Blister Care

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I bet you pussy hurt bad that day. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
rbarrows
Embryo

Post by rbarrows »

Can I bring Tincture of Benzoine to OSUT with me, or will they just take it away?
" Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind." Leonardo Da Vinci
I will NEVER quit!
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I thought there was something from the army about not allowing tincture of benzoine anymore??

I would put duct tape on the places that I was prone to hotspots or blisters. There was also this green "tape"/fabric by 3m that worked great. Same shit they wrap on horses legs.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Doc,

Or another qualified person.....

Care to give a block of instruction for self-blister care using moleskin?

I used to puncture them/drain them, and then cut a "doughnut" or just a hole in a square piece of moleskin and put it around the blister.

I don't want to steer a DEPshit wrong, is that still the correct way to deal with blisters??? I know they sometimes advise not to pop the blister, but it always worked better for me if I did.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Doc wrote:Ranger BadMutha,

Yes, I would be happy to. If anyone else has some good tips, offer them up.

I always advocate draining the blisters by puncturing them along the skin line with a sterile hypodermic needle. Allow the skin to remain intact. Ensure the area is kept clean and as dry as possible prior to putting anything back on it before training/work.

The "doughnut" idea is valuable in that you don't get direct pressure on the effected area but pad around it. But, covering it completely may ensure more complete protection. Ranger SaltBitch's idea of the 100-mph tape over the blister is also good with the benzoine under it. I used to use a syringe with the benzoine in it to fill the vacancy left by draining the wound. It would harden, causing an instant "callous".

As gay as it sounds, wearing ankle or calf-length pantyhose socks under your cushioned o.d.s serves well as a barrier for the socks to move against each other instead of moving against your skin causing friction.

Besides, they make you feel pretty... :roll:

Check Six,
Doc
Thanks for the info Doc. I experimented with a thin sock and a thicker sock, not my cup of tea. Ain't wearing pantyhose, sorry wasn't a Marine.

Best cure is prevention...100 mile an hour tape on the foot. Do you know what tape by 3m I am talking about?

Jim
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Doc wrote:Maybe, is it called Coban? Sticky elastic bandage that adheres to itself? Also called VetWrap?

Check Six,
Doc
Sounds like the same stuff Doc.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Leatherneck wrote: Tomorrow night we've got a long movement after infil, so I'll let you all know which worked best after the weekend.
Nothing like good field testing.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

i remember one time when horned toad came into the team room with huge blisters on his cock! he said he got them from humping, what or where only he and his wallet knows! :P
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself

Return to “Medical Issues”