any of you ever serve as RTO's?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Speedracer

Post by Speedracer »

Learn the job and do your best, a lot depends on you as the RTO.

With out Commo you dont get crap No / food /water / re-supply / air support / help / or like in the old days be able to call in deliverd pizza (got to have
connections)
A good RTO can become the master of all

On the plus side, being so close to the PL or CO you get some insite on how things run or supose to run.

Good luck
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

If ya haven't already, pick one private from each squad and make him responsible for COMING TO YOU to get batteries issued, and basic commo needs. You have alot to do and it sucks when you gotta drop what you're doing and go handle a a problem or ask around about commo re-supply. Make everyone come to you.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

A lot of this may be common sense to some, but spend a lot of time with the commo dinks picking their brains. Learn everything from them that there is to know about signal propogation and field expedient antennas. Put yourself in a position where you have the knowhow and the confidence to get comms in the shittiest of places. When comms go down, and the mission starts going to shit, your ability to think outside of the box and FIND A WAY to get comms up will either make you a hero or a zero. Even if you have to go SATCOM and relay through the TOC or anywhere else, just find a way to get comms.

Tactfully and respectfully remember that it is your ass on the line for accountability of the sensitive items. Don't run your ass around to everyone making sure they turn their shit in and that it is clean. Make it clear as to when sensative items must be turned in and that they are clean. Give classes on how to properly clean the sensitive items if need be. You have enough to worry about without having to chase the shit down. Make it come to you ready to turn in. Make sure you do the right thing and are tactfull and respectfull at all times with those who outrank you, and are professional about it at all times so that if and when you need a little rank to back up your assertments, your TL and SL will back you up.

Always hump extra batteries for every sensative itme in the Plt. Shitty? Yes. But that's the way it is.

Take care of your PL. When he wigs out, you be the calm confident voice relaying the information he needs to make sound tactical decisions. If he looses his fill, know how to fix it over the air and get him up a rolling again (in my day, that wasn't an RTO level task - it was commo dink stuff, but I could do it all day long, and so should you). He depends on you for that shit, and your buddies depend on him to make the right decisions. You are an integral part of the decision making process for him. Confidence and professionalism is contageous. You may at times be communicating with leaders that the average PFC, etc. rarely speaks to. Learn how to handle that and don't allow intimidation of ranking officers to prevent you from communicating important information clearly and correctly. PLs don't stay PLs for very long. Good ones gain rank and climb the flag pole. It NEVER hurts a young soldier to have an officer that has worked with you side by side and thinks very highly of you. Your reputation of being a competant soldier and a go to guy can be greatly advanced by being an outstanding RTO and taking care of your PL.

Don't stop at simply what is expected of an RTO. Yeah, you may have an FO with you, but know how to call for fire like it is second nature, and know how to do it on every different type of fire mission you guys have at your disposal. Too many RTOs get lulled into signing out the equipment and following the PL around like a shitheel zombie. Be ready to step in at a moment's notice and do the job of the FO RTO, the FO, or any other job that remotely involves communications. It will serve to bolster your PL's confidence in you, and serve to further your reputation (see above).

PLs like to have a young Stud who knows what the fuck he is doing around a radio, regardless of the situation, and who can handle himself outside of his element; who can get those who outrank him to do what needs to be done to standard, and can speak with the BCO as easliy as he can his peers. It makes their jobs easier, makes them look good, and in return makes YOU look good. This isn't spotlighting, it is the standard of prefessionalism.

As far as battery life, I am not sure. I always humped more batteries than I would ever need, along with IVs for when they kicked my ass.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Zonk175 and Creeping Death both hit on the head.

When I was a PL /CDR, my RTO was always a soldier that was being groomed for the next TL / SL position to come open.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

In the brief moments I served as an RTO for our BC, the cool thing about it was that you got to attend the OpOrders for the unit and learn more about big-picture stuff than those at the lower levels of the unit.
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

I'm an RTO right now, I picked it up right when I got back from School. And on my last trip overseas it was awesome knowing what the fuck was going on all the time. Now that we're back it's nice to be able to do pt on my own or w/ the PL/PSG.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I was an RTO twice in fact.

Once for the CO in Vicenza, while I was also on the battalion skydiving team.

The other time was while in a Mech unit for 6 months before going to LRSD. I was the S-3 RTO/Jeep driver. I did have constant contact with field grade officers, which was very informative.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
ChemLightBattery
Tadpole

Post by ChemLightBattery »

thankyou very much for all of the replys. i will read and heed.

CLB
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

ChemLightBattery,

I was not an RTO, I was the F.O. and then FSNCO. Always carried the Radio.

Rules:

1) When you start to fall down, and you will, twist and let the ruck hit first
2) Always have pogy bait for the PL and PSG (Also the Squad leaders that are worth a shit)
3) Listen.... it will give you great insight as to the whole operation, share what you can with the Platoon, sometimes the PSG and PL forget shit.
4) Batteries, batteries, batteries
5) listen to the commo guys and the Forward Observers, (TACP if available) they do this for a living, they know all of the tricks
6) DRINK WATER, you will feel the pain if not.
7) Only fold your antenna if moving through the brush, or working near helicopters, ALWAYS know where your antenna is!, or you will piss off someone who's collar weighs more than yours
8.) Know where you are, at all times. GPS, map, whatever, this will save your life.
9) Always have an extra hand set for the PL or whoever, NEVER let them hook it to their helmet if you are moving... ever see those kids in the malls with the leash attached to their arms? That will be you getting whipped around.
10) NEVER fall behind, no matter how smoked you are, you are no good to the unit if your radio is not available when needed.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”