My PT schedule good or bad?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
2DenY
Inprocessing

My PT schedule good or bad?

Post by 2DenY »

Good morning Rangers

This is my PT schedule that I follow to prepare. Is it good enough or should I add more running in there?

Monday: A

Tuesday: B

Wednesday: C

Thursday: A

Friday: B

Saturday: A

Sunday: D

A-
(1) 2-3 Mile run

(2) 30 sec max push-ups 10sec rest in between –3sets

(3) 30 sec max sit-ups 10sec rest in between -3sets

(4) 3x12 bench-press

(5) 3x 12 leg-presses

B-
(1) 2-3 Mile Run

(2) Intervals-optional

(3) 30 sec max push-ups 10sec rest in between –3sets

(4) 30 sec max sit-ups 10sec rest in between -3sets

C-
Free Day- I do any workout I want

D- REST

My PT:

102 PU- 2mins
83 SU- 2mins
One mile run- 7:43

I really need to improve running
Jan2009 - Dec2012 1/75
RS 02-11

Group with the motivated
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

rest is the most over looked part of most PT schedules. You might want to think about taking a break, depending on your schedule, every 3-4 days.

I would say you need a lesson in task, condition, and standards.

2-3 mile run???
At what pace? What intensity? On what surface? Indoor or outdoor?

intervals???
What ratio? 3:1 5:1 10:1? Distance? fartlicks or sprint intervals?
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

In my experience, a one mile run time should be at or below a 6minute pace to be on track with what will be expected of you to keep up with at RIP.

Try more hill work for speed.

Are you running till you puke?
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

RTO wrote:Are you running till you puke?
This is a very true statement. When you puke it's time to turn around and head back. Consider it the half way point.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

(5) 3x 12 leg-presses
Squats, dead lifts or power cleans would be of more benefit. Maybe even better since you need to improve your run time would be hill sprints or the sprint work out that is posted in this section somewheres. Regardless, there are probably better things to be doing than leg presses.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

This is a very true statement. When you puke it's time to turn around and head back. Consider it the half way point.
Amen!
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
2DenY
Inprocessing

Thank You Rangers

Post by 2DenY »

Ranger Tenn-RGR, understood.

Ranger bmf175, understood i will add more breaks in my schedule. also i just started running so the 2-3 miles i do is usually one mile at a 8min pace then walk for 5mins then continue to finish the other miles. it is mostly outdoors, with an uneven surface. i know this is not the most effective way, i need to start from point 2-3 then advance to 3-4 and further on ranger bmf175. for the intervals i run as fast as i can for 30 sec then walk for 30sec and so on, for about 10mins.

Ranger RTO, understood i will increase hill running. No Ranger RTO i run until my lungs feel like they are on fire then i run more. i never had to puke, only when i eat a big meal 30mins before running. Is that a sighn that I'm not training hard enough?

Ranger JLTW, Understood.

Ranger Flesh Thorn, understood, i will replace leg presses with squates. For the squats 3x12 mass building? or should i aim for more reps?

Thank you Rangers for your time, i will modify my current schedule and fallow it for about a week before i post any further questions about my schedule.
Jan2009 - Dec2012 1/75
RS 02-11

Group with the motivated
RTO
BANNED

Re: Thank You Rangers

Post by RTO »

2DenY wrote:Ranger Tenn-RGR, understood.

Ranger bmf175, understood i will add more breaks in my schedule. also i just started running so the 2-3 miles i do is usually one mile at a 8min pace then walk for 5mins then continue to finish the other miles. it is mostly outdoors, with an uneven surface. i know this is not the most effective way, i need to start from point 2-3 then advance to 3-4 and further on ranger bmf175. for the intervals i run as fast as i can for 30 sec then walk for 30sec and so on, for about 10mins.

Ranger RTO, understood i will increase hill running. No Ranger RTO i run until my lungs feel like they are on fire then i run more. i never had to puke, only when i eat a big meal 30mins before running. Is that a sign that I'm not training hard enough?

Ranger JLTW, Understood.

Ranger Flesh Thorn, understood, i will replace leg presses with squates. For the squats 3x12 mass building? or should i aim for more reps?

Thank you Rangers for your time, i will modify my current schedule and fallow it for about a week before i post any further questions about my schedule.
Not exactly the kind of puking I am talking about. I am not refering to a big meal/auto-eject/purge kind of puke.

I am refering to a maximum effort/exertion kind of puke.
Have you heard of a 'runners high' before? A sort of feel good euphoria that happens with a sustained running effort? It is similar, except you run harder/faster than that.

I am talking about running much harder and faster than you ever thought possible. Your body will respond by puking. Think of it as a 'Ranger runner high' :D
2DenY
Inprocessing

Post by 2DenY »

Ranger RTO, understood. Is it similar to Intervals? It sounds Brutal so it must help. i will run for the Ranger running high.
Jan2009 - Dec2012 1/75
RS 02-11

Group with the motivated
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Thank You Rangers

Post by Flesh Thorn »

2DenY wrote: Ranger Flesh Thorn, understood, i will replace leg presses with squates. For the squats 3x12 mass building? or should i aim for more reps?
I would not try to do more reps. More sets and fewer reps are even better. My reasoning is that it is very hard to maintain your concentration as you do more reps per set. When your concentration lapse this is when you will hurt yourself. Multiple sets of single reps are great with squats. You will have to decide which are best for you.

There are one leg body weight squats that you can learn to do called pistols which are also excellent, but they take some practice. Google pistol squats and you will find several hits. :wink:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

2DenY wrote:Ranger RTO, understood. Is it similar to Intervals? It sounds Brutal so it must help. i will run for the Ranger running high.
Check your shit before you fucking post from now on.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
2DenY wrote:Ranger RTO, understood. Is it similar to Intervals? It sounds Brutal so it must help. i will run for the Ranger running high.
2DenY,
As an example, when refering to yourself, 'i' is always a capital 'I' :wink:

Attention to detail is perhaps one of the most important lessons you can ever learn as a Ranger.
It can/will save lives someday.
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

One thing I forgot to add. You may want to think about alternating short distance fast pace runs with long distance slow paced runs.

Its easy to get misinformation and think you only need to run fast for a short distance. On this site you hear a lot of people always saying work on sprints and intervals first. I couldnt disagree more. The physiological advantages are greater with endurance training (long distance-slow to medium pace). And once you can knock out a five mile run go back down to two miles at a faster pace. And build back up. My mentees were both knocking out 8 mile runs prior to shipping and they both did very well physically.

I always say work for distance first and then go for speed. And physiologically speaking it is the smarter way of getting into running and improving your running skills.

Also DO NOT stop after the first mile. If you have to slow down that is fine, but stopping is unacceptable from now on.
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

RTO wrote:
Kilted Heathen wrote:
2DenY,
As an example, when refering to yourself, 'i' is always a capital 'I' :wink:

Attention to detail is perhaps one of the most important lessons you can ever learn as a Ranger.
It can/will save lives someday.
He doesn't need a friendly wink. He needs to start fixing his shit.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “About Army Physical Training”