what to say?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
ghost06
Tadpole

what to say?

Post by ghost06 »

SFC Hit_it. I have searched for the answer to my question, I was able to find some information involving it, but not exactly what I am looking for. I know that when I go to MEPS, I will not take NO for an answer. I know that if they try and talk me out of my Opt 40 I will stand my ground and not settle for anything else beside what I want. My question to you is, if that situation were to arise, is there a way to pass that on so I get my point accross without sounding obnoxious? I don't want to piss off anyone there, but I also don't want to settle for anything else. Should I say something like, All I want is the 11X with Option 40. If you don't have a slot then when would be a better time to come back? or should I be stronger in saying what I want hoping to get it that day instead of being put off? Also will I have a better chance of getting an Opt 40 at the beginning of the month? or does it not matter?

Also if there are any current DEPS here that have had this situation occur how did you respond and get what you wanted? Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

You have to decide what you want! Once you have decided do not settle for anything else. Do not accept a "Chance to Volunteer for Airborne and RIP after AIT". The recruiters need you more than you need them. DO NOT ACCEPT LESS THAN WHAT YOU WANT. If you want to have an 11X OPT-40 then let them know through your actions and speech that you WILL NOT JOIN WITHOUT THE CONTRACT!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
ghost06
Tadpole

Post by ghost06 »

Understood Ranger Silverback, I just didn't want to push anyone's buttons up there by saying something that would irk them.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

ghost06 wrote:Understood Ranger Silverback, I just didn't want to push anyone's buttons up there by saying something that would irk them.
"Irk them"? Are you afraid they won't let you join?...Either you get what want or they don't! Don't be a weak cunt and let them tempt you with BULLSHIT! GET WHAT YOU WANT.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
ghost06
Tadpole

Post by ghost06 »

Roger that Ranger Silverback, I guess to clarify on my 'irk' post, I just didn't want to piss off the wrong person and get screwed over somehow later for it.
Either you get what want or they don't!
Sounds like a good game plan your advice is appreciated.
Also, I go up this next tuesday Aug. 2nd I will let you know what they say.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

You tell them what you want when they ask you.

If you have the scores for it, you can get it.

If it ain't there, say thanks for you time get up and go out of the office. poker face.

They'll call Knox and get it loaded for you.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

You arnt in the army yet bud, so what if you piss them off ....Belive me they need you.

Hell if my current company is an example.... then they will take anyone with a pulse and two teeth that meet in the middle. I cant begin to discribe the fuckin horror stories I am dealing with.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

rgrpuck wrote: then they will take anyone with a pulse and two teeth that meet in the middle. I cant begin to discribe the fuckin horror stories I am dealing with.
And those are the women! :shock:

Don't settle for anything less than what you want. Once you sign... it's the needs of the Army if it's not in the contract.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Table of Elements Skater
Future Soldier

Re: what to say?

Post by Table of Elements Skater »

ghost06 wrote:Also if there are any current DEPS here that have had this situation occur how did you respond and get what you wanted? Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.
I dont know if they do this everywhere, but I reserved my job at my recruiting office. If you can do this, do it. I went down to MEPS, they saw what I reserved and bam. I walked right outta there with what I wanted, no problems at all.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Silverback wrote:You have to decide what you want! Once you have decided do not settle for anything else.
Not only does this apply to getting your Opt. 40 Ranger contract,
this also applies to other decisions you will make later as well.

Think about why
you want what you want as well. This is important to find out before the shit hits the fan.

When I went thru RIP the chin/pull up requirement was 10. I am a big guy with looooooooong arms. I was always pretty good with PT but had sprained my wrist a day before the AFPT. I was only able to do 9 that day.

But I never left the bar.

I was allowed 30 seconds or so to struggle before I was nose-to-nose with the senior RIP instructor.
He at first asked me to get off the bar. Then he ordered me to remove myself from the bar.

