be really sweet.

Sending you a PM now..
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Black 6
Ranger

Re: Need a Civilian Job? Especially in northern california.

Post by Black 6 »

EvilCouch wrote:
NG_11B30 wrote:If you want to work in ... Washington ... I can tell you how to get on board, but whether or not you do is up to you
Hmmm.
Do it... you know you want to. I did
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Boundary Surveying is great if you like being away from civilization and in the forest/mountains/swamps/ect. I boundary surveyed for a few years when I got out, here in Central Florida. We would cut miles and miles of line through the swamps and through the national forests. NG_11B30 has accurately described the job. You hump and cut lines all day long. I loved it, but the pay was total shit, $7.50/hr. This wasn't for a Gov agency, though.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
NG_11B30
Embryo

Pay

Post by NG_11B30 »

PAY.,

Here are the 2008 Pay Tables for civilian federal employees.

http://www.opm.gov/oca/08tables/html/RUS_h.asp

I cannot tell you what your pay will be if you come work here because I do not know how many years of active duty you have, whether or not you have a degree, and what your locality pay is.

But, typically you would start somewhere around a GS-4 step 5. Look up that figure, and then look up the locality pay for where you live.

http://www.opm.gov/oca/08tables/indexGS.asp

Return to “The Mosh Pit”