Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

GeorgeVstar
Egg

Introduction

Post by GeorgeVstar »

Hello Rangers,
My name is George and my son is currently in Airborne School. He will be starting jump week on Monday. He has loved and embraced everything that has been thrown at him so far. He credits a lot of his determination from what he has learned over the last two years from all of you Rangers. He got smoked quite a bit from all of you at first but learned over time to speak less and listen and read more.

He will more likely be in RIP hold till the beginning of January 2008, and I fear I’m hearing some hesitation in his voice. He is not looking forward to all the down time before RIP starts. He keeps being told by many there that he shouldn’t go to RIP and just stay with Airborne. I keep telling him that he should find some Rangers there and try to talk to them. In all honesty, I think he is afraid of his running times. He excels in all PT but struggles a little in the running. He hurt his groin awhile back and I don’t think it has really healed. He has stated that he does not want to fail and that he could go to RIP later. I know I cannot tell him what to do, but being his dad I don’t want him to look back and regret not completing his dream of becoming a Ranger.

I would appreciate any advice that you may throw my way, which might help my son. Lastly, I want to thank all of you for your services to our Country. It is because of all of you that we have our freedoms!
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome Sir, and thank you for taking the time to inform yourself about what your son will be doing soon. Knowledge is power.

I suggest your son use his time wisely to improve his PT scores. The best way to do that is to keep doing pushups, situps and running as much as possible. There may be some Ranger parents here that may be of more assistance to you.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Welcome here Sir.

A long time at RIP hold might be just what he needs to get healthy and work on his run times. I can remember being at Airborne School staring RIP in the face and being nervous as hell. I admit to wondering if I should stay with the program or find an easier way out. I talked to my mom about one night on the pay phones in front Jump School. What she told me when I shared my fears with her stayed with me for 4 years in Battalion. She said "You can always quit tomorrow".

Truth is, life in a Ranger Battalion isn't for everyone...but there's only one way to find out.
42L5V
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by 42L5V »

Sir,

I applaud you for being a positive reinforcement of values and mental strength for your Warrior. Continue to be a source of strength and reliance for him. There is a famous quote, which I'll paraphrase and bastardize: "Everyone second-guesses themselves - it's when others do so that they begin to lose faith."

God speed.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Without question, I can say that 6 weeks of PT as a RIP hold is what got me in shape for Battalion. Believe me whan I say that if he shows the determination of a lion and gives out 110% effort, they will see this and definitely work with him. . If he is weak in the runs, this is the best time for him to get into shape. If he still fails?..all that can be asked of him is that he does his best.

And welcome to the site..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Welcome to the site.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome Pop!

As a kind and loving father, now is the time to take him under your wing. And in a kind, loving, fatherly voice tell him that if he quits at ANYTHING you are going to fuck him up so bad that his Mother won't recognise him!!!!!!

You can't make his decisions for him, but that should help him along the right path to making his own choices!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Slowpoke wrote:As a kind and loving father, now is the time to take him under your wing. And in a kind, loving, fatherly voice tell him that if he quits at ANYTHING you are going to fuck him up so bad that his Mother won't recognise him!!!!!!

You can't make his decisions for him, but that should help him along the right path to making his own choices!
X2!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Thank you for supporting him, you'll make each other proud.

Losers & weakling love company. Tell the boy to stop listening to the others who havent the guts to try, especially those who already dropped their option40s. He might even have NCOs try to discourage him.
He needs to seek the company of others better motivated & especially to reach down into himself and choke out that little troll voice of doubt.
The hardest thing he'll ever do, after joining up to begin with, will be to report into RIP, after that, the Army is easy :lol:

Also, the rumor mill in airborne school is huge & rampant, the privates will spread about anything, especially the weaklings.

We all had doubts and fears at some point. We're where we are now because of what we did with those feelings.

He can only die once, but quitting lives forever.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome Dad! Thanks for your support and concern for you son.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

I'm a Ranger Dad & went through all his trials & tribulations with him vicariously. Just keep supporting & encouraging & tell him to never quit. I had the edge as I was recently retired from the Army when he enlisted & treated him as just another recruit before he went to MEPS & while a DEP.

Thank you for raising a son who wants to serve his country.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
GeorgeVstar
Egg

Post by GeorgeVstar »

Hello Rangers, Veterans and Ranger Parents,

Thank you for all your excellent advice and information that you have passed my way in the last week.

My son graduated from Airborne school Friday and will be starting RIP hold on Monday the 29th of October. He was first told that he would be in RIP hold till January 2008, but he will get updated on Monday. I find it hard to believe that they will not have a class start in November and finish up before the end of December. Probably all the better for my son, gives him more time to prepare!!

Thank you all for your support and advice!
GeorgeVstar
Egg

Post by GeorgeVstar »

Hello Rangers, Veterans and Ranger Parents,
Just a little follow up on the status of my son. He informed me that he is on RIP hold till November 25th. He will start RIP on November 26th, which will be the last class of the year. Based on what he has shared with me this week, RIP hold has not been too bad. I do not think he has been smoked too much. He informed us that he will be getting a few days off for Thanksgiving, so he will be flying home for some turkey and family time with us!! Then the fun begins for him for three weeks. Every time I speak to him I just keep supporting him and keep telling him that he has had this dream for a many years and it is getting closer to fruition. I know he can do it as long as he gives it his all!

I wanted to thank the Rangers that have sent me PM’s; it has meant a lot to me and my Wife. The support and advice has been incredible! You are all an incredible group of Men!!

Thank you for all you do.
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

GeorgeVstar wrote:Hello Rangers, Veterans and Ranger Parents,
Just a little follow up on the status of my son. He informed me that he is on RIP hold till November 25th. He will start RIP on November 26th, which will be the last class of the year. Based on what he has shared with me this week, RIP hold has not been too bad. I do not think he has been smoked too much. He informed us that he will be getting a few days off for Thanksgiving, so he will be flying home for some turkey and family time with us!! Then the fun begins for him for three weeks. Every time I speak to him I just keep supporting him and keep telling him that he has had this dream for a many years and it is getting closer to fruition. I know he can do it as long as he gives it his all!

I wanted to thank the Rangers that have sent me PM’s; it has meant a lot to me and my Wife. The support and advice has been incredible! You are all an incredible group of Men!!

Thank you for all you do.
Sir,

If I may, I'd like to make a small recomendation:

As I made bold above, he'll be coming home right before he starts RIP, and then "the fun begins". I don't know how long he'll be home for, but remember that one of his first tasks in RIP is the APFT. This may not be a problem, but after a weekend getting fat off of Turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes, people generally don't do as well as they'd like to. I've seen it here with my students at UT (it took me over a year to convince my COC that we needed to change our record APFT to before Thanksgiving instead of right after it).

You'd do well to make a strong effort to keep him focussed, hydrated, and supervise some PT while he's home. If I'm not mistaken, this will be his first time home since he left? If so that only strengthens my point. I've got some ideas on how to make this happen, if you need any help send me a PM.

But I can't stress enough that going balls to the wall right after a weekend of food, beer, women, and fun is pretty tough. But not a problem if your head's in the right place.

rico
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace

Return to “Introduction Archive”