He says to me now, "My name is SFC ***** I am a Non-Commisioned Officer in the United States Army.
I have now given you a DIRECT ORDER. You now are in violation of Army Regulation AR- blah blah blah and are now subject to and will receive UCMJ action up to and including Court Marshall. I am now authorizing the use of deadly force to remove your !@#$%^&*&^%$#@! ^&* &^$#@!~ &%$*&%^? %$#@!*&%!!! ugly ass from my chin up bar. Do you understand me, private?

I did. :shock:

If I let myself get intimidated into dropping off that bar that day, I would not be talking to you today as a Ranger. I hung on that bar for well over 5 minutes. (a stop watch was produced) My bed linens were stripped and personal belongings were tossed into the street. Mp's had been notified and were by now on site.

Deadly force finally came in the form of a well placed sucker punch to the groin. I had been spat on as well.

Kid, I was in a world of shit
You come back on this web site now and tell me you did not secure an Option 40 Ranger contract, I will kill you myself.

Later, one of my RIP buddies told me I had been urinated on as well. I have never confirmed this, but afterwords I did smell like piss. It may have been my own! :shock:

Before I joined the Army to be a Ranger, I had decided what I wanted, and would not settle for anything less. I had plenty of time to think about why I wanted to be a Ranger that day, and I'm glad I had my answer before I went in.

Before I left the bar that day, I had completed a total of 19 chin-ups.

On graduation day, when the command came to "Don Beret's" I was instructed to stand fast. I was called out of formation and watched from the sidelines (tip here, I had a good poker face that day) as I watched my classmates become Rangers.

Then SFC ***** told me that I was a !@#$%^&* *&^%$#@! and was not worthy to don the Ranger Beret myself.

He did it for me.

All because I had decided what I wanted. Knew why I wanted it, and would not settle for anything less.

Good luck, kid. :D
ghost06
Tadpole

Post by ghost06 »

Thank you Ranger RTO. Definitely an inspiring story. The only reason I won't end up with what I want after hearing that story would be if I didn't have the scores, and even then I would try to find a way. Impressive willpower you have there, I do not know if I would have been able to hold on after a sucker punch to the groin.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: what to say?

Post by hit_it »

Table of Elements Skater wrote:
ghost06 wrote:Also if there are any current DEPS here that have had this situation occur how did you respond and get what you wanted? Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.
I dont know if they do this everywhere, but I reserved my job at my recruiting office. If you can do this, do it. I went down to MEPS, they saw what I reserved and bam. I walked right outta there with what I wanted, no problems at all.
The point of sale program is not everywhere yet.

It's starting to field nationally and should be good to go by the end of the year.

Basically, you test, then reserve your job at the office or from your house by use of the recruiter's laptop.

From that point you have 7 days to go take the physical and make sure you're qualified and the job is your to keep.

We do not have it in NYC.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

ghost06 wrote:Thank you Ranger RTO. Definitely an inspiring story. The only reason I won't end up with what I want after hearing that story would be if I didn't have the scores, and even then I would try to find a way. Impressive willpower you have there, I do not know if I would have been able to hold on after a sucker punch to the groin.
Memory fails me now, if it was the punch to the groin or the spittle on the face that inspired me to hang on and do 10 more chin-ups.

One thing is for certain, if in fact I WAS urinated on, that was definately the low point of my military career.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

ghost06 wrote:Thank you Ranger RTO. Definitely an inspiring story. The only reason I won't end up with what I want after hearing that story would be if I didn't have the scores, and even then I would try to find a way. Impressive willpower you have there, I do not know if I would have been able to hold on after a sucker punch to the groin.
You have the scores. You qualify for the job. The only thing between you and an 11X Option 40 contract is you and your will to make it happen. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!
It's all good.
ghost06
Tadpole

Post by ghost06 »

I will SkyShark, and if they don't give it to me that day I will just leave and try again another time. Also, I found out my ASVAB scores I got a 94 for the english/science/math stuff, and my GT was 127. I will report back when I get back from MEPS and let you how it went. Thank you all for your help about MEPS and how to act, it is appreciated.

Return to “Recruitment Process”