New Ranger hopeful

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

3 posts in 10 months - saying what you were gonna do, a polite thank you, and confirmation that you did, indeed get your contract. This has to be a record, considering some of the intros that have come in the past week.

Good luck, young man - let nothing stand between you and your goals. Keep your nose clean for the rest of the school year, and keep us posted on your progress. Do some PT.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Hello, and welcome to ArmyRanger.com.

Like mt fellow Rangers have stated, don't worry about your physical size. When I was in Batt., the big guys always had problems with long road marches. It's the mental mind set and the attitude of " NEVER QUIT " that will you earn you the right to stand among warriors.

Keep your nose clean ( no red and blue lights in rear view mirror young man ) and run !

When your done with that.............RUN SOME MORE !

Now, go run some MORE !
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Conratulations for enlisting and obtaining an Option 40 contract. Now go forth and never, ever quit.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Damn, three posts in ten months. Hopefully you have been reading a lot. Well, now that you got what you asked for -- do well in training. PT, run, PT, run and then run some more. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome back young man. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, with a good head on your shoulders.

I'm curious though, how hard have you been Pt'ing and how much has it improved since last Feb?

Post your results here.

PU
SU
2M Run and Pull-ups
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Welcome.

Size don't mean shit. I was rather large for a Ranger,6'3" 225lbs. One of the biggest studs, in my oppinion, was this little fucker from 3rd plt that was a fellow Pig Handler. When we jumped, his weapons case dragged the fucking floor. That little dude could ruck with the best of em.

Drive on young man!!!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Congratulations! Keep on driving!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
prunus_cerasus
Embryo

It's bad

Post by prunus_cerasus »

Ranger Cams my PT is the same as it was last time I posted except my run time is slower, which means:

PU:60
SU:60
2 Mile Run: 16 minutes

I stopped working out from August 1st - September 10th (+-3 days) and it ended up costing me (I stopped and just partied-hardy and enjoyed my final time before I enlisted). When I started getting back into shape around the 10th and could only do 40 pushups I realized I made a big mistake. I've gotten back up to my base fitness level though and now fun-time is over and I have to get serious. My current PT is as follows:

1 set 125 flutterkicks everyday
50 situps everyday
100 pushups in 3 sets every other day
75 squats every other day
2 mile run every other day (not the same day as the squats)
Bench pressing 60lbs 3 sets of 25 will occasionally replace my pushups, I'm looking to move up to 4 sets

My plan is to stick with this and add 10 pushups, 10 flutterkicks, and 10 squats a week until my progress begins slowing, at which point I'll increase the difficulty at a lower rate. Once I'm running 2 miles in less than 14 minutes I'll probly move up to 3 miles (I run at my school on the grass at night, we have a huge field facility out back that all the teams play on). Also as soon as I get my AKO account information I'll be starting on that in my free time. I feel like shit for being in worse shape now than I was that long ago, but oh well all I can do to make the feeling go away is work harder.

I've also grown, I'm now 5'10 1/2" and 148lbs and I still feel like I'm growing (tired, napping once in a while, eating like a horse, zits if I forget to wash my face at night, my glasses prescription is too weak for me meaning my vision has grown worse which happens quicker when I'm growing).

I'm going to go PT now.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

If you had been working out and Pt'ing steadily since your post of last Jan/Feb, taking one month off would not have affected you that much, therefore I don't think you're being completely honest with me/us. Are you? :wink:

You slacked off all summer long, not just one month. Be honest.

I can understand it, you're young, chasing girls and parties. What is it that you want out of life though?

You'll get what you work for though, you don't work hard, you'll fail and waste a slot, that's not fair to some other young kid that HAS been working hard and didn't get a slot because they were already taken. Get your shit together, get laid, and get serious again.

You'll need to get your 2M's down under 12 minutes, work on your pull-ups too, they'll kick your ass if you can't do at least ten easy ones. Your age you should be knocking out 20-25 easy ones.

So far you are a no-go. Slacker. Beat your face.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

RGR Pete
Ranger

Post by RGR Pete »

16 minutes is very bad, hopefully basic will improve that time. Quit jogging and start running(running is not comfortable IE... at the verg of pukeing) Good luck
USMC-87 to 91
Bco 1/75 94-97
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I'd recommend that you not work on just getting your run time down to sub 14s before you start running longer. You need to mix it up. Running longer (3-5 miles) twice a week at about 80% effort will give you the legs to run faster. Consider doing sprint workouts (called fartleks). Work your hamstrings as well to be able to maintain a good stride when your legs get tired. Every run you do, you should try to have a negative split, for example if you're running 4 miles, run the last two miles faster than the first two (which doesn't mean slack off on the first two). I don't mean a second or two faster, you should be able to chop off AT LEAST 15 seconds per mile, for a :30 negative split for a 4 mile run.

I've always had to work hard to have a good run time, it just doesn't come natural to me. The fastest 2 mile time I've ever had was when I was training to run a half-marathon, and not doing any sprint work or hard running.

Some of the best comprehensive running programs can be found at runnersworld.com Take a look at the 5K programs, since your first goal is to max your APFT. Your second goal is the 5 mile distance, which I think you'd want to be able to average 7 minutes per mile. Good luck.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
prunus_cerasus
Embryo

Thanks.

Post by prunus_cerasus »

Thank you for all your help Rangers, and Ranger Cams I was not lying I promise, it was the very first day I started PT again after approx. 40 days off and I went for my max pushups in 2 minutes, after 40 my muscles quit on me and my shoulders were sore (not muscle fatigue, just pain).

2 days later I did my max in 3 30 second sets with 30 seconds in-between them and got 60 (and felt really dizzy).

Since then I've improved a decent amount.

I will report back in 1 month with my PT scores to show you Rangers my progress.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Thanks.

Post by cams »

my muscles quit on me and my shoulders were sore (not muscle fatigue, just pain).
Get used to it. You don't know what pain is yet. It's muscle Failure, never say or even think quit.
2 days later I did my max in 3 30 second sets with 30 seconds in-between them and got 60 (and felt really dizzy).
I don't know what type of routine that is but it doesn't sound too effective, follow the APFT guidelines for starters, then push it every day.
Breathe. Make sure you breathe properly when doing so. If you're still getting dizzy, or whining about the pain, you'll quit. No complaints, no whining, no quitting. They are going to smoke your bags off son, you have to be able to take the pain, physically and mentally, start telling yourself that you feel nothing. When it hurts, everyone else is hurting too, get strength from that, and be the one NOT to fall-out. If you start to fall out of a run, and begin walking with your hands on your hips, they will destroy you. Their whole goal is to make you quit before you get to Batt. to see who has it, or who doesn't have it. Remember this: If you can still walk, then you can STILL run, it's in your head. When you can't run anymore you will fall over and die, it's that simple. Puke, shit, shutdown, but don't stop running until the formation stops running.
I will report back in 1 month with my PT scores to show you Rangers my progress.
Don't forget your pull-ups. If you can't do pull-ups or fall out of the 5 mile bullet runs, you will be sent packing.

Good luck. Get to work.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Welcome and Good luck.

Try running like this:

Run 400 meters as fast as you can (puke)
Rest the amount of time it took you to run (ie 60 seconds)

Repeat at least 8 times. (puke)

Run for 5 miles at a 8 minute pace to cool down.

Oh, I got 2 words for being short: "Little Hunter" my Ranger Buddy is a stud. He was 5 foot 5 (maybe) and of course got put into weapons platoon humping the mortars. We may seem dumb with the way we do things, but in the long run, it's for the greater good.

Sooner or later you'll understand.

RLTW!
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “Introduction Archive”