Grappling

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

RBL_M1A2Tanker wrote:Have all your gear, soft cap for cover (I seriously doubt a kevlar would allow a paintball mask to fit properly) and maybe some gloves.
They do, actually. We were trying out simunitions when I was in Battalion and a lot of us were wearing paintball masks.

They're only about as bulky as a pair of SWD goggles, or bolle googles, plus the face guard, which doesn't get in the way of a K-pot.

I don't think that any paintball range would let a unit train with their equipment, because I can pretty much guarantee you that at least one man per squad is going to break one of the range's markers.

And the big issue with simunitions or paintballs is that if you're wearing gear and you take a shot on the gear, you're not going to feel it. Granted, if someone shoots you in the chest plate, you're probably going to be fine, but there's some crucial feedback that's missing until after a shoot out.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

Ah, ok. I stand corrected. Shows how little I knew. :oops:

I figured just the thump of the paintball round hitting would get your attention, but in retrospect...maybe, maybe not. Most likely not depending on the situation.

I honestly have never seen simunitions, or heard of them beyond hoffmans (which, being made of small bits of TNT...yea, not a good idea to let Private Snuffy handle). Granted I left active duty back in 2000, but I'd have thought there would be more talk of them by now. Are they along the same lines as paintballs?
EvilCouch wrote: "CDAT? Coffin of Death, with A Turret?"

RBL_M1A2Tanker wrote: "I like that...when I die I want to have a turret on the coffin. I want people to trip over my big gun when I'm buried...till the grounds keepers get tired of mowing around it and cut it off with a hacksaw..."

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
A Co 1-8 Cav, 1st Cav 98-00
D Co 2/334/9/84th Inf Div (IT) 00-05
ETSed Sept 05
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

The simunitions that are in the Army inventory are plastic, paint-filled 9mm rounds. There are replacement M-4 upper recievers that make the M-4 chamber 9mm rounds so that they can be used in training.

Another unfortunate drawback with these is that like most 9mm weapons, they aren't worth shit past about 50m.
World's worst webcomic
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Dude, enlist in the army, go to infantry basic, airborne, spend a few soul crushing weeks in RIP, spend a soul crushing year in battalion as a private, go to hooah school (endure some more suck), somewhere in there make a few trips overseas (endure some more suck) and some how manage to come with the same number of holes you left with. Now do a few more suck schools to include the combatives program, while enduring some more body and soul crushing years in Battalion. Don't forget to break several bones somewhere during this process have at least one hospital stay and a few dead friends. At some point during this or maybe in a second career as a LEO, FED or as a contractor get some people to try to hit you with a stick and stab you FOR REAL, preferably several times when you're so tired, wet and miserable that you could give a rats ass about your mission anymore.

After you do that, then you'll be my Ranger buddy and you can come into my house and shit on my floor all you want. Until then I really tired of you running your suck about how bad ass you and your dojo are. :roll: The constant name dropping is kind of cute though, ever tell ya about the time I met Rick the Nature Boy Flair :roll:
Last edited by Ndog275 on August 5th, 2006, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Useaspoon wrote:
EvilCouch wrote:Of those MMA fighters, my favorite has to be Vitor Belfre, and those two from the Ultimate Fighter, Stephan and Forrest. They are submission fighters who will throw dukes if that what it takes.
EvilCouch wrote:Useaspoon... Im wondering what these reports were that you were talking about, the ones about Rare Hand-to-hand engagements. Im wondering because its quite contrary to what I experianced in my service. Yes I know you are thirty+, and some badass in your Dojo. But you have yet to ruck up, so you are still a snotnosed showershoe in my book
Pay the fuck attention to who you're quoting, because I didn't say any of that shit.

Don't put words in my fucking mouth.
World's worst webcomic
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Here are some points to Useaspoon:

1. If you can't take contortions of your name...don't join the military. Your Drill Sergeants will find ones you never thought possible. In addition, when creating internet handles it is highly advisable to make word divisions obvious.

