91W Deps a question

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
91W
USAR

91W Deps a question

Post by 91W »

Ok,

If you do a little research this will be easy. It is all about airway anatomy and the anatomy of the circulatory system.

First a little info. The atmosphere has an average of 22% O2, this is what you inhale when you take a breath. When you exhale there is aproximatly 16% O2. So what path does that 6% of O2 the body uses take to go full circle and come out as CO2.

Start at the mouth and nose at either the Oral or Nasal Pharynx through the lungs to the heart around the body. Include the "semi Lunar valves and the "Cuspid" valves and all the vessels.

For all other non-medical types if you want to give it a stab go for it. This is the one test that most people fail and only for lack of studying. And yes Ranger Luna it is alot of big words.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

OK , no takers? I have to pour some concrete this morning then I will post an answer this afternoon.

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
Dean
Inprocessing

Post by Dean »

Oxygen inhaled either through the mouth or the nose enters either the naso or oro pharynx and then to the larygeno pharynx. Onto the larynx --> trachea -->glottis --> bronchial tubes --> and alveoli where oxygen and CO2 are exchanged. From the capillaries in the lungs, the oxygen rich blood travels from the pulmonary veins into the left atrium through the mitral valve and into the left ventricle. It is then pumped through the aortic valve into the aorta to the rest of the body for delivery of O2 and exchange of waste materials and CO2. Returning to the heart from veins to the superior and inferior vena cava, blood enters the right atrium through pulmonic valve to the pulmonary artery back to the lungs where the cycle completes.
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Do you want us to show the organic chemistry of the Krebs cycle in the produciton of CO2 like this...

As well as the reduction of Oxygen in the electron transport chain like this...

Or is the assignment geared more twards the binding of oxygen to hemoglobin and the confirmation change which takes place like this...

and its disasociation curve...

I am confused on this assignment could you please square my shit away.
:twisted: :D :lol: :lol:
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

Dean wrote:Oxygen inhaled either through the mouth or the nose enters either the naso or oro pharynx and then to the larygeno pharynx. Onto the larynx --> trachea -->glottis --> bronchial tubes --> and alveoli where oxygen and CO2 are exchanged. From the capillaries in the lungs, the oxygen rich blood travels from the pulmonary veins into the left atrium through the mitral valve and into the left ventricle. It is then pumped through the aortic valve into the aorta to the rest of the body for delivery of O2 and exchange of waste materials and CO2. Returning to the heart from veins to the superior and inferior vena cava, blood enters the right atrium through pulmonic valve to the pulmonary artery back to the lungs where the cycle completes.
Excellant job for a start

Here goes.

You inhale air goes through the Oral or Nasal Pharnyx, Throught the Pharynx pat the Eppiglotis. Throught the Larynx into the Trachea. It then passes to the Corina, which is where the left and right Mainstream Bronchi branch to there respective lungs. From there to the Bronchiols and into the Alveoli, which are elastic like sacs the are surrounded by the Pulmonary Capilaries. This is where the exchange of gasses takes place. From there O2 is in the blood stream. Travels to the heart via the Pulmonary Veins, which are the only Veins to carry O2 enriched blood, to the Left Atruim. Through the Bicuspid Valve to the Left Ventrical. When the Left Ventrical contracts the blood is pushed throught the Aortic Semi-Lunar Valve to the Aorta. From there to Arteries, then Artioles, then Capillaries. That is where the process occures of exchange of O2 for CO2 and waste products. Into Veinioles, Veins, Superior and Inferior Vena Cava to the Right Atrium. Through the Tri-Cuspid Valve to the Right Ventrical. Ventrical contracts pushed through the Semi-Lunar Pulmonary Valve into the Pulmonary Arteries, The only Arteries to carry O2 depleted blood, To the lungs and out.

That pathway is a foundation to understanding anatomy and even in my opinion to understanding Shock.

Bonus ?

The epiglottis is of concern in a sick child for what reason and what is the condition and signs and symptoms.

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I think Bustedkidney is talking about sex.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

bustedkidney wrote:Do you want us to show the organic chemistry of the Krebs cycle in the produciton of CO2 like this...

As well as the reduction of Oxygen in the electron transport chain like this...

Or is the assignment geared more twards the binding of oxygen to hemoglobin and the confirmation change which takes place like this...

and its disasociation curve...

I am confused on this assignment could you please square my shit away.
:twisted: :D :lol: :lol:
Ranger Bustedkidney I passed that test but would have to read again to explain the Kreb's Cycle, LOL. And that is far more in depth than I will ever learn unless I get my PA. That shit really sucks.

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
Dean
Inprocessing

Post by Dean »

91W wrote:
Bonus ?

The epiglottis is of concern in a sick child for what reason and what is the condition and signs and symptoms.
Epiglottitis is the inflammation of the epiglottis and is of great concern for a child because of its rapid onset which can obstruct breathing. Symptoms include difficult or noisy breathing (stridor), a high fever, drooling and difficulty swallowing liquids, a muffled voice and difficulty lying down. Epiglottitis usually follows an upper respiratory infection.
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

Dean wrote:
91W wrote:
Bonus ?

Epiglottitis is the inflammation of the epiglottis and is of great concern for a child because of its rapid onset which can obstruct breathing. Symptoms include difficult or noisy breathing (stridor), a high fever, drooling and difficulty swallowing liquids, a muffled voice and difficulty lying down. Epiglottitis usually follows an upper respiratory infection.
Outfuckinstanding, Do you have any prior medical training?

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I thought that shit was a map of boston. :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Dean
Inprocessing

Post by Dean »

91W wrote:
Only the block of instruction taught in BCT. Other than that, negative. Although I was in a CSH for 2-years, the work I was doing there was in the S1 shop as an unofficial 42L.
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

Dean wrote:
91W wrote:
Only the block of instruction taught in BCT. Other than that, negative. Although I was in a CSH for 2-years, the work I was doing there was in the S1 shop as an unofficial 42L.
You show potential keep it up.

If you have a pt with Epiglottitus it is very important to keep the child calm and be very gentle with movements. Allow the child to remain sitting up in as close to the tripod position as possible. If they get irritated and begine to cry or cough uncontrollable the Epiglottis can completly obstruct the opening to the airway. Treatment would be O2, if tolerated, and transport to the closest facility. I have only seen this once but it gives you a pucker factor that is almost unmatched. I do not want to cric a kid and pray I never have to.

Dealing with the Airway what would cause pink frothy sputum with severe dypsnea (difficult breathing)?

If you want a huge head start start learning the bones of the body and basic anatomy. Simple medical terminology is also a good thing to know going into a NREMT class. If Ft Sam is as bad as it was when I was there you are fed the info very fast. If you fall behind you are screwed.

Here is a link for you. This Text is a good one but not the only out there.

http://www.emtb.com/9e/

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
Phulano
Tadpole

Post by Phulano »

pulmonary edema

edit: as far as epiglottitis - dont put shit in their mouths. not even tongue depressors. if you gotta intubate remember that youre going to have one shot at best. miss and youre gonna end up cric'in em!

or so they say :shock:

Return to “Medical Issues”