The American Legion

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

91W wrote:I am 30 and I was a member until this came out.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... r_service/

I will not stand for this kinda shit and will not renew my membership.
UNREAL.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Silverback wrote:I think all these organizations are crooked. They participate in waiverable standards in order to fill their coffers. The fact is you can't get within 10 feet of any Politician without needing a shower.
When I was down in Palo Alto I volunteered as a DAV van driver three days a week. We picked up disabled veterans and took them to medical appointments, helped them do their shopping, etc. DAV lawyers (all volunteers) will act as power of attorney for disabled vets if they so choose. The DAV operates hundreds of these vans around the country. The organization's primary source of income is annual or lifetime dues, a once-a-year raffle, and benefaction. I don't recall ever being offered a bribe or offering anyone else a bribe in the 35 years I've been a lifetime member. Two of our seriously wounded L Company vets went on to become high ranking officers within the DAV. I honestly hope you get back from the box in one piece, but if you don't, I'm sure we'll extend a helping (rather than "open") hand to you too.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

hobbit wrote:
Silverback wrote:I think all these organizations are crooked. They participate in waiverable standards in order to fill their coffers. The fact is you can't get within 10 feet of any Politician without needing a shower.
When I was down in Palo Alto I volunteered as a DAV van driver three days a week. We picked up disabled veterans and took them to medical appointments, helped them do their shopping, etc. DAV lawyers (all volunteers) will act as power of attorney for disabled vets if they so choose. The DAV operates hundreds of these vans around the country. The organization's primary source of income is annual or lifetime dues, a once-a-year raffle, and benefaction. I don't recall ever being offered a bribe or offering anyone else a bribe in the 35 years I've been a lifetime member. Two of our seriously wounded L Company vets went on to become high ranking officers within the DAV. I honestly hope you get back from the box in one piece, but if you don't, I'm sure we'll extend a helping (rather than "open") hand to you too.
I'd have to agree with hobbit about the DAV. At my local VA Hosp (Brooklyn, NY) there are at least 4 DAV Vans operating of of there, One donated by my chapter (Halloran, DAV S.I.). Staffed by Volunteers and here in NY (the VA rules) are now strigent requirements that the VA does not insure (no insurance) these vehicles. A Hospital volunteer would have to use his own personal insurance in order to operate these vehicles (no shit!) at no cost (to the veteran that takes these rides). Of course each chapter raises money through various programs & donations.

I like hobbit in all my years belonging to the various vet groups have never seen or witnessed any bribery of any sort happening.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

EvilCouch wrote:
91W wrote:I am 30 and I was a member until this came out.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... r_service/

I will not stand for this kinda shit and will not renew my membership.
What the fuck? How did he not get hemmed up for that shit?

That'd be like me calling myself a WWII vet, because my grandfathers were over there.
What even pissed me off more, Ranger, was that the AL issued a statement backing up the POS. I looked for it but was unable to find it. I have a hard copy somewhere and will scan it when I find it.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

BTW Morin is WRONG to continue his belligerent stance in insisting he is a "Vietnam veteran". He IS NOT a Vietnam veteran, and all the whimsical back sliding and imaginary syntax in the world isn't going to change that fact. He should step down and the American Legion should appoint a new commander until elections can be held. When you get right down to it, Morin could probably be indicted and prosecuted on felony charges under the Stolen Valor statute. The American Legion needs to get rid of him, the quicker the better.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

hobbit wrote:
What is the DAV and how is it associated with the American Legion?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Silverback wrote:
hobbit wrote:
You're the one using collective nouns my friend. Didn't you say a few posts ago that you thought "all these groups are crooked"? Now the DAV has no relevance to this thread? You plead ignorance of what the DAV is? Walk outside the perimeter there without your body armor and start screaming some obscenity about Allah eating ham sandwiches or porking porkers and such. After you get your ass shot a few times (like some of the rest of us did in our wars), well then, you'll learn everything you ever wanted to know about the DAV....if you survive that is.

As to the American Legion, I've already stated my opinion on that situation.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

hobbit wrote:
Silverback wrote:
hobbit wrote: When I was down in Palo Alto I volunteered as a DAV van driver three days a week. We picked up disabled veterans and took them to medical appointments, helped them do their shopping, etc. DAV lawyers (all volunteers) will act as power of attorney for disabled vets if they so choose. The DAV operates hundreds of these vans around the country. The organization's primary source of income is annual or lifetime dues, a once-a-year raffle, and benefaction. I don't recall ever being offered a bribe or offering anyone else a bribe in the 35 years I've been a lifetime member. Two of our seriously wounded L Company vets went on to become high ranking officers within the DAV. I honestly hope you get back from the box in one piece, but if you don't, I'm sure we'll extend a helping (rather than "open") hand to you too.
You're the one using collective nouns my friend. Didn't you say a few posts ago that you thought "all these groups are crooked"? Now the DAV has no relevance to this thread? You plead ignorance of what the DAV is? Walk outside the perimeter there without your body armor and start screaming some obscenity about Allah eating ham sandwiches or porking porkers and such. After you get your ass shot a few times (like some of the rest of us did in our wars), well then, you'll learn everything you ever wanted to know about the DAV....if you survive that is.
You must've misread my request for information. I was asking primarily what the DAV is.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Silverback wrote:You must've misread my request for information. I was asking primarily what the DAV is.
The Danish American Ventriloquist's Association
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

hobbit wrote:
Silverback wrote:You must've misread my request for information. I was asking primarily what the DAV is.
The Danish American Ventriloquist's Association
Oh...that makes it so much clearer. :?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

Its been shown that these organizations hold mock elections for the lower positions such as post commander and the higher up chumps can be considered politicians,
but I think the good out weighs the bad with the VFW/ American Legion. They do alot for veterans quality of life. I have been thinking about joining the VFW for years now, but I always find myself moving every year or two.
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
gpatmac
Ranger

Post by gpatmac »

Under 40. Member off and on of the Legion and VFW since 1990. Renewed back in 2004 in order to see if some of them might be of some help for recruiting, but essentially the biggest help was we got to use their facilities for free when we needed someplace to train recruiters or future soldiers.

Just joined the AMVETS, though, because they've got the only Texas Holdem in town (we play for prizes not money.....of course :wink: )
4-17IN, 7th ID(L) - 1987-1991;2/327IN, 101st ID - 1997-2001; 2-5IN, 25th ID(L) - 2000-2004
Ranger Class 3/97,4/97,5/97(Grad)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”