Neophytes Guide to Rugby

Military Humor. Laugh at me. Laugh at you. Laugh at them.

Moderator: Site Admin

SeabAss626
Embryo

Neophytes Guide to Rugby

Post by SeabAss626 »

If anyone has played rugby before, or is sadomasochistic, you'll enjoy this...this guide is from an unknown person and is widely circulated....I thought you guys may enjoy it.

The Unofficial "Rugby Survival Guide" for Rugby Neophytes

Your First Game
Let's keep it simple at the beginning.
1. Hit anything that is carrying the ball.
Note: Generally you will be more popular if that happens to be a person on the other team, also the referee is not a good target.
2. When you get the ball run like hell!
Note: Your teammates would prefer that to be in the direction of your opponents goal area.

Second Game
Mastering the pass.
1. Pass the ball backwards to a teammate that is in a better position to advance the ball.
Note: Screaming and throwing the ball up in the air to avoid being hit is considered "bad form".
2. Follow slightly behind your teammate who is carrying the ball so that you can receive a pass.
Note: If you drop the ball continuously, you will become what they call a "prop forward".

Third Game
Mastering the kick.
1. Kick the ball forward over your opponents head and catch it on the run.
Note: If you are a forward then dropping the ball near your foot and kicking anyone in the vicinity is good enough.

Subtleties of the Game
Now that you have mastered running, tackling, passing and kicking we'll cover some of the finer points:

The Ruck: This is a situation where 3 to 20 people pile on top of the tackled player. The play is whistled by the the referee when all the air has been compressed out of the tackled player's lungs.

The Maul: Instead of being tackled to ground, the player is kept on his feet by the tacklers. The object is to bend as many of the ball carrier's fingers away from the ball. The play is whistled by the referee after the first cracking sound.

The Line Out: When the ball goes out of the playing area a "throw in" is awarded. The object is to elbow the opposing player's face while attempting to catch the ball.

Offside: In a ruck or maul situation you are not allowed to "steal" the ball from the opposition by running behind the play. It is mandatory that you step on or over the tackled player first.

Scrum: The eight forwards bind together and push against the other forwards. The object is to allow the forwards to beat and bruise each other and give the backs a chance to catch their breath.
Seabass626
A, 107th Engrs, 06/91 - 06/97

You can listen to thunder after lightning and tell how close you came to getting hit. If you don't hear it - you got hit, so never mind.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Sounds a lot like American Ball. Except that really only has one rule.........to win at all costs!
Old Philly Guy
Ranger

Post by Old Philly Guy »

Second Game
Mastering the pass.
1. Pass the ball backwards to a teammate that is in a better position to advance the ball.
Note: Screaming and throwing the ball up in the air to avoid being hit is considered "bad form".
2. Follow slightly behind your teammate who is carrying the ball so that you can receive a pass.
Note: If you drop the ball continuously, you will become what they call a "prop forward".
..and thats why I played the front row...hands like feet!
1/23 later 1/503, 2ID
5/14 Inf, 25th ID
RS 11-86
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Old Philly Guy wrote:
Second Game
Mastering the pass.
..and thats why I played the front row...hands like feet!
Yeah, that sounds familiar.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Rugby

Post by 23LRS »

I wanted to play flanker, but with my blazing speed(not) they put me at loose-head! I absolutely HATED 7's.. too much damn running!
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

I am a flanker and I wish I did not have to do so much running, and I absolutely hate those fucking backs and their constant kicking.. 7's is a bitch espically tournaments where you play four games in a day. Toronto comes to mind.
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

Rugger wrote:I am a flanker and I wish I did not have to do so much running, and I absolutely hate those fucking backs and their constant kicking.. 7's is a bitch espically tournaments where you play four games in a day. Toronto comes to mind.
No doubt, Ranger Rugger. When I was in John Wayne Intl airport last year, I talked to these two guys who had been playing a 7's tourney all weekend, on the flippin beach! Can you imaging what a smoker THAT was!!
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1

Return to “Good Humor Popsicle Zone”