2. I stand by all my words that you quoted. (As to the sentence you did not include, I've taken mental notes Ranger EvilCouch's earlier response to Ranger Horned Toad.) To bring further clarity:

a. A bum rush is best as a surprise attack, that is, the "bum" doesn't suspect you will attack him. A bum rush is no different than a wrestler "shooting" for you (which, as you already noted, wrestlers do). A bum rush can be stepped around, or it can me minimized by throwing the legs back. A few people can even counter mountain goat style (stance, bone density permitting).

b. "Where?", "When?", "Who?", and "Why?" are of the utmost important when analyzing anything, especially anything that comes off the internet. The videos in the set I commented on where sadly lacking in these. For the first two videos, this is of even higher importance, as their opening "techniques" showed little to no skill. So, who are those opponents? What specific school(s) did they train at? When did least challenge matches occur? What lessons do the opponents say they learned from the match? Et cetera. Being a "black belt" doesn't neccessarily mean anything as to fighting ability.

3. This was one of the first thread I examine after joining this site. (Look at my joined date, compare with how many posts existed before I joined.) I've kept up over time, and have kept my mouth shut in it until I felt I had something worthy to add. There is no possibility of building a reputation (at least a "good" reputation in this thread). The thread may be labeled "Grappling", but is as much about how should military combatives (which fits mostly in the grappling category) be revised.

Useaspoon wrote:Good luck there. I don't think any kind of training is going to fully prepare you for someone jumping you from concealment.
Yet that is a situation, and a likely one at that, that we need to train soldiers for.

5. Chokes are useful, if you can complete them before his buddy arrives. Simply put, combat methodology is teamwork.

6. How much balance drinking impairs depends on the individual and amount of consumption. Some varieties of martial arts had poor footing in mind when they were developed.

7. I will not groin "pinch"...I will grab for the scrotum and the testes it contains, crush, twist, and pull. If my opponent does not let go, I won't. I realized this is much more effective when an opponent is in soft clothing, but it is still in my tool box.

Useaspoon wrote:Vitors natural athleticism made him a very tough opponent. But you know what his weakness was? His mind. He is weak mentally.
If there is anyone who knows mental toughness, it's a U.S. Army Airborne Ranger! Hoo-ah! You are on soft soil here. You have no right to bring up mental toughness in any capacity to any Veteran until you at least complete Basic Training. After that, you gain a right to inquire about mental toughness, and how to improve your own.

9. I agree with Ranger Ndog275's assessment (from your intro thread).

10. I need a drink...
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Borebrush...note that you half-accidently quoted me because Spoonboy wasn't using the BB Code properly when he quoted me. Compare back to page 6.

Yours should probably be
Useaspoon wrote:....
CloakAndDagger wrote:Another combat concern is what changes when you put on a combat boots, a 30 lb...
<Comment here>

No offense taken. 8)
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

borebrush wrote:Hey Useaspoon, let off of the PTT key every so often. <break> You are hotmiking bad, over.
And here I thought he just had diarrhea of the mouth.
Last edited by FireFinder on August 6th, 2006, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Useaspoon wrote:Just because everyone LOVES videos:

Karo. He brings the Judo to UFC. And he isn't above using a bum rush.

Just Judo. But I love the soundtrack. Some of these would be KO's if it wasn't matted.

Minotauro started in Judo but went BJJ and then MMA. He is the consumate grappler. And this match is a perfect example of what a striker v grappler usually ends up with.

A reminder of what most fights look like:

If you are not familiar with Kimbo Slice. I suggest you become familiar. ALL DAY! He has developed a cult following.

Kimbo wants his bread.

Fighting can be funny.

Here is a streetfight that just makes you laugh out loud. Don't care who you are. Suckerpunching trumps all.

Brutality.

And I leave you with the most hideously un-PC fight of all time. Girl v guy, sticks, eyegouging, biting. Everything.
Knock em out for knowing how to use a computer better than me!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
CrashKILL
Ranger

Post by CrashKILL »

I just read a few posts on the last page. This thread is fucking gay.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

2/75 99-03
Class 8-00

Return to “Close Combat”