Katrina--Aid to the US

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
blinc wrote:
Kilted Heathen wrote:Funny you should say that...we just got the call.
H Co 121st LRS is inbound.
Seriously?
DROP!
Ditto! :evil:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
blinc

Post by blinc »

Sorry for being a dumbass Ranger Steadfast and Ranger Kilted Heathen.

Dropped.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
I bet a couple of motivated Ranger types would make a big differance! Wink
Funny you should say that...we just got the call.
H Co 121st LRS is inbound.
I fucking hate you...... :evil:

Happy hunting. :lol:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

I am not sure I made myself as clear as I should have...

Where the assistance comes from will be cleared through the President first and then is formally announced as aide that will be accepted. This prevents bullshit incidents like that when Cuba offerred to assist us during the ballot recount in 2000.

As for Chavez making his public announcement and it being carried, keep in mind always that some leaders have their own agenda. He has turned on a dime and has been incredibly apoligetic over the past weeks, so I would actually expect his offers to continue. Further, while I DO NOT expect us to accept any offers of assistance from any singular nation of Europe, especially with the prevaling attitudes of some European states to other Foriegn Policy that we have on-going. (We cannot look like we are two faced, regardless of the situation, we must remain strong and hold on to our strength and resolve), what will happen however is that the European Union will put together an aide package. Most like an oil package with some rescue equipment or other similar items.

I feel confident we will accept that as it will not look as if we are betraying our own policies and certainly not look as if we are turning backstepping... While it may not seem important during the short run, there are other sides of the issue, more than one can fathom in one sitting to consider. As this comes together, coupled with some market modifications-things are coming together. I would say it's most important to avoid speculation and rumor, avoid stockpiling gasoline (buying more than you need for vehicles and travel you don't need to be doing, etc.)

Good Luck
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
LLVI_Guy
Paratrooper

Post by LLVI_Guy »

The latest, according to Foxnews, is that Sec. Rice has announced that the US will accept all foreign aid offered. The article also contains a list of the potential contributor-nations thus far: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168203,00.html
Romans, these are your arts: to bear dominion over the nations, to impose peace, to spare the conquered and subdue the proud. -Virgil Aeneid 6.851
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Remember, this "Still, Bush told ABC-TV: "I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it." has always been our policy and when you read the entire article, you will see that we would normally not EVER accept foriegn aide. I am guessing-as I have no clue-that the magnitude of this event has outscoped all of our wildest expectations.

Further, the second guessing that's already going on, a mere four days into the response lets one know that there's going to be no right answer, for the Adminstration, Congress, the military, certainly for the first responders. While to me the ones who should be villified are those evil bastards who are and have been committing all of the crimes.

While the looting is an annoyance, I am speaking more of the acts of violence, the armed gangs lending credibility to the visions some other Nations have of us being a country of thugs. Raping and killing at will. I have long advocated some actions that have been on the edge, well here's another-kill them. Kill them immediately if they are seen on the street with a weapon. (Now, I am not speaking to owning a weapon or protecting ones property.) I am speaking of those who are walking the streets as predators, in groups or even alone. If you have a weapon and are on the streets, you are immediately subject to being shot on sight, period end of story. Further, if you are found to be looting, commiting any act of violence you are subject to the same, shoot them policy. I am done with this whole episode.

I've now been briefed on PD's being shot at, rapes, murders, the entire gambit of crime. And while law enforcement and crowd control has been one of the areas in which I have received extensive training in my life, I will say this. These people have left the boundries of society, they have left all that is humane and civil. So, fuck them-kill them and let them float to the sea to be eaten by the turtles. The shoot to kill order has already had some success and only when these people see that its being followed up on will it be totally successfull.

To all who are there or going, good luck and Godspeed. To all Texans in the path of these hoodlums, your kindness and caring will not be forgetten, but don't be stupid. Remember what Houston was like in the early to mid-80's. Don't let those who are criminals among this lot take your city back to a bad place. You have been experiencing an economic boom for the past decade, can any city accept an influx of 110k homeless without economic support? Keep on your legislators to fund this project untill these people are moved back home and placed back into their own communities, jobs and lives. And there will be plenty of employment in NO, as rebuilding begins.

Thus ends my daily rant.
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Sir (Vak),

I have heard that the President has had to lift a number of restrictions that would have inhibited the relief effort. Could you address what those may have been and for how long the reprieve will last.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I was amazed that Sri Lanka one of the December Tsunami victims gave $25,000 for aid to the Katrina victims. Good for them. I don’t believe other countries with good economic power have not sent aid. They say that Germany, France and the U.K. will release oil reserves to the U.S. in assistance as well.

It’s looking very bad my prayers to the people suffering.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “The Mosh Pit”