New Stick

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
GSXRanger
Ranger

New Stick

Post by GSXRanger »

Well, new to me anyway. My brother got this in trade for some mechanic work he did... fired about 20 rounds through it, and gave it to me last night.

It's a DPMS M1S, with an 18 inch Fluted SS barrel, and a McCormick Trigger in it. It has a national match bolt, and firing pin, but the glass on it will be replaced, and I just ordered some five round mags, should make a nice little varmint gun.

Best of all, didn't cost me a single dime.

RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

nice piece Ranger, but why is it not on safe? :twisted:
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Rangerguru wrote:nice piece Ranger, but why is it not on safe? :twisted:
My finger is my safety... :P

Actually, the magazine is empty, only inserted it for the picture's sake. The hammer is not cocked, therefore I can not place it on "safe"...

Good eye, though.

I can't wait to see how this thing groups... the trigger is AMAZING!!!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

[quote="GSXRanger
I can't wait to see how this thing groups... the trigger is AMAZING!!![/quote]

Saturday am sounds good...weather looks good...hint, hint, nudge, nudge.
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Oto-Man wrote:[quote="GSXRanger
I can't wait to see how this thing groups... the trigger is AMAZING!!!
Saturday am sounds good...weather looks good...hint, hint, nudge, nudge.[/quote]

Well, the HH6's Parental Units are coming up tonight. Friday, they are going to North Florida to do some duck hunting, but her brother is staying here. We are going out to the range near our house, and smack the bell at 600 yards... he wants to try his stick out to 1000 yards.

We are also doing some handgun shooting as well. I have my G34, and he just bought a G34... actually, Loly and I got it for him for his Birthday / Christmas early present.

I am gonna do the trigger for him this weekend, and then go run the gun in, so we are definitely getting some trigger time... just say the word. You know my number...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

TC204 wrote:Looks nice!

Have you given my Farrell base a new home yet? :wink:
Actually, yes... it is on top of my Savage .308, which is now sitting in the Choate Ultimate Varmint stock, with Farrell rings... all I am waiting on is glass.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
gunsmittys
Paratrooper

Post by gunsmittys »

GSX...it should be a helluva shooter...my DPMS M4 will shoot sub MOA @ 100yds
I am getting older, but refuse to grow up

911th SPS 01/81-10/83
1/94 FA 01/84-05/84--dad died
USMEPCOM 05/84-09/85
18th Abn Cps 10/85-9/87
Still serving today working for the VA
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Re: New Stick

Post by GoldCoast »

GSXRanger wrote:Well, new to me anyway. My brother got this in trade for some mechanic work he did... fired about 20 rounds through it, and gave it to me last night.

It's a DPMS M1S, with an 18 inch Fluted SS barrel, and a McCormick Trigger in it. It has a national match bolt, and firing pin, but the glass on it will be replaced, and I just ordered some five round mags, should make a nice little varmint gun.

Best of all, didn't cost me a single dime.

I put a McCormik drop in on my M-16 in Iraq. I don't know if it was legal, nor did I give a rats ass at the time. You're right - it's a wonderful trigger, but I've found one I like better. The match trigger that Rock River puts out isn't as silky smooth, but has a REALLY short stroke. I prefer it over my Chip McCormik trigger for that reason.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

What would be some recommendations for some good ammo to run in this thing? I have no clue, as to what to start with to gain good accuracy. I have not started handloading yet, but that is on my short list...

What say ye?

I believe, the barrel is a 1 in 10 twist. It's an 18 inch fully fluted target crown barrel, but as for the twist, I don't know for sure. Could be a 1 in 9... ???
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Weapons of War”