Worst day of being a parent..............so far

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Worst day of being a parent..............so far

Post by SkyShark »

Yesterday, I received a call from my mom who was very hysterical. Apparently she was in her room folding clothes on the bed. On the other side of the bed was her dog of the past 13 years. Well the dog was playing around on the bed and fell off breaking her neck when she landed. The dog didn't die was was paralyzed from the neck down and was letting out blodd curdling screams and yelps. When I got there, I called the vet, they told me how to imobilized the neck with towles and get her to them. I got her there and after x-rays and pain meds and drugs it was determined the best solution was to put her down. That was pretty hard.

The worst part came a couple hours later when I went to pick up my son from school ( 7 years old) and I had to tell him. Keep in mind that this dog has been around his whole life and they were the best of friends. Jesus that sucked telling him.
This morning he is still dealing with it pretty hard. I know he will get over it after a while, but this is his first dealing with death when it comes to a life that meant so much to him.

Question to parents, have you ever had to deal with something like this and if so how did you deal with it? How long did your child mourn. I know it will pass and I know that there will be a whole lot more heart breaking in the future. Especially when the Grandparents pass.
It's all good.
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

You can't hide anything, it only makes it worse.

They have to learn about death sooner or later. It sucks, but it happens.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Sometimes they never pass. We learn to live with them. I’m 45 and still remember our dog from when I was 7,8,9 and 10. The main thing I would think is to let life roll and try and live happy things with your son. I don’t think he will forget. The pain will subside, after all that’s what he’s feeling. God-awful pain. You should try and live normally and yet you will endure his pain. He must greave and greave he will. The question is for how long. The dog’s memory will remain; being a part of his life it’s just as important as everything else is.

Good luck and show compassion yet be firm. That’s my take.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Zonk 1/75 has a good idea with another puppy.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Daisey

Post by Daisey »

It is very hard to let go of pets. We had to put down our Golden Retriever that was 14 years old in March. We saved his collar and it hangs near our back door. This serves as a reminder to us and the kids of what an awesome dog Tigger was. My kids are 10, 8 & 6 and they talk about Tigger all of the time. I always tell the kids that Tigger is in heaven helping take care of our loved ones that have passed on. That seems to make them feel better. They know what a good dog he was, and it helps them to think that he is in heaven being a good dog for someone else.

I'm with Ranger Chiron. I still remember very vividly my first dog that I got when I was about 3. When he was stolen, my poor little heart just broke.

Your son will get better in time. Just remind him of what a good pet this dog was. And although he can never be replaced, one day he can get a pup of his own to help raise. We got a new Golden Retriever in June...and it's uncanny how he favors Tigger. Ranger looks alot like Tigger and acts alot like him too.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Sound advise everyone posted....not sure about the Puppy thing, thats your call.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
SmileyTFJ

Post by SmileyTFJ »

Daisey wrote:We saved his collar and it hangs near our back door.
We did something similar when I was a kid. I also wrote a story about my favorite memory of our dog. We framed it with a picture of Misty and was a wonderful comforting memory.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

I talked to the Vet today and we are going to have the dog cremated. Also, they are going to have a paw print done. My son was pretty cool with that. Time will tell.

Thanx for all the advice. As far as the puppy goes, my boy actually said last night that he doesn't ever want to have a dog again because he doesn't want to go thought this again. My wife and I explained to him about life and heart aches and all but you know how much a 7 year old is going to retain on that. We were completley honest about everything and didn't hide anything from him so we will just have to see.

Again, thanx for all the advice.
It's all good.
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

A very important life lesson is learning to deal with loss. It is a harsh lesson but it teaches us to cherish the time we have with loved ones and allows us to have memories that comfort us when we experience difficulties in the future.

Damn shame to lose a good dog like that.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
BlueStarMom
Tadpole

Post by BlueStarMom »

I'm so sorry! We have been there. My olderst (my Ranger) was 15 and he took it pretty hard. it hurt me so much more to see him so upset than the pain of loosing the dog. We eventually got more dogs, but he never got attached to them the way he did that dog.
Proud 3/75 mom!
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

So sorry to hear of your loss! I truly believe it is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all. Remember the happy times and drive on!
Cpart84

for what it's worth

Post by Cpart84 »

I'm sorry to hear that Skyshark. I just found out a few weeks ago that my dog has cancer and only has a few more months left to live. When I left for college two weeks ago it was extremely painful because I knew it was probably the last time I'll get to see her. She's 12 and I'm 21 so shes been with me since I was 9; the majority of my life. She is my best friend and I hate to see her dying. The way I see it, when she dies, it's the official end of my childhood.

Your son is alot younger than I and will handle it much differently. I know I personally have no desire to get another dog anytime soon but that's just my perspective. I feel like I could never replace her.

Nothing compares to the unconditional love of a dog. I'm sorry for your loss and am feeling the same pain.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

SkyShark wrote:I talked to the Vet today and we are going to have the dog cremated. Also, they are going to have a paw print done. My son was pretty cool with that. Time will tell.

Thanx for all the advice. As far as the puppy goes, my boy actually said last night that he doesn't ever want to have a dog again because he doesn't want to go thought this again. My wife and I explained to him about life and heart aches and all but you know how much a 7 year old is going to retain on that. We were completley honest about everything and didn't hide anything from him so we will just have to see.

Again, thanx for all the advice.
Give him some time Skyshark.

Loss of a loved one or friend is hard, we've all been there. It takes time.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Cat
Tadpole

Post by Cat »

I'm not a parent but...

My brother-in-law died this year of cancer. He was 36 years old. My neice was 4 :cry:

He had been sick because of the treatments but his death was a shock. He died at home. I was there when my sister walked her daughter in to say goodbye to her father that was already gone.

Sometimes life really MFing sucks :evil:

My neice knows about God, as religion has always been a part of her life, so she knows that her Daddy is up in heaven watching her. She is told that she can talk to him anytime she wants. It makes her feel better to know that he is never far.

Maybe your son can do this as well :)

take care
U.S. Army Signal Corps, 31M7A/31S
385th SigCo (FWD) Kuwait Jan 94- Dec 94
235th(67th) TACSAT Ft Gordon, GA. 95-97
--
Mainz-Kastel, Germany 98-00, AD Dept
Ft Bragg 00-02, AD Dept

Return to “The Mosh Pit”