66% NYU Students Would Sell Right to Vote for Free Tuition

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RTO
BANNED

66% NYU Students Would Sell Right to Vote for Free Tuition

Post by RTO »

Wednesday, November 14, 2007
FOX News- Sixty-six percent of NYU students would sell their right to vote in the next presidential election in exchange for a year's tuition at the pricey private university, Politico.com reported Tuesday.

According to the report, a survey of 3,000 students conducted by an NYU undergraduate journalism class found that an overwhelming majority of those polled said their right to vote could be for sale; in addition to the 66 percent who said they'd trade their vote for a free year of college, 20 percent said they'd exchange their vote for an Ipod Touch.

Full Story Here...
RTO
BANNED

Re: 66% NYU Students Would Sell Right to Vote for Free Tuiti

Post by RTO »

RTO wrote:Wednesday, November 14, 2007
FOX News- Sixty-six percent of NYU students would sell their right to vote in the next presidential election in exchange for a year's tuition at the pricey private university, Politico.com reported Tuesday.

According to the report, a survey of 3,000 students conducted by an NYU undergraduate journalism class found that an overwhelming majority of those polled said their right to vote could be for sale; in addition to the 66 percent who said they'd trade their vote for a free year of college, 20 percent said they'd exchange their vote for an Ipod Touch.

Full Story Here...
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

This is a real good example of why the right to vote should be tied into some kind of civic service. It should mean more than an IPOD or a year in college
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Uh, So would I.

My candidate of choice (Ron Paul) will not win, of the other choices, I see no "lesser of two evils" They are all equally evil in my book. So yes I would happily sell my vote for a year of free tuition at NYU ($100.000 equivalent).

And those interested in the wisdom of voters or lack of wisdom I would like to recommend two books,
the first is somewhat of an endorsement of collective decision making,
The second is specific to democracy and its voters.

The wisdom of crowds

The Myth of the Rational Voter

Both good reads.
Last edited by DJB on November 18th, 2007, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

I'd be willing to let them permanently sell their right to vote. :twisted:
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I'd give up my right to vote in the next Presidential election if I could kick every one of those brats in the ass.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

..and yet in Myanmar, Pakistan and other places people are willing to risk arrest, prison or worse to protest for the right to vote. Fucking pathetic... :roll:
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:..and yet in Myanmar, Pakistan and other places people are willing to risk arrest, prison or worse to protest for the right to vote. Fucking pathetic... :roll:
Let's don't forget Iraq, where 86% of registered voters turned up at the polls for that country's first ever free election, in spite of very real threats of death, and let's don't forget China either, where the Tiananmen Square protests spread across the country, and where 280+ people eventually forfeited their lives or limbs all for the want of the right to vote.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

hobbit wrote:
The Sleepy Doc wrote:..and yet in Myanmar, Pakistan and other places people are willing to risk arrest, prison or worse to protest for the right to vote. Fucking pathetic... :roll:
Let's don't forget Iraq, where 86% of registered voters turned up at the polls for that country's first ever free election, in spite of very real threats of death, and let's don't forget China either, where the Tiananmen Square protests spread across the country, and where 280+ people eventually forfeited their lives or limbs all for the want of the right to vote.
Even as a kid, that pic of the guy standing up to the T-72s sent chills down my spine. I still can't imagine what it would take to give someone that much resolve for a cause. I have no frame of reference for it.

Even though I bitch about how much I detest Bush, and the system is flawed and blah blah blah.. I still feel that we live in one of the greatest countries. Yeah, we could do better, but we are doing pretty damn good.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I'd sell one of my balls for $10 million; but, I get to pick which one.

Fuck them anyway. If anyone is wondering if 86% turnout for an election is a lot, it's fucking huge.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

bustedkidney wrote: So yes I would happily sell my vote for a year of free tuition at NYU ($100.000 equivalent).
You're telling me a 4 year degree cost $400k?

Might want to check the tuition rates before you sell your right to vote.
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

You're telling me a 4 year degree cost $400k?
Sure it can. But you are right if you are calculating tuition alone at NYU it would be 48,000 (three terms at 16,000). And I would still do it.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

I don't know how much Truth is really in this. But if there is any at all, it is very sickening. As we all know Men and Women of this country have gone to foreign lands, fought, and died for some of these simple rights every human should have if any form of government is in place.

Read this and learn from the obvious and horrible mistake these kids are saying they'd make.

I know Hillary Clinton would gladly give you a million dollars to not vote.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “The Mosh Pit”