Newts - Efforts to Join the Army/Rangers and Workout Plans

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
adam26
Embryo

Post by adam26 »

Here's what I'm doing currently:

Monday: Weight workout, upper body; 20 minute run
Tuesday: At least 200 pushups/situps throughout the day. First set of each excersize is a 2 min max. test like a test.
Wednesday: Weight workout, lower body; 30 minute run
Thursday: Same as tuesday
Friday: Weight workout, upper body; timed 2-mile run
Saturday: Tuesday/Thursday workout
Sunday: Tuesday/Thursday workout

Doing this workout, I've managed to get my AFPT numbers to 87 pushups (used to think I could do more, but then I slowed down and concentrated on form), 90 situps, and 14:34 for 2 miles. I would like to improve everywhere, especially in the 2-mile (trying for low 13 minute-high 12 minute range by the time I ship on May 25). I've decided to add runs on saturday and sunday and add sprints to the monday and wednesday runs after I pay a visit to the store to get some inserts for my pronated ankles (I'd say if anything is holding me back, it's my shins, that's why I don't run on the weekends right now.)
DEP
Ship date: 20060525

"Never quit."
RPD
Ranger

Post by RPD »

Ranger Spartan,

My workout currently consists of weights on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Before my Wednesday workout I usually do pushups and situps until muscle failure, to get an idea of my ability and if I'm improving or not. As soon as the fracture in my shine heals I will be back and running again with the track team, which is usually a couple miles every other day, if not every day. Right now I'm concentrating on boosting my situps and pushups while I can't run. (my best 2 mile is usually mid 13s, so I'm not too worried that I have to rest for a while.)

Bench Press: 4 x 10 ; 150lbs
French Curls: 4 x 10 ; 60 lbs
Incline Bench: 4 x 10 ; 115 lbs
Cruches/hanging knee raises: 10 x 20
(sets x repititions ; weight)

I'm obviously trying to isolate the muscle groups involved in pushups and situps. The ab workout varies, but is usually about 150-200 repititions. I can't wait to start running again...
Bae
Embryo

Post by Bae »

Ranger Spartan my work out plan is.

40 push up's 5 reps
80 sit up's 5 reps
1/2 mile warm up run on the treadmill
Than 3 1/2 mile run around my neighborhood
Then I take a 5 minute break and a cool down run of a mile
Some time I run home from school that about 2 mile or a 1 1/2 mile run
Atrax

Post by Atrax »

Ranger Spartan:

As of now I am enrolled in college which precludes my enlisting, but I plan on becoming a Ranger whether in the short or long term. Last ASVAB was in high school, scored 77. No substantial discussion with a recruiter as of yet.

My current workouts are as follows:
Monday: 440 yard sprint x4. Pushups to failure(45-52). 50 crucnhes.
Tuesday: Sit-ups to failure (67). 100+ crucnhes. Flutter kicks.
Wednesday: Same as Monday, but 2-mile run, timed. (15:00 at last count)
Thurs: Same as Tuesday.
Friday: Same as MW, but long slow run of about 5 miles.

Coming off a knee injury, so i've been trying to ease back into things.
freshman
Embryo

Post by freshman »

I am mainly intrested in an 18x contract but I have thought of the option 40 as another route.

I have spoken with a SF veteran about the 18x contract.

I seem to be the only one of my high school who has ambitions of joining the Army when we talk about vocations everyone has plans of what college and jobs they get to me..."im intrested in joining the army with an 18x contract"...the all seem puzzled, him the army? I believe the reason is because my school is a public school for nerds (we must take a test to get into a public school) sorry for the life story I decieded a background story was needed.

Tuesdays:

55 push ups- 2 mins
90 sit ups- 2 mins
15:00 2 mile run

Thursdays:

15 palms away from me pull ups
25 dips
7:00 one mile run

Saturdays:

35 lbs 3 miles 34:30 mins rucking

I shall improve

-freshman
"great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

~Albert Einstein

"it is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

~Mark Twain
Deus Ex Machina.
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Deus Ex Machina. »

Ranger Spartan,

I plan on becoming an Army Ranger although I haven't taken the ASVAB yet, and here is my current workout schedule.

12:00pm
a) Run 4-5 miles a day.
b) Sprints.

3:00
a)Knuckle Conditioning <Most would say that this is useless but I find that it mentally toughens me up quiet alot>
b) Swimming.
c) Weightlifting.

6:00
a) 40 pushups
b) 60 situps.

6:30
a) 40 pushups.
b) 60 crunches. I continue 'greasing the groove' until 10:00.

10:00
a) 6 pullups.
b) 6 chinups. I continue doing this until my watche reaches 12:00 AM.

I do this everyday except Saturday, and Sunday. I use these days to allow my muscles to grow, and recharge.
Aco, 1/75.
brian
Embryo

Post by brian »

I'm only 16 so i havn't actually visited a recruiter, but i did talk to one when they came over to visit my step-brother.

The workouts usually go like this:

Mon: bench 3x5 195lbs
pushups 20x3(everyday)
elevated p-ups 20x5(everyday)
Pull ups 15x4(everyday)
chin ups 15x4(everyday)
3x 5min. flutter kicks

Tues: 3 mile run in 27+- min(morning)
squat 5x3 at 225lbs.
3x 5min. flutter kicks
3 mile run in 27+- min(night)

Wed: Same as Mon.

Thurs: Same as Tues.

Fri: Same as Mon.

Sat/Sun: I usually rest or I do I might have a rugby game, which is about 1 hour of running/jogging.

Most of my workouts like the bench and pushups are done when I do my workouts with my football team, but the other stuff is done on my own. I also do my runs either with the cross country team at my school or with one of my friends who's on the team.
tpatrick
Ranger

Post by tpatrick »

Ranger Spartan,

1. I took the ASVAB one year ago and scored a 91.

2. I work out seven days a week, my schedule is as follows(just exercises as my reps, sets, and weights vary weekly:

Monday- Bench press, Incline Press, DB Bench, Military Press, Arnold Press, Barbell Shrugs, Upright and Bent Rows, Close-Grip Bench, Tricep-Ext., Skull Crushers, Pushups, pullups, and Dips. After this I jog a Mile cool-down, later 5-8mile run.

Tuesday- Squat, Front Squats, DB Walking Lunges, One legged Squat, Calf Raises, SLDL's, Lat pulldowns, Leg Ext., Leg Curls, Hammer Curls, Preacher Curls, and Situps. After this I jog a Mile cool-down, later a workout for short distance speed, such as 400m repeats.

Wednesday- All bodyweight exer., pullups, pushups, and situps. After I run two miles aiming for 80 sec. splits on each. That night I swim 400m total.

Thursday- Light Bench Press, Hang Clean, Deadlift, Shrugs, Military Press, Upright and Bent Rows, Tricep Ext., CLose Grip Bench, Dips, Pushups, Pullups. I will run only about 2 miles total all day.

Friday- Light Squat, One Leg Squats, Plyometrics, Situps. I only jog about 2 miles total today as well.

Saturday- 10 mile jog in morning, and pushups, situps, and a raquetball game at night.

Sunday- Hour and a half road march or an Hour Cross-Country march with a 50lb pack. Also a three hour ride on my road bike.

I am 5'10 and weigh 178lbs.
boliverallmon
Tadpole

Post by boliverallmon »

I am wanting to go airborne ranger. I scored a 95 on my ASVAB. I ship out Nov. 14th for BCT. My MOS is 56M. My workout routine consists of this.

500-1000 pushups a day
500+ situps
chins all day long
ruck or run 5+ miles a day.

I keep it simple and sweet.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

boliverallmon wrote:I am wanting to go airborne ranger. I scored a 95 on my ASVAB. I ship out Nov. 14th for BCT. My MOS is 56M. My workout routine consists of this.

500-1000 pushups a day
500+ situps
chins all day long
ruck or run 5+ miles a day.

I keep it simple and sweet.
You need to post an intro in the proper forum before posting again.

You also need to get an avatar.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
boliverallmon
Tadpole

Post by boliverallmon »

My mistake, now corrected.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

boliverallmon wrote:My mistake, now corrected.
You need to read the board FAQ's and read all the announcements and stickies at the top of each forum so you fully understand how this site operates.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

tpatrick

Post by Steadfast »

tpatrick wrote:Ranger Spartan,

1. I took the ASVAB one year ago and scored a 91.

2. I work out seven days a week, my schedule is as follows(just exercises as my reps, sets, and weights vary weekly:

Monday- Bench press, Incline Press, DB Bench, Military Press, Arnold Press, Barbell Shrugs, Upright and Bent Rows, Close-Grip Bench, Tricep-Ext., Skull Crushers, Pushups, pullups, and Dips. After this I jog a Mile cool-down, later 5-8mile run.

Tuesday- Squat, Front Squats, DB Walking Lunges, One legged Squat, Calf Raises, SLDL's, Lat pulldowns, Leg Ext., Leg Curls, Hammer Curls, Preacher Curls, and Situps. After this I jog a Mile cool-down, later a workout for short distance speed, such as 400m repeats.

Wednesday- All bodyweight exer., pullups, pushups, and situps. After I run two miles aiming for 80 sec. splits on each. That night I swim 400m total.

Thursday- Light Bench Press, Hang Clean, Deadlift, Shrugs, Military Press, Upright and Bent Rows, Tricep Ext., CLose Grip Bench, Dips, Pushups, Pullups. I will run only about 2 miles total all day.

Friday- Light Squat, One Leg Squats, Plyometrics, Situps. I only jog about 2 miles total today as well.

Saturday- 10 mile jog in morning, and pushups, situps, and a raquetball game at night.

Sunday- Hour and a half road march or an Hour Cross-Country march with a 50lb pack. Also a three hour ride on my road bike.

I am 5'10 and weigh 178lbs.
How about an update to your progress tpatrick
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
DanteM
Embryo

Post by DanteM »

Ranger Spartan,

I'm 16, and I haven't really written myself a schedule but basically this is my schedule.

Run every other day 3 miles
Push up Improvement thing as it says to do
200 sit ups in the morning, 200 later in the day
Lifting every other day, focusing on doing lots of reps and not lifting really heavy.